PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have only one immediate family member get H1N1?

alexsmommy
09-29-2009, 04:58 PM
DSD just texted me to say she feels "horrible - all achey from head to toe" and has a stomach ache. I am scared she has H1N1 - I am pregnant and DS1 has pretty bad asthma. She's old enough to get it that this could be disaterous for the rest of us and said she'll use Clorox wipes on whatever she touches and wash her hands religiously and she's just going to bed when she gets home so she won't be around us.
Now, the rest of us are in varying stages of head colds and DS1 has had a stomach ache for six days with his. I just took him to ped this morning to make sure he was ok. I'm praying that this is all it is, the first day of a bad cold and she never gets a fever. I'm assuming she does not have one or I'm sure she would have gone to the school nurse and come home - she's a bit of a hypochondriac. I know she must really not feel well because Homecoming is coming up and she wouldn't want to miss it so if this was a "schoolitis" attack (which she is prone to) it'd probably come next week.
To make matters worse, I am scheduled to leave town Friday - disaster if I get to my destination and get sick, disaster if the boys get sick while I'm gone. Ugh.
So has anyone managed to contain H1N1? If DH were in town I would seriously consider sending him to a hotel with her.
Ugh - so close to the vax.

MommyAllison
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I think DD had it a few weeks ago, and the rest of us did not get it, despite very close contact. I think DS *might* have had it earlier this summer, but I was surprised that none of the rest of us got sick with whatever she had. Good luck!

hollybloom24
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, one of my four year old twins, three weeks ago. My husband was put on prophylactic Tamiflu since he works in a children's hospital. The rest of us escaped without any extreme measures, aside from extra handwashing and Purelling.

alexsmommy
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks - this makes me feel like all of our obsessive handwashing and Chlorox wiping may not be in vain.
She was true to her word. By the time I got home from work she was already asleep in bed. I am truly hoping it's just the same headcold we all have. Still I went around an Chlorox wiped the doornobs, phone, family computer keyboard (I have my own), faucets and anything else she was likely to touch on her way to bed.

jk3
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I hope the rest of your family stays well. I'm so sorry, Alaina. :(

kransden
09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I'll find out in the next couple of days.

Laurel
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I am fairly certain I had it a few weeks ago, and no one else in my household got sick. DH felt a bit tired and run down, but never got a fever, etc., like I did.

Hope you all stay healthy!

bubbaray
09-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Myself, DD#1 and DD#2 had influenza like illness (according to WHO protocol) in the summer. DH had nothing. No idea why.

connor_mommy
09-30-2009, 12:26 AM
My friend was 38 weeks pregenant when her son came down with H1N1. Her whole family was prescribed Tamiflu. She's a nurse and did a lot of research and ended up not taking it. But her OB told her at the first sign of not feeling well, she was to take it. Luckily she and and rest of her family didn't need to take it. She, her DH and other DS didn't get sick. And they just delivered a healthy baby and mom is doing great. I would call your pedi to see if your DSD can get tested. And then call your OB to see what his/her thought on this would be.

alexsmommy
09-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I would call your pedi to see if your DSD can get tested. And then call your OB to see what his/her thought on this would be.

Nope, spoke to ped about this yesterday and they are only testing if you are "high risk" or hospitalized. So DS1 would be tested because of his asthma hx but ped warned me she couldn't test DSD and she wants us out of her waiting room as much as possible in an effort to keep me and the kids healthy so advised me unless DSD came down with symptoms that might warrant hospitalization that there wasn't much she could do. I love this office. I needed to take DS1 in yesterday (r/o walking pneumonia from a cold) and they told me to come in before the office technically opened just in case they had early morning H1N1 cases in their waiting room.

Thanks all - it's really helping. I am freaked out a bit about all of this - which is not like me at all. I'm usually the most laid back person about illness - almost too much so.
I do feel better, DSD is showering as I type (just heard the door close) so that means she's going to school so no fever - yeeeehawwww! I'm guessing she just has the nasty head cold we've all had which really did knock us all out in the early hours of coming down with it. We're still going to handwash and wipe everything down for a while though

Momof3Labs
09-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Thinking of you and hoping that this passes quickly, Alaina!!