PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Candy!

ourbabygirl
09-29-2009, 06:41 PM
What do you all give out to trick-or-treaters? Candy? What type? Something else? Where do you buy your stuff, and how much do you spend? I have no idea what a good price is for candy, or where the best places to buy it are (or if anyone predictably has actual good deals every October at a certain time).
Since Halloween is on a Saturday this year, I'm wondering if that'll affect the numbers of those going door-to-door :wink2:?

Thanks!

hobie
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm no help...we live on a very quiet rural road, so when we went to our neighbors last year, they said that we were the first trick-or-treaters in 15 years! The poor dad had to rummage through his cupboard to find a treat, lol.

Target has big bags of it, but they're not on sale yet. Costco has big bags too, but I wasn't pricing it, as that was waaaaay too much candy for us.

Swimfreak78
09-29-2009, 07:26 PM
We typically get a big bag of candy at Target or go to BJ's.

momof2girls
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I give out the little play doh canisters from Costco. I don't need the candy temptation in my house,

BabyMine
09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
We give out candy that we buy from BJs.

bonbon98
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
We give out bags of chips to the little kids and the neighborhood kids that I know - Costco/Sam's has a box of 50 for $12. The teenagers get the "reject" candy from my kids' bags...

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
I keep one basket that has play-doh and stickers and another that has candy.

Beth

Dyonia
09-30-2009, 02:45 AM
We give out glow bracelets. Got the idea from a poster here in 2007 (thanks, Java!), and this will be our third year handing them out. The bracelets have been such a hit every time that we've chosen keep on doing them for the trick-or-treaters.

We do 2 bracelets per kid. This year I picked up the glow bracelets at the Target dollar spot (12 bracelets in a tube). FYI, if you're thinking of doing glow bracelets, buy a single package and test them out to see if they glow well. I made the mistake of not doing that last year with the ones I bought at Michaels, and they glowed, but were not nearly as good as the ones I had bought from Dollar Tree the year before. (My Dollar Tree doesn't have the tubes of bracelets this year.) This year, I tested several different kinds before I bought. The ones I just bought at Target (orange & black halloween tube) glow really brightly!

As a bonus, I've found that I spend less with the glow bracelets than we did when buying candy. After I figure in tax, the bracelets cost me 9 cents apiece.

--Donna

AshleyAnn
09-30-2009, 03:36 AM
We give out glow bracelets. Got the idea from a poster here in 2007 (thanks, Java!), and this will be our third year handing them out. The bracelets have been such a hit every time that we've chosen keep on doing them for the trick-or-treaters.

We do 2 bracelets per kid. This year I picked up the glow bracelets at the Target dollar spot (12 bracelets in a tube). FYI, if you're thinking of doing glow bracelets, buy a single package and test them out to see if they glow well. I made the mistake of not doing that last year with the ones I bought at Michaels, and they glowed, but were not nearly as good as the ones I had bought from Dollar Tree the year before. (My Dollar Tree doesn't have the tubes of bracelets this year.) This year, I tested several different kinds before I bought. The ones I just bought at Target (orange & black halloween tube) glow really brightly!

As a bonus, I've found that I spend less with the glow bracelets than we did when buying candy. After I figure in tax, the bracelets cost me 9 cents apiece.

--Donna

Awesome Idea!

We're new to the trick or treat game. Our apartment complex doesn't have individual door lights so no one came through in the past 3 years but this year they are offering special signs to hang on the doors of those who want to give out candy. I'm thinking I'm going to hand out candy to celebrate my last year without a trick or treater of my own :yay: If I do candy it will be snickers bars because I love them more than anything else in the world (but glow bracelets are super fun so maybe I'll do a bracelet and a snickers until I eat all the snickers and need a backup treat)

Mikey0709
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I think i've been the hit of the neighborhood because i have been buying FULL-size candy bars. Sounds expensive - but Costco has a 30 pack for around 9.99... and RIGHT NOW a $5.00 off coupon! That's $.15 bar! Cheaper for me than buying a bag of mini's which goes REALLY fast. This way i give out 1 bar per kid....instead of the past where i had the mini's and they grab a handful before i know it. I usually have about 50 kids and with 2 boxes - i only spend around $10!

JTsMom
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow! That Costco deal is awesome!

I usually do a variety of things- some chocolate candy, some non-chocolate and some non-candy stuff- glow sticks, Play-doh, etc.

My mom gives out drinks along with her candy. She buys those Little Hugs things, bottled water and juice boxes. She is the hit of the neighborhood. :)

Jen841
10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Growing up we were the ones that gave out PACKS of gum. We were the prized house.

We don't give out candy at home (we attend an annual party for Trick or Treating) but at school I will give out pencils, erasers, tatoos and McDonald's coupons (10 for $1 with a donation.)