PDA

View Full Version : Iphone questions...again...

tylersmama
09-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I've been lusting after an iphone for quite some time. Well, after a friend posted on FB yesterday that the Today show's money expert says it's ok to splurge if it's an item you'll use everyday, I decided to take that to heart and I think I'm going to pull the trigger. :p Besides, my birthday is coming up, so I'm pre-emptively spending any birthday money I might get!

I think, based on past threads, that I'm going to go with the 16GB iphone 3GS.

A couple of questions, though...

Does it make any difference whether I buy it at the AT&T store or at the Apple store?

Apple care: yes or no? I tend to avoid extended warranties like the plague, but a couple of friends have recommended it.

Anything else I should know before I go plunk down $200+ that I can't really afford? :loveeyes:

BillK
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Well...

The Apple store cannot waive activation fees - while the ATT store can if that's important to you. If you want to look at accessories - there's gonna be a LOT more at the Apple store though.

I'm not so sure on Apple Care - I didn't buy it. But you can pull the trigger before your first year is up as I recall. Maybe verify that and think about a bit? I'm not a fan of extended warranties either.

As far as cases for your iPhone go - if you want lots of protection - get an Otterbox Defender (available in Pink, White, Yellow/Black and Black) - www.otterbox.com (http://www.otterbox.com) - if you don't need or want lots of protection - www.switcheasy.com (http://www.switcheasy.com) has some cool as heck cases too - the Capsule Rebels are super slick looking. My wife has the black Otterbox Defender and I have the Yellow/Black - we both love em - they're fantastic protection and cover all the ports and switches on the iPhone.

Both my wife and I have the Power Support Anti-Glare screen protectors on our iPhones (I have a 32gb 3gs and she's got the 16gb 3gs). They're nice - especially if you get an Otterbox as the clear screen on the Otterbox will cause an "oil slick" look between it and the iPhone's screen. Power Support also makes a "Crystal" screen protector if you don't like the "rough" looking Anti-Glare version. Both are available at the Apple Store at www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com) - only the Anti-Glare one will eliminate the "oil slick" if plan to get an Otterbox Defender though.

You'll LOVE the iPhone - my wife is a total NON-techy/geek person and she's not put it down in like 2 months now. :)

sidmand
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. Not sure about the Apple store vs. AT&T. We bought ours at the Apple store. Made an appointment, they transferred over our phone number (we had Verizon) and it all went smoothly.

We (both DH and I have the same phone) have the 8GB 3G. Besides everything else I LOVE IT. And I was so not a cell phone user before. I never even thought about it until DH pointed out too that we both have the same phone and use it a lot but both for very different functions.

I love being able to go on the Internet and checking my e-mail (and Facebook, shhh!). He uses his as an iPod for the most part but the other functions as well. He uses the apps probably more than I do. Especially the sport scores.

I have a movie on there for when I work out and videos for the kids (who aren't supposed to use it of course).

Okay, back to your actual questions:
We didn't get Apple care. I tend to stay away from those as well. Not sure if it would have been good. So far, so good. In the past by the time any warranty would have expired I was ready for a new item anyway. I believe they say the battery life will last about a year based on regular charging. I don't know how much a battery costs vs. a new phone but I would imagine I would be looking at that carefully when it comes time.

The plan is about $70/month. I'm sure you know that too. I wish the phone was the only expense but we got rid of our landline when we got our iPhones so with that expense plus the regular expense of the cell phone we figured it about added up.

We didn't get unlimited texting but it's plenty enough for me. Not plenty enough for DH but he was also getting Tweets on his phone, plus Amazon deals of day, plus regular old texting. I never texted before the iPhone so it's pretty much only him and once in awhile a few others.

Have fun! I use it even more than I was hoping I would (to justify it!). DH is just happy that I now actually hear my cell phone ring. :)

ETA: Yes, a case and a screen protector are a must. We bought them at the Apple Store when we were there but if we had had some foresight perhaps we would have checked out eBay or something else. I can't remember what I got for the screen protector but mine is much nicer than the one I did eventually get on eBay. I don't need a huge amount of protection and really like the clear zCover I bought but there are a ton of different cases out there. But a case is probably very important!

TwinFoxes
09-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I bought mine at the Apple Store. I'd rather be in the Apple Store than a cell phone store any day of the week!

I skipped Apple Care (I did buy it for my laptop).

I bought my case from a kiosk in the mall. $20. It's giraffe print and I love it! My previous $20 case lasted until I upgraded to my current phone. I don't have a screen protector. I have dropped mine, kept in the bottom of my purse, and in my pocket with keys. No scratches. I had been planning to get a screen protector but two Apple Store employees told me not to bother. So far they've been right. :)

sidmand
09-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I had been planning to get a screen protector but two Apple Store employees told me not to bother. So far they've been right. :)

Interesting...I only bought mine because after using it for 1/2 hour it had my fingerprints all over it! I bought it not so much to protect it from scratches but to get the antiglare view and so I didn't have to continually wipe off my fingerprints. For that it's been great. I honestly wasn't even thinking about scratches necessarily.

kristenk
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I'll weigh in on the screen protector issue. I have the 3g and managed to get a couple of scratches on the screen before I realized that I should buy a screen protector. It wasn't unprotected for long, and I tried to keep it in a specific pocket of my purse that was free of other items, but it did manage to end up in the bottom of my purse a few times and that's not a happy place for phones to be.

From now on, I will *always* buy a screen protector, just in case. It doesn't cost much and I much prefer the anti-gloss finish that my screen now has!

Enjoy your new iphone!

tylersmama
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I would definitely get a screen protector...my phone gets tossed around so much in the purse and diaper bag that it gets really beat up!

I already have AT&T service, so is there still an activation fee? I'm out of contract and eligible for an upgrade, if it matters. And I'm already paying for a smartphone, so I think it's the same cost for the service plan, it would just be a WAY better phone! :)

The apple care was recommended because of the battery life thing. That's a good idea, though, to check replacement cost vs. cost of apple care.

I think it's going to be Thursday before I have a chance to go pick one up, so I've got a little time to do some more research!

ThreeofUs
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
DH and I both got the 3GS; it's wonderful.

We did not buy AppleCare for them; the warranty does not cover accidents or anything really that we thought likely to happen. Even the rep in the store told us it wasn't worth it.

We did, however, buy frogskinz (a screen protector and a rubber back, all together) and they are a blessing. The screen protector really does a great job of keeping the screen from scratches, etc., and the slightly tacky back makes the phone a LOT less likely to fall, and gives it a little cushion when it does.

GL!

TwinFoxes
09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Interesting...I only bought mine because after using it for 1/2 hour it had my fingerprints all over it! I bought it not so much to protect it from scratches but to get the antiglare view and so I didn't have to continually wipe off my fingerprints. For that it's been great. I honestly wasn't even thinking about scratches necessarily.

Do you have a 3G or 3GS? The 3GS has an oil resistant screen. It definitely shows fewer fingerprints than my old iPhone. Oleophobic they call it.

tylersmama
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, I did it. I am the proud owner of a 16GB 3GS iPhone.

After spending the afternoon playing with it (and NOT doing my homework, like I *should* have been), I think I have the hang of it now.

Thanks for the input. I ended up with the Speck CandyShell case (in pink!) and the anti-glare screen protector that Bill recommended. So far, very happy with both. I've downloaded apps for Facebook, Twitter, Google, and figured out how to set up my email account. I think one of the only things I haven't done is actually called someone on it! :p

I did end up getting Apple Care. I've heard from multiple sources that the batteries have a tendency to go, and if they do, you have to replace the whole phone, in which case it's WELL worth spending $70 now vs. another $200+ in a year. Of course, I'm sure I won't end up using it. :rolleyes:

TwinFoxes
09-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Yay! Have fun with it! You'll be amazed how much you use it. "Ranch Rush" is a fun time wasting game if you need one. And the Amazon App is very handy. I hope you have fun with your new toy. :)