PDA

View Full Version : Yet another thread about Chicco Keyfit 30 and Graco Snugride 32

redrice
09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Hello all,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I still cannot make up my mind after comparing these two infant car seats! I list the pros and cons and hope you guys can chime in and share whether the "cons" bother you. I'll be a first-time mom in December.

Chicco Keyfit 30:

Pros - side impact protection
- better fabric, better build in general
- really easy to install
- has infant padding (I don't know how useful this is, but according to other posters, they like this feature).

Cons - can't find matching stroller frame. The one we tried, Baby Trend, didn't fit well. However, I saw some posters say that even though the car seat doesn't snap in, it still feels secure. My DH and I didn't feel that it was secure at all... I wonder if we put it on wrong? Would really like to hear some input on this. We feel uncomfortable if it's not snapped in place.
- Some parents say that the fabric is not breathable so the baby could get hot.
- Doesn't fit in the basket of a shopping cart.

Graco SnugRide 32

Pros - Can find matching stroller frame easier.
- Can use it for longer than Keyfit 30.
- Fits in the basket of a shopping cart.

Cons - Doesn't seem as easy to install or take the carrier in and out of the base compared to Keyfit.
- No side impact protection

I think that's it... In general, we like Chicco Keyfit better, especially for the side impact protection. But not being able to find a matching stroller frame (or at least one that snaps in securely) really bothers us. For those that have Chicco Keyfit 30 - do you find that to be a problem? Or is there another model that has all the features we want, that's under $200?

Thanks in advance!

drako
09-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I have the Chicco Keyfit 22. We got it as part of the travel system. I think the stroller is the Cortina. Why can't you use the Chicco Keyfit 30 with the Cortina? I have seen other moms use the keyfit 30 with a chicco stroller. The only thing I didn't like was the carseat wouldn't clip onto shopping cart. Not a big deal, since DH and I shop together and he would either push carseat and stroller (which I liked better- less germs on the bottom of carseat to track in house) or would put the carseat in the bottom of the shopping cart. As DD got older we put her in the baby bjorn or ergo carrier. She prefers that anyway since she gets so much attention from people at stores - great socialization. As far as using the seat longer - we already put DD in the convertible because she was getting too heavy to lug around even though she didn't outgrow it. She seems to like the converible better since she isn't as confined.

redrice
09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Drako, thanks for your input! Good point about the shopping cart... I didn't think of it, but you're right. I too shop with my DH most of the time so I guess one of us could push the stroller.

As for the stroller... we decided not to get a travel system since the stroller that comes with it is way too heavy compared to a simple stroller frame. I have a friend who bought the travel system (not sure which brand she got), as well as a stroller frame, and she told me that she rarely uses the travel system due to the weight. Also the travel system stroller doesn't fit in the trunk of my tiny car... :(

arivecchi
09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Some posters have said the Keyfit works with the Maclaren Easy Traveller. I think you are better off not getting a travel system as, IMO, there are much better strollers out there.

codex57
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM
There's side impact protection on the Graco. The base isn't quite as easy to install, but it's not hard. Both are known to be "easy" to install. How often do you need to reinstall the base anyways?

I've never heard of anyone thinking it's hard to get the seat in and out of the base.

Other than the slight ease of install difference, you don't really have any cons listed for the Graco, and how often are you gonna have to reinstall the seat? Plus, it's not like there's a huge difference in ease of install anyways.

See if you like the Cortina stroller? It's perfectly fine for many, altho if you really get into strollers, there are a lot more "popular" or "better" strollers out there.

redrice
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
There's side impact protection on the Graco. The base isn't quite as easy to install, but it's not hard. Both are known to be "easy" to install. How often do you need to reinstall the base anyways?

I've never heard of anyone thinking it's hard to get the seat in and out of the base.

Other than the slight ease of install difference, you don't really have any cons listed for the Graco, and how often are you gonna have to reinstall the seat? Plus, it's not like there's a huge difference in ease of install anyways.

See if you like the Cortina stroller? It's perfectly fine for many, altho if you really get into strollers, there are a lot more "popular" or "better" strollers out there.

codex, are you referring to Graco Safeseat? I thought that Snugride 32 is the "new" Safeseat? However, I just saw that some sites are still selling Safeseat (I didn't see it in the BRU store). If it's similar to Snugride 32, PLUS the side impact protection, then I think this is the winner. :) According to Baby Bargains, I think Safeseat doesn't have as many compatible strollers as Snugride, but I suppose the Graco Snugride stroller should work fine. I'm going to do some reading on that. Thanks!

codex57
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
They just renamed the Safeseat the SnugRide 32. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that any of the minor changes in weight, etc to the Snugride 32 would apply to the Safeseat. Snugride name is more well known. It's just the same seat with a different name and new cover patterns.

If you can live with covers on the SafeSeat, it's fine to just pick one of those. I use the name SafeSeat and SnugRide 32 interchangeably cuz they're the same seat. It's the 22 lb weight limit SnugRide 22 that is different.

srhs
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I am on my second go-round with our KF30, so I can throw some opinions out, although maybe not anything you haven't already read here...

Chicco Keyfit 30:

Pros - side impact protection
- better fabric, better build in general
- really easy to install
- has infant padding (I don't know how useful this is, but according to other posters, they like this feature).

I like the infant padding; is there none with the Graco? I've read enough warnings here against aftermarket products that I only use the KF's padding, and it's been sufficient for both of my newborns.

Cons - can't find matching stroller frame. The one we tried, Baby Trend, didn't fit well. However, I saw some posters say that even though the car seat doesn't snap in, it still feels secure. My DH and I didn't feel that it was secure at all... I wonder if we put it on wrong? Would really like to hear some input on this. We feel uncomfortable if it's not snapped in place.
- Some parents say that the fabric is not breathable so the baby could get hot.
- Doesn't fit in the basket of a shopping cart.

-Did you try out the Chicco Trevi or Cortina (both of which take the KF and are under $200)?
-Hot not breathable fabric (and small sunshade) have been my main complaints with ours, but when are you due? And do you live in a hot climate?
-I actually like that it doesn't fit in the seat of the cart. It's not safe to put baby up there anyway. Since it doesn't fit, I'm not tempted to do it even if I have a lot of groceries! I just put it in the big basket. I'll confess DS1 "held" a few items with his legs a few times. ;)

Graco SnugRide 32

Pros - Can find matching stroller frame easier.
- Can use it for longer than Keyfit 30.
- Fits in the basket of a shopping cart.

Cons - Doesn't seem as easy to install or take the carrier in and out of the base compared to Keyfit.
- No side impact protection

For me, the big pain this go-round has been finding a double stroller that meets our needs that accommodates the KF30. Big pain! Other people have no issue with this because their needs are different. If you anticipate needing a double you want your carrier to snap into, I'd go with the Graco. Just so many more options of compatibility!

lorinick
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
The Safe seat and Snug Ride 32 is the same seat and the which ever seat you pick they work with all of the Graco strollers. They may not match but they do snap together. The Graco seat's do work really well with the frame. I'm don't like that the Chicco Key Fits do not click into the frame either. Also not a fan of the Cortina stroller, since the harness straps on the stroller are shorter on one side than the other. Making it hard to use it as a five pt. system. I've seen alot of returns and complains after the infant seat isn't being used any longer. I would use the frame and pick a different stroller later. There are alot of good one's to pick.

becca_g
09-29-2009, 04:00 PM
My understanding is that the Cortina stroller weighs a lot less than other brands of travel system strollers (although it's not as light as a stroller frame). Also doesn't solve the problem of the Cortina not fitting in your trunk.

After much debate similar to yours, we purchased the KF 30 in Romantic (love, love, love the fabric!!!) and are registered for the Cortina stroller.

o_mom
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
codex, are you referring to Graco Safeseat? I thought that Snugride 32 is the "new" Safeseat? However, I just saw that some sites are still selling Safeseat (I didn't see it in the BRU store). If it's similar to Snugride 32, PLUS the side impact protection, then I think this is the winner. :) According to Baby Bargains, I think Safeseat doesn't have as many compatible strollers as Snugride, but I suppose the Graco Snugride stroller should work fine. I'm going to do some reading on that. Thanks!

All the Graco infant seats (Snugride22, Snugride32/35, SafeSeat1) have side impact protection in the form of EPS foam around the head area. This is the same type of protection offered on the KeyFit.

pastrygirl
09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I use the KF30 with the Maclaren Easy Traveler. It fits great!

I was also torn between the two, until I installed them both. I fell in love with the Keyfit install!

babychi
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I also highly recommend the Keyfit with the Maclaren Easy Traveller. The Mac is so easy to steer and is the best of the car seat frame strollers IMO.

GraceH
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I :heartbeat: my Graco SR32(SS1), it has gotten us to age 2.

--- It was a lifesaver to have the option to take the seat inside during inclement weather of TWO Chicago winters... not that I always took it in, but the option is super convenient
--- the canopy on the SR32 is also better than the KF30 IMO since it's not short and not attached to the seat back
--- I had no troubles with the base install (actually, I usually used the seatbelt install and I love it!)
--- as others have said, the SR32 has pretty deep wings for an infant seat as well as EPS foam lining, so I felt baby was well protected
--- both KF30 & SR32 have the head surrounds, but the KF30 has a butt/lower back pad - however, the lower KF30 pad comes out at 11lbs anyway, and the same effect is possible with rolled blankets for the first week or two, if necessary (we never needed it)
--- as others have also pointed out, a Graco seat has many more available adapters & accessories - two that I have and love are my Graco Mosaic stroller (only slightly more than a frame, leaves stroller option avail. if baby is awake, compact fold, narrow footprint that fits btwn clothing racks...) and the Graco SnugGlider Swing Frame (takes the seat to become a swing - great storage spot for seat indoors)... just about any Graco adapter should take the SR32 (think: BOB, UppaBaby, Bugaboo...)

PS - the SR32 is being re-issued as the SR35, and there are sneak-peek pics out -- some are at the top of the thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1002104 (note updated padding insert and also the umbrella stroller in 'Nolan', that's the infant-seat accepting Mosaic stroller)

redrice
09-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you all for your helpful input! I did not know that Snugride offers some kind of side impact protection, nor did I know about the potential risk regarding infant seat in shopping carts! Someone brought up a very good point: the compatibility issue with double strollers. We do plan to have another one soon, so this will likely be a big problem. As much as I love KF, I think just for compatibility reason, we'll have to go with Snugride. Thanks again!

LoveBeingMrs
10-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Thank you all for your helpful input! I did not know that Snugride offers some kind of side impact protection, nor did I know about the potential risk regarding infant seat in shopping carts! Someone brought up a very good point: the compatibility issue with double strollers. We do plan to have another one soon, so this will likely be a big problem. As much as I love KF, I think just for compatibility reason, we'll have to go with Snugride. Thanks again!

If you want to wait for the SnugRide 35, it'll be out by the end of this year (hopefully).

satchnbucky
10-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Love our keyfit. Love the fabric, ease of use, install with base or with seatbelt. Also love that the base has a flat bottom (though I think the newer gracos may as well). I like my cortina stroller and I have a snap 'n go that works well too (there are different settings - you have to make sure to set it to the proper position). As for the shopping cart - some shopping carts it will fit into the front, others not, however all car seats (including the graco) state that you are not supposed to put the seat into the front of the shopping cart - it's actually a safety issue. I see the compatibility issues - I think as Chicco becomes more popular though, there will be more compatible strollers...

redrice
10-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks again for those who helped! We decided to get a snugride32 and a Metrolite stroller (we got the travel system, actually). Originally we just wanted a light-weight stroller frame and were not considering getting a travel system. However, after trying it at BRU, we realized that Metrolite is not as heavy as other travel systems, and we really like the way that it steers. :) We also looked at Mosaic. While it folds more compactly, Metrolite is a little lighter than Mosaic so that was the deciding factor. The only problem is that the stroller (neither Metrolite nor Mosaic) would not fit in my trunk so I guess I'll have to trade cars with my husband (he'll be happy to drive my convertible!). The plan is to use it for a while and decide whether it's still too heavy/bulky for me. If so, then we'll consider getting a stroller frame as well. Seems to be the reverse order of what most people suggest though (stroller frame first and then decide which stroller to get). Oh well.

I have another question... many posters here advise against travel systems because the strollers that come with the travel systems tend to be inferior compared to other strollers. Does that apply to Metrolite as well? I'm not sure if Metrolite is considered a travel system, since one could also buy the stroller individually? Also, individual Metrolite strollers are identical as the ones that come with the Metrolite travel system, right? Just wanted to make sure... :) Thanks!

AnnieW625
10-12-2009, 12:27 AM
We never had a travel system with DD because I already had a hand me down Peg Perego Pliko and since I had a Graco Snugride it wasn't compatable unless I got a strap from Peg, which I never did. We just moved DD straight from the car seat to the stroller.

As far as the Metrolite goes I have some friends who have them and are very happy with them. Had I not had the Peg or decided I wanted another carriage stroller I could use as a travel system I most likely would've looked at the Metrolite too. We opted for an umbrella stroller instead and we've been quite happy.

codex57
10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Metrolite is one of the better Graco strollers. That said, I'd pay a bit more and get something else, but that's just cuz I'm into strollers as much as car seats. Pricewise, the Graco strollers are nice cuz they always go on big sales. If you can live with how they are (usability), then there's nothign really wrong with them. It's just that if you try out some of the nicer ones, you find features that you fall in love with.

It's like going to buy a car. You're fine with the basic economy car. However, some of the fancier models have bells and whistles that are quite nice. Some don't even cost that much more or are just about the same in price. I'd equate the Graco strollers with a Chevy Cobalt. Your standard, basic car. There are cheaper things out there (like a Kia), but there are also comparable ones for about the same price (Civic, Corolla, Focus, Camry, Accord, etc). The problem with Graco strollers is there's no "nicer" model like a Chevy Malibu.

Jennifer626
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
The car comparison is a good one. Some people are ok (or love) a basic car. I personally *need* a sunroof and leather seats, and a nice big cupholder next to my driver's seat. So if I can get that for only a few dollars more, I'm much happier. Same thing with strollers. I really like having a reversible stroller, so DD can face me, or face outside, and I'm willing to pay a little more to have that option.

Overall, a Metrolite is a great budget friendly stroller, it was on my short list when I first started looking.