PDA

View Full Version : What age do you begin PT generally?

poppy
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
When do you generally potty train? I'd like to start at 17 months b/c I have a another one due a couple months after. Is that too early or can it be even earlier? I know it depends on the child, but just your general experience.

TIA!

JBaxter
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
18 months we started potty orientation. Sitting on the potty before bath when your in the bathroom etc Depending on the child -- mine generally when they start grabbing their diaper when they pee saying pee pee when they go i start then. DS1 was 26 months DS2 28 months and DS3 was 30 months. I do the potty bootcamp of one week naked.

poppy
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you. I've read previous thread and it sounds like you've been really successful. I don't know about the one week naked. It might kill me with a newborn in tow. He's 14 months and I've pointed to the toliet to acquaint him so far. I'm waiting for him to show some interest.

citymama
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree with the PP - let the child determine his/her readiness. We got our Baby Bjorn potty when DD was around 18 months, and she sat on it a few times, but that's it. At around 23-24 months, she started to show a lot of interest, and that's when we started in earnest. One of our local PTing gurus says the ideal window of opportunity for most kids is 22-26 months, and that was true for us, but I know there's lots of variation.

JBaxter
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree with the PP - let the child determine his/her readiness. We got our Baby Bjorn potty when DD was around 18 months, and she sat on it a few times, but that's it. At around 23-24 months, she started to show a lot of interest, and that's when we started in earnest. One of our local PTing gurus says the ideal window of opportunity for most kids is 22-26 months, and that was true for us, but I know there's lots of variation.

I really agree with the window. If you dont catch it when they first start to realize they are eliminating they get used to doing it.

I had 3 ( sometimes 4 ) potties in the house. Kitchen , bathroom. living room and bedroom. For naked week I stuck to them like glue and when they would start to pee I would scoop them up and run to the nearest potty. Even if we only got 2 drops in it started to click with them. I read MANY a book with a little guy ( in my case) sitting on the potty. With DS3 Peter Potty was my savior LOL

o_mom
09-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Yes, there is variation. DS1 we started about 2.5 and he clearly was not ready - a week or more of naked time and it just wasn't happening. Put it away for a few months and started back at it. At that point he was getting it while naked, but couldn't really put it all together until about a month before his 3rd birthday. With DS2 we just waited until a month before his 3rd birthday and he was trained in a day with no effort on our part. DS3 is 28 months and no sign of being ready.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Different schools of thought. I waited til ds1 as just totally ready and he was more than 3.5yo. He did it in a day and was so easy it makes me a little less inclined to do it when they are older and more work. I don't want to have to keep reminding him to go and all that stuff. eta- I plan to try with ds2 at 2.5y and see how that goes though.

Beth

mommyp
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
We got a potty a month or two ago so she would see it and want to sit on it. She is interested in me going to the bathroom (fun!) and sometimes tells me when she is poopy and needs a change. But other times she doesn't want to stop playing and so doesn't tell me. She does like to sit on it at bathtime most nights. I'm not pushing it right now, we'll wait and see what happens. (DD is almost 21 months).