PDA

View Full Version : So where does a pregnant woman get the swine flu shot?

citymama
09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
The Valerie Post death story has totally freaked me out. I'm determined to get the swine flu shot (unless something dramatic emerges about its safety). But who delivers this shot to pregnant women - your OB? Internist? My OB practice doesn't vaccinate, and I don't have a very good internist - they'll probably be last to receive the vaccine. (DD's ped. won't have it till November!) Where are you supposed to get the shot from?

ErinMC
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Can you call your OB's office to ask them? Even if they don't vaccinate there, they probably have information for their patients on where to go.

sste
09-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't *think* they are available yet. At least not at DH's hospital which is in a major city. I have been asking day to day as I know DH is going to infect us all.

When it comes out we were told that the order of distribution will be pregnant women first, then babies under 1, then health care workers, then children under 4.

ETA: I would be shocked if your OB did not offer the vaccine - - I mean, why would the OB spend all that time on preventative prenatal care and then not offer the swine flu vaccine! If they don't call your internist and/or the hospital you are delivering at. I would call everyone as my impression is demand will be high.

alexsmommy
09-29-2009, 09:58 PM
For me its my PCP.
My old one had retired (had been seeing her since I was 16 sniff, sniff) and my midwife/OB office had been managing my health issues so I had just gotten the flu shot from a drugstore the last few years. This forced me to research and get a new PCP. I really like her so it was good - I went in already to discuss my concerns, get her opinion etc. She told me to call the office the minute I hear the shot is out and there should be a recording saying how/when they would vax their patients and if that didn't answer my questions to ask to speak to a nurse. They are anticipating being slammed with calls/requests.

becca_g
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
My OB doesn't give vaccines.

For the regular flu shot, my internist's office ran out and my local hospital had not received any yet, so I got mine at Walgreens (insurance paid for part). CVS also administers regular flu shots.

For the H1N1 flu shot, none of the above (my internist, hospital, Walgreens) are sure when/if they will be getting H1N1 vaccines. I'm going to try Walgreens 1st.

Per the CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm) regarding the H1N1 vaccine: "Where will the vaccine be available? Every state is developing a vaccine delivery plan. Vaccine will be available in a combination of settings such as vaccination clinics organized by local health departments, healthcare provider offices, schools, and other private settings, such as pharmacies and workplaces ..."

Jacksmommy2b
09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Last I heard they aren't anticipating the vax being available until mid October at the earliest.

J and I are getting the vax from our family practitioner. I would suggest calling your OB and your regular Dr and expressing your intrest in getting the vax asap. I'm not sure how they go about ordering the vax, but I know I had to call and request the mercury free regular flu vax in advance so they knew to order them for me!

jerigirl
09-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Your county health dept should be administering them.

belovedgandp
09-30-2009, 12:32 AM
My OB would not have a routine annual flu shot available. She would recommend it and send me to my primary care or another clinic.

She did say, this year, the OB practice will be getting the H1N1 vaccine in the office for their pregnant patients. I'm 16 weeks and from my very first appointment, it's been repeated to get both flu shots this season.

wendibird22
09-30-2009, 08:18 AM
I think I'll be able to get mine at my OBs office. They usually don't vax but they did have the seasonal flu vax starting back in Sept and I got mine then. My OB said they'd be getting the H1N1. We shall see.

I did hear on GMA this morning that they anticipate that the first doses of the mist version will hit docs offices/clinics at the beginning of next week and the first doses of the injection as early as the end of next week.

egoldber
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
H1N1 vax is expected to be available mid October. It will first be available in the mist and will be available in regular forms a few weeks after that.

Sillygirl
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Your OB may not have staff members that are trained to give vaccines, or proper storage for the vaccines. And doctors lose money on administering most vaccines. Although in a perfect world this particular vaccine would be available through OBs, in order to identify the priority patients, the current reality of our healthcare system makes this unlikely.

citymama
09-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Just called my OB's office. They have neither the seasonal vaccine nor any idea if/when they might get H1N1. I called my PCP's office; ditto. So what's a pregnant, asthmatic woman to do? Grr.

Here's what I learned from the SF CDC website (http://www.sfcdcp.org/FluVaccinesSites.html):

"Within 48-72 hours of vaccine arrival the San Francisco Department of Public Health will conduct 2 public mass vaccination clinics per day for six consecutive days targeting clients at high-risk for disease or transmission, (pregnant women, children and young adults age 6 months to 24 years of age, household contacts and caregivers of children younger than 6 months of age and health care workers with direct patient contact). We plan to vaccinate approximately 5,000 high-risk clients per clinic; all vaccines administered at these sites will be entered into the California Immunization Registry (CAIR)."

ETA: Called them; the vaccine won't be here till early Nov., and all they could say was, check back later.

JBaxter
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Make sure you get the Thimersol free vaccine!

maestramommy
09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Make sure you get the Thimersol free vaccine!

I thought this was only available for kids under 3? Wouldn't the dose be too small?

lizzywednesday
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
My OB's office has offered signups for all pregnant patients to get the H1N1 shot in-office, but they don't know when they will get the vaccine shipment.

I'm OK with that because they also don't know how long you should wait between your seasonal flu vax and the H1N1 vax. I'll get my seasonal next week (offered free-of-charge at the office - great perk, IMO) so I'm cautious about getting another flu vax too close to the seasonal (do not want to get sick or risk any kind of complications/interactions between the two.)

Now, all I have to do is get DH to get a flu shot and we are all good...

kayte
09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought this was only available for kids under 3? Wouldn't the dose be too small?

There are several mercury free vaccnines... not just for kiddos...

List of the four companies approved by the FDA .

1. Sanofi Pasteur

All injection - CONTAINS EGG
Approved for ALL age groups (infants 6 months of age through adulthood and the elderly). It comes in several forms:
Prefilled single ½ dose syringe with NO mercury – for infants 6 thru 35 months of age.
Prefilled single full dose syringe with NO mercury – for anyone 3 years and older.
Single-dose (full-dose) vial with NO mercury – for anyone 3 years and older.
Multidose bottle (contains ten full doses or twenty ½ doses) WITH 25 mcg of mercury per full dose – for anyone 6 months and older (infants 6 to 35 months would get a half dose (0.25 ml), 3 years and older would get the full 0.5 ml dose).
Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, egg proteins, gelatin, formaldehyde, polyethylene glycol p-isooctyphenyl ether, sucrose.

2. CSL

All injected - CONTAINS EGG

Approved for anyone 18 years and older. It comes in two forms:

Prefilled single-dose syringe with NO mercury.
Multidose bottle with ten doses WITH 24.5 mcg of mercury per dose.
Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate, calcium, taurodeoxycholate, egg protein, 2 antibiotics, and beta-propiolactone.

3. Novartis

All injected - CONTAINS EGG

Approved for anyone 4 years and older. It comes in two forms:

Prefilled single-dose syringes with a trace amount of mercury (less than 1 mcg because 99% of it is filtered out).
Multidose bottle with ten doses WITH 25 mcg of mercury per dose.
Other ingredients include: the viral proteins, sodium chloride, phosphate, egg proteins, two antibiotics, betapropiolactone, nonylphenol ethoxylate.

4 MedImmune -CONTAINS EGG

Live virus nasal spray vaccine: Approved for anyone without pregnancy or immune suppression 2 years through 49 years of age. There is no mercury.

Other ingredients include: the live viruses, egg protein, MSG, pig gelatin, arginine, sucrose, potassium phosphate, an antibiotic,

(FIL is an immunologist). I believe there is a link in another thread with a similar list on the Dr. Sears website. --Here is the link--it's the same list. But atleast you'll feel better having it confirmed on his website instead of a cut ad paste from an email...

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/archives/2009_09_01_archive.asp

Editted to remove personal info from email that I didn't realize I cut and pasted in...

Editted again to add Dr. Sear's link.