PDA

View Full Version : Children's dentists

Reyadawnbringer
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
I know I am not crazy... I swear I have read from several sources that it is recommended that children see a dentist by their first birthday or whenever their first teeth start to break through.

At 11 months X already has 8 teeth and we just started to see 2 more getting ready to break through. I asked my dental office (front office ladies) if they could recommend a good pediatric dentist. They asked how old the child was and when I told them they literally laughed at me. They said no one would see a child that young. They even went so far as to say that children don't need to see a dentist until they are about 4 or 5- since they won't hold their mouth open. I was floored by this response and I am pretty sure that even if a dentist won't see children under 1 they would DEFINITELY be seeing one waaaay before they were 4 or 5 years old.

I then took the card off the wall for the pedi dentist and decided that I would call them and ask for myself. When I did call they said that they won't see children until after their first birthday. I just don't understand this. It has been so hard even finding a dentist that would see him that early. And really, when talking about the mouth is there really THAT big of a difference between 11 mo and 12 mo??

Anyone else run into these problems or am I jumping the gun on dental care?

(Note: family has a history of "bad teeth" so I really want to start this habit with X early)

JBaxter
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I was a hygienist for 17 yrs and all the dentists I worked for recommended the first visit at about 3 yrs old OR if the parents saw something questionable ( shadows, discolored etc)
Some ped dentists will see a child at 1 yr old. Honestly there isnt much of anything they can DO with a 1 yr old except charge you for an exam.

I took all mine in about 3 ish. Logan did have a developmental pit that was discolored they sealed over.

HIU8
09-29-2009, 03:05 PM
The ped dentist we go to wants to see a child the first time between the ages of 2 and 3. DS was 3 on his first visit. DD's first visit will be next week. She will be 28 months.

AnnieW625
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I asked my dentist and hygenist and they said that we could wait until 2/1/2 or 3 unless we saw problems. I do agree that even a 3 year old can have an issue keeping their mouth open and not biting down, just wait until you have to brush X's teeth and X is biting down on the toothbrush or your finger.

We waited until DD was 3 and DD's teeth are fine. They said that they wanted to wait until all of the teeth were in. I am one of those people that will pay good money for dental care even if I didn't have insurance (which I do) and I don't feel like I was a bad parent for waiting until 3 to get DD to the dentist.

infocrazy
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think the difference in the mouth is the issue, just in the kid in general.

My dentist said 4 or 5 but they also don't allow the parent to come back so they weren't an option for me. I have always heard three and scheduled DS1 for just after his third Bday. When we went for his 3 yo well baby visit, they asked if we scheduled it, so I'm going to go with that.

I found a pediatric dentist that I am really happy with and they said at the first visit, they would consider it a success if they could just count teeth! DS1 cried for the first part, these tools ARE a little creepy, but they managed to do a full cleaning. The dentist let him pick a toy and check everything out. DS1 ended up really liking it! We will take DS2 next week for DS1's checkup to let him see how it goes.

FWIW, my boys started getting teeth in at 3 months and had 12-16 by their first birthday depending on the kid. Unless you see a problem, I wouldn't worry about it until they are around 3 as long as you are brushing daily.

brittone2
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
DS went at 15 months for what I suspected was an early cavity (and it was).

DD just went for her first visit around 2.5. No major concerns and we were taking DS for his regular exam. She did great as she could see big brother in the chair next to her and she was happy they let her wear some purple sparkly sunglasses so the overhead light wasn't so bright in her eyes ;) Our (pediatric) dentist just "counts teeth" until they are at least 3-4 yo (and charges $80) or agreeable to sitting in the chair to get a real cleaning. DS's first real cleaning was around 4-4.5 even though he had been going there for 3 years. They do follow him w/ periodic xrays for an extra adult tooth...they need to check to see if it is stable, etc. but they don't xray at every visit.

lilycat88
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
DD went at 18 months to a ped dentist. When I called at about a year, they asked how many teeth DD had. I forget the number but something like 6 teeth was their threshold and not an age. DD didn't have 6 teeth until she was 15-16 months.

hollybloom24
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
From the American Academy of Pediatrics website:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all infants receive oral health risk assessments by 6 months of age. Infants at higher risk of early dental caries should be referred to a dentist as early as 6 months of age and no later than 6 months after the first tooth erupts or 12 months of age (whichever comes first)."

The former recommendation was to be seen at age 3.

citymama
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Our pediatrician recommended no later than 3. I can't imagine DD sitting still at 12 months in the dentist's chair!

Reyadawnbringer
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
From the American Academy of Pediatrics website:

"The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all infants receive oral health risk assessments by 6 months of age. Infants at higher risk of early dental caries should be referred to a dentist as early as 6 months of age and no later than 6 months after the first tooth erupts or 12 months of age (whichever comes first)."

The former recommendation was to be seen at age 3.

Ok, yea. See, I knew I wasn't crazy. I have been stressing trying to find someone to see X and haven't been able to find anyone. I keep getting scoffed at for being "overboard" on dental care.

Someone said earlier that its hard to get kids to keep their mouths open so young while you try and brist their teeth. Well, X opens his mouth for me when he sees me with his little toothbrush. Of course we don't use toothpaste and it is just an infant brush, but he expects it every night after bath and before bed.

At least I found someone to see him at 1y/o so I will make an appointment with them.

ourbabygirl
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I had been wondering the same thing, as DD is almost 1 and has 8 teeth, so thanks for starting the thread!
I had read the same thing, that they should go to the dentist the first time around 1, but I didn't know if that was to keep the dentists busy and making money, or if it was really necessary. My friend who's in dental school said that it helps familiarize the kid with the dentist and not be afraid, so if they go every 6 months or year, starting early, they won't be so afraid as if they waited to go until age 3 or 4.
I think I'll call my dentist and ask the same question.

BTW, brittone, how did you know your DC had a cavity? Did they just act like their mouth or tooth hurt?

brittone2
09-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Y
BTW, brittone, how did you know your DC had a cavity? Did they just act like their mouth or tooth hurt?

He had brownish staining on the back of an upper central incisor. Thankfully it was an isolated thing for him and he's been cavity-free besides that one so far (knock on wood!) and is now 5.5. That's what got me interested in xylitol, etc. for tooth care.

lilycat88
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Our pediatrician recommended no later than 3. I can't imagine DD sitting still at 12 months in the dentist's chair!

They don't. The wee ones (like DD at 18 months) was in my lap. The dentist and I sat knee to knee and she was on her back with her head in the dentist's lap and the rest of her body on my lap. By 2.5 DD had been 3 times and had no issues with it at all. At 4, she moved out into the larger room with the other kids and DH sat in a chair next to her. She and DH consider the dentist trip every 6 months to be great fun and he always takes her now.

brittone2
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
They don't. The wee ones (like DD at 18 months) was in my lap. The dentist and I sat knee to knee and she was on her back with her head in the dentist's lap and the rest of her body on my lap. By 2.5 DD had been 3 times and had no issues with it at all. At 4, she moved out into the larger room with the other kids and DH sat in a chair next to her. She and DH consider the dentist trip every 6 months to be great fun and he always takes her now.

That's how our pedi dentist works it too. DS always sat in our lap and then was tipped back into the dentist's lap. When he had his filling they did it in the chair with us helping to hold him down (not fun). Unfortunately because his filling was in an awkward place (back of an upper central incisor), it fell out a few times and our dentist had to redo it 3x or more. We eventually talked him into doing the filling the same way he did the exam...DS in our lap, tipped back into dentist's lap and it went *much* better. Because of his difficult early experience, DS wasn't ready to sit in the chair until he was 4-4.5 but they were patient and waited for him to be ready, and for that I'm thankful. DS was generally cooperative w/ the tip back method, so they worked w/ him.

DD jumped right into the big chair at 2.5 because she could see big brother doing the same. Of course, she didn't have the rocky and scary start that DS had which made it easier. They were fine w/ her doing the tip back method but she was fine w/ being in the chair.

mommylamb
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
My ped said I could wait until age 3 (she looked in his mouth and checked them out). I'm putting him on my dental ins. in January, so sometime after that (He won't be 3 until June).

elliput
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
DD just saw a ped dentist for this first time this summer at age 4.5 yo. When we were talking, the dental assistant suggested I bring DS with me to DD's next visit (he will be 15 months). She said they encourage parents to bring in younger siblings as a way to get them comfortable with the setting and procedures. She further commented that sometimes the younger kids get their teeth looked at and sometimes not- it just depends on how at ease they are.

The procedure used for my DD was the knee to knee/tip back method described by some of the PP's. The assistant said this works really well for children such as my DD who have sensory issues.

o_mom
09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Our pediatric dentist wants to see them around 18-24 months or when they have 8 teeth. They like to be on the earlier end of that with the oldest child in the family so they can talk to you about brushing, treats, etc. They do an exam and very light cleaning. With as many people as I know who have had to have their toddlers put under for multiple fillings and caps, I err on the side of going in a bit earlier than age 4-5.

khalloc
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
My pediatrician said around age 3. Dentist said the same thing. No one wants to see a child before the age of 3. I took DD at 3.5 and she just watched me get my teeth cleaned and then she had hers counted. She will get her first cleaning right after her 4th birthday..

Ceepa
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
We start at 18 months and it has worked really well.

smilequeen
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Not all dentists, even pediatric, follow the newest reccommendations.

When you call, you will generally be given an age that the dentist feels comfortable seeing kids, not the actual BEST time to get them in.

I am not even a pediatric dentist, but I see kids at 1. We do a knee to knee exam, a cavity risk assessment (health history, family history, dietary habits, oral habits, hygeine habits), go over hygeine habits, diet, and dental visits. Reccommendations are different for different kids. Studies show that kids who start seeing the dentist early have fewer cavities.

I know everyone on boards like this seems to know about brushing and flossing and a healthy diet, but that isn't the norm. And kids at higher risk for whatever reason, especially genetics, really benefit from those visits.

I have always had a higher risk practice b/c I gave up my private practice job to do low income pediatrics. So seeing kids at 1 was much better than seeing them at 3 and having to remove half their teeth...

All kids benefit from early exposure and a gentle introduction to the dentist. The earlier they go the more comfortable they generally are. And it isn't always true that kids won't let us clean their teeth until they are older, many older 1 year olds and 2 year olds will allow it. My 2 year old LOVES it.

Jacksmommy2b
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I thought it was 3+ until we had to take J in at 18 months with a cavity and a tooth that had to be pulled. We were told then that he has weak enamel and needs obsessive dental care.

Since then we do brushing 3X a day and after any candy/sugary treats. He also gets flouride rinse after every brushing. (We used a Qtip to apply before he was capable of rinsing on his own.) He also gets flossed daily and is on a zylitol regimine too.

He goes to the pediatric dentist and has had cleanings every six months since. Luckily he has been cavity free since that first visit. He still is far from crazy about going to the dentist but DH takes him and he sits in Dh's lap and is tipped back for the hygenist and they always manage to get him clean.

IMO better safe than sorry, it kills me think that if I had taken him in at 12m we would have known that he is prone to dental problems and could have started a strict routine before he had to go through everything.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
I took ds1 at 15m. Ds2 is going before he turns 2. We have insurance and I would feel better if he gets an exam sooner rather than later. I don't want to miss any possible problems.

Beth

MommyAllison
09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
We started around 15 months with both kids. Our ped dentist likes to see them around their first birthday.

Reyadawnbringer
10-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Ok, well I just got off the phone with the dentists office and FINALLY made an appt for DS. I actually had to FIGHT to get the appointment.

Its on DS's first birthday (mainly because I am already taking this day off because he has his 1 year check up and immunizations that day). They repeatedly told me on the phone that they don't want to see him until a few months after his first birthday. Seriously, I may be a bit overcautious at this point but WHY would you argue with me about setting an appointment so I can give you my money to look at my kids teeth?? It seems so stupid to me.

Anyway, w/e. I guess I will now be labeled as "that" parent at this dental office. Luckily, I won't see them as often as I do the pedi.

Percycat
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Actually, you will probably see your ped. dentist more often than your pediatrician if your children are healthy. We see our ped. dentist twice a year for healthy teeth checkups and our pediatrician once a year for wellness visits.....

I hope you like your new dentist.
angela

JenaW
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I haven't had a chance to read all the replies....was up WAY too late last night watching the Steelers game, and morning comes very early (DH is up at 4:30) around here....but I wanted to quickly add my two cents.

Our pedi dentist recommends a visit starting at 1. I am not sure if there is much difference between an 11 mos and a 12 mos old, but perhaps that is their policy. I guess you have to have some starting point..... At that visit, they mainly count teeth, make sure we are brushing them, look for any potential problems, etc. I don't think they even attempted a cleaning.

Another point of view FOR going in early - my cousins waited until around 3yo with their kids. Both breastfed and NEVER gave their kids a bottle at night (which is supposedly notorious for causing cavities). However, both of them had kids with MULTIPLE cavities when they went for their first visit at 3. One had to have 2 root canals at that age, and another has had multiple root canals (I think close to 8) by now at 8yo!!! I was floored when I heard this, as they do not let their kids drink juice, rarely eat candy or other typical cavity-causing foods, and brushed their kids teeth AT LEAST once every night, if not twice a day. When it happened in both families with a second kid, the dentist postulated that letting the kids nurse all night long (both co-slept and let their babies have ad lib access to the breast) was just as bad for the kids teeth as putting them to sleep with a bottle. Apparently, their kids were prone to nursing often and were keeping some of the milk in their mouth (i.e. maybe not swallowing that last sip before they fell back asleep) where it would bathe their teeth all night. Neither of my cousins have ANY cavities themselves (we all had fluoride treatments as children, and had sealants on all our molars, and drank primarily milk as opposed to juice in our younger years...not sure if that was what made the difference or not) but both of their husbands have had numerous cavities and teeth problems.

IMHO, if your pedi dentist (I can't imagine trying to take a one year old to a non pediatric dentist - even a family dentist probably wouldn't be AS good at that age if they do not routinely see children that young) will see your child at their first birthday, take them in then and explain your concerns. At the least, they can look at your child's teeth and reassure you that they look normal and you can decide then whether you need to continue every 6 mos check-ups or wait until they are a bit older.

J

Reyadawnbringer
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Yea, thats what I was doing. DS WILL be 1 year old on the day of his appointment, but they just gave me such a hard time about it. Like the wanted to see him AFTER he turned 1. Previously they had told me they would see him at 1. I just sick of them trying to shoo me away.