PDA

View Full Version : Fever- medicate or no?

Snow mom
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
DD has her first fever :( Of course I got home and took her temperature at 4:57 and the doctors office closes a 5. I managed to make an appointment for the morning but it was too late to talk to the normal nurses so I'm waiting for a call back from the other nurses. I figured someone here knows the answer to this though. DD is almost 10 months and has a fever a bit north of 101. Should I give her tylenol to try to bring down her fever? Anything else I should do? I'm afraid she might have flu. Her breathing is a bit labored, but not scary labored. Poor thing....

codex57
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I would. Absolutely. Anything to keep the fever down until the nurses get back to you.

tnrnchick74
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
if it were low grade (100 or less) then I would ride it out unless the child acts REALLY sick (lethargic, intolerably whiny, pain, etc). If over 101 I would treat with alternating tylenol and motrin

MommyAllison
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
We treat a fever when it gets to 103, unless there are other symptoms (like pain) that need it. Generally we try to ride out a fever, since it's purpose is to fight off infection. I hope the nurse calls you back soon!

ETA: My kids are both over 1 year, and rarely/never had fevers under 1 year, so take my opinion FWIW.

infocrazy
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
We treat a fever when it gets to 103, unless there are other symptoms (like pain) that need it. Generally we try to ride out a fever, since it's purpose is to fight off infection. I hope the nurse calls you back soon!

ETA: My kids are both over 1 year, and rarely/never had fevers under 1 year, so take my opinion FWIW.

:yeahthat:

The breathing would actually bother me more than the fever but DS2 gets cold induced respiratory problems so I'm a little sensitive there.

brittone2
09-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Speaking for my own family, we tend to ride it out in the absence of other concerning symptoms. If my kids are feeling reasonably well but w/ a fever, we don't treat it. If they were very lethargic with a lower grade fever, I'd be more inclined to worry and call the doc.

Our very first pediatrician (lived in a different state at the time) actually provided parent handouts on riding out a fever in the absence of other concerns. She was *very* mainstream fwiw...I'm not talking about some uber crunchy doc ;) Her paperwork always mentioned that provided there aren't other concerns, and you aren't dealing w/ heat related illness, most fevers are self-limiting. This was *our* doctor's advice, so obviously you would need to talk with your own doc.

DS from age 1-2 had a few fevers and his were always high (103-104). However, they'd only last a day and then he'd be fine (and usually pretty much symptom free after that). This was just my own experience, obviously.

If her breathing is labored, I'd call though. That is different than fever plus more mild symptoms IMO.

eta: agree that it is different in a young infant or with other serious health concerns.

ohiomom1121
09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
DS had a febrile seizure when his temp was only 101 so YES I always medicate. Way too scary. He was 15 minutes away from another dose of Tylenol when it happened. It definitely does not have to be a high fever to cause problems. With him I automatically alternate Tylenol and Motrin when he gets a fever to try and prevent another seizure (doc's advice).

BTW I've dealt with LOTS of fevers with DD. She's gotten up to 105 many times even with medication. I'm sure all kids are different on this one though.

brittone2
09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
DS had a febrile seizure when his temp was only 101 so YES I always medicate. Way too scary. He was 15 minutes away from another dose of Tylenol when it happened. It definitely does not have to be a high fever to cause problems. With him I automatically alternate Tylenol and Motrin when he gets a fever to try and prevent another seizure (doc's advice).

BTW I've dealt with LOTS of fevers with DD. She's gotten up to 105 many times even with medication. I'm sure all kids are different on this one though.

I've never BTDT with a febrile seizure, but our previous doc's paperwork always said they were generally not harmful (other than risk of accidental injury while having the seizure). Not that I'd want to experience one, and if we had a history of febrile seizures, I'm sure we'd medicate.

Again, a YMMV situation...different docs have different opinions on this IME.

eta: I should also add that it is important for them to stay hydrated. My feverish kids always want to nurse and nurse and nurse, and so they have always stayed hydrated.

citymama
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
If she is really uncomfortable and has a 101 fever, I personally would treat it. We used just infant tylenol at that age - use the prescribed dosage for 6-12 months. Usually under 100 F, we ride it out, but they can have body aches, headaches, etc that they can't communicate and you don't want them to be miserable. Hope she gets well soon!

ETA does your doctor have an after-hours number you can call?

JBaxter
09-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I do 102 with dye free motrin. I found it works much better on my 4 than tylonel. I will medicate before naps and bed. 101 I make them comfortable the fever is there for a purpose to help fight off the "bug" they have.

Logan is my fever kid I have seen his as high as 105 < yup we were in the ER> He will routinely spike a 102 with anything.

gatorsmom
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't usually give them Tylenol or Motrin unless they are uncomfortable, can't sleep, or won't eat/drink. If they are acting fine and are eating and drinking fine, I just watch it.

slworld
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
DS had the viral fever about 2 months ago (~12months old) and the fever went upto 103. But the doc said if there were no other concerning symptoms and DS is ok (not in too much pain etc), we don't NEED to give him tylenol. He said there is no need to try to get the fever down. Until then I used to give him tylenol every 4-6hrs when he had a fever but then after the doc mentioned that I have been trying to avoid tylenol if possible. But if DS is too uncomfortable then I would give him. Our peds office doesn't usually see you for fevers unless 104 or more (given there are no other troubling symptoms).

alexsmommy
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I tend to try to ride it out figuring it's there for a reason. I give Motrin at bedtime/naptime. DS1 tended to have rapid breathing with his fevers when he was little but the ped said it was pretty common and wasn't worried. Once we start hitting the 102/103 range I do start alternating Motrin/Tyelenol.
I think the hard thing is every kid responds slightly differently to fevers, so you have to be prepared for a learning curve. Some children are prone to febrile seizures, others not so much.
The few times DS1 has spiked a really high fever we gave him Motrin and did a lukewarm bath (popsicles are good too) until it came down to about 101.
Good luck. First illnesses are scary.

Snow mom
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences. I talked to the after hours nurse. She wasn't too worried about the breathing. She said respiration rate and pulse are often elevated with fever. I did end up giving DD a dose of Tylenol. I know that fevers are a natural part of your bodies response to illness, but not knowing what to expect from this illness I just feel better bringing the fever down a bit. She was down to about 99.5 an hour after the Tylenol. Hopefully a good nights sleep will have her feeling better in the morning. I predict I'll be up checking on her a lot tonight.

kijip
09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Under a year old and I am strongly inclined to give either Motrin or Tylenol once it passes 101, doubly so if they are uncomfortable or unhappy. Over a year, I ride it out a little bit more. F just had his first ever fever and my doctor wanted us to give Motrin or Tylenol.

My normal temp runs a little low, as does both of the boys so I tend to think that 101/102 is actually around 1 degree bigger of a spike than it is.

doberbrat
09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
add me to the dont medicate till 103 group unless dd is uncomfy but I know first fevers are scary.