PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Made half a decision...So torn over vaxing DD for H1N1

ha98ed14
09-29-2009, 10:08 PM
I read some of the links and talked to my ped and have come to the following decision: DD will get the H1N1 flu shot. I put my ped on the spot and asked him, "If you had to choose one, which one would you get?" He thought about it and said, for a child, he would get H1N1 over the seasonal flu because there is no way the child has any resistance to H1N1 since it is so new. There is a possibility of children (not infants) having some natural resistance to seasonal flu because of past years exposure.

I still have not decided if DD will get the seasonal. IM non-medical O, the seasonal flu is more of a crap shoot because they never really know if the vax is a good for that season's flu until flu season is underway. With H1N1, the virus showed up last summer, so they know what it looks like. The whole thing makes me nervous.

As an aside, my ped told me that the medical community (CDC?) is re-thinking the "kids need two H1N1 shots." They may be fine with one. Apparently in was in the NEJofM.
====================================
I did selective vaxing. DD had one flu shot 2 years ago, but I never went back for the second. For this year, to be fully "covered" according to CDC guidelines, DD need 2 seasonal flu shots and 2 H1N1 flu shots. I can get seasonal flu now as it is available at my ped, but I am so torn. The difference between now and then was that DD goes to daycare now (on a college campus!; commuter school) and back then I was home with her full time. Oh what to do?!?! My fear is that the effects of the vax will be worse than the virus and it may not offer her much protection anyway; but my greater fear is that if my DD gets it, she'll die. WWYD? DD is 2 and has no underlying medical conditions. In general, she is not a sick kid. She's been in daycare since June and has only brought home one cold.

sste
09-29-2009, 10:11 PM
You may not need to decide. It seems like there is going to be an undersupply and to the extent it can be distributed rationally, we were told it was pregnant women then kids under 1 then health care workers then kids under 4. It is anyone's guess if the supply will hold through kids under 4. If you are even thinking about it, I would put yourself on a call list at your pedi's office for when the vax comes in.

HIU8
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
:yeahthat: and I wish my ped would do a call list but they refuse. They are actually mean when you call up to ask about it. I have 2 children that get sick ALL THE TIME and I want to make sure they are going to be able to get the vax.

ang79
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
I was just coming here to ask about this. My girls have an appt. to get the seasonal flu shot on Friday, as my 3 yr. old has always gotten one and I got one last year when pregnant w/ my 10 mos. old. But I've been researching both the seasonal shot and the H1N1 shot and now I'm not so sure about either, but especially the H1N1. I've read that it has a high amount of mercury, which has been linked to autism in vaccines in the past. I'm also unsure because they know nothing about the extent of side effects it could have.

I am a SAHM with my two girls but we do frequent playdates both in public places (Chuck E Cheese, Bounce Houses, etc.) and homes, as well as church and the girls are always with me when I'm out shopping and running errands. So although they are not in daycare or preschool, they still are out and about where germs and sick people could be. My toddler rarely gets sick, though she did get a nasty virus last year and the baby was sick on and off all winter.

Anyone else deciding not to do either flue shots and if so, what is your reasoning?

ellies mom
09-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I spent my clinical days last week in nurse treatment so I got to ask about the vax. From what I was told, H1N1 is considered to be "the seasonal flu" this season for people about 55ish and younger. The elderly are actually showing some immunity due to the similarity with the 1917 virus which spent a few decades mutating. The look on the 70+ woman's face when she was told that she wasn't a priority for the vacination was pretty priceless.

If I was only going to chose one for my children, it would be the H1N1. But part of that is because I can't afford to miss school staying home with them and if I have "the symptoms", I'm automatically out of school for a minimum of 7 days. That could sink the whole quarter.

gatorsmom
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Anyone else deciding not to do either flue shots and if so, what is your reasoning?

I had an appointment this weekend to do seasonal flu shots for all 4 kids. I canceled the appointment. The nurse didn't urge me to reconsider. After all, the seasonal flu peaks here in January and February so I have a little more time to think about it. But after reading how painful H1N1 is, I think I"ll get that shot for our kids when it arrives which according to the ped should be middle of October. The twins are so little and I'm worried about our boys bringing it home to them. I just think they would really, really suffer from it. There have been a LOT of cases of it around here lately and it would be so easy for them to catch it. It scares me more than the vax itself. jmho

infomama
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
All of us except DH get the seasonal flu shot/mist and will again this year. The more I read about H1N1..the more I am now leaning towards getting the vaccine. It's outright confusing and I am concerned about the vaccine but I am also pretty darn concerned about the illness. Have to talk with my doc still about it.

Naranjadia
09-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Like the OP, my kids are in daycare at a campus school and I'm teaching the population that is supposedly least immune - college kids - so we will be getting the H1N1. We usually get the seasonal flu shot, and I think we will again this year. But I feel pretty comfortable with the research regarding mercury and vaccines.

I'm worried about my sister who is due in Nov. 5 of the students in her seminar have gotten H1N1. She doesn't have any underlying conditions, like gestational diabetes and hopefully it will stay that way. I keep telling her to switch her class to an online-only mode!

BabyMine
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I am doing both shots. Our DC recieved the flu shots last week. DS1 will have the second flu shot about the time the H1N1 should be available. Our Ped gives any child under 36 months the thimerosol free vaccines. I believe someone posted a link to Dr. Sears website about giving both shots to children. He said that children who need the four shots should space them out in 3 months.

Ok found the link

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/2009/09/four-swine-flu-vaccines-approved-by-fda.asp

from
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=335633&highlight=Sears+H1N1

ett
09-29-2009, 11:24 PM
My decisions keep changing but currently I'm thinking of skipping the seasonal flu shot and getting the H1N1 if it becomes available. Though with the shortage, I'm not sure if anyone in our family will be able to get it since DS2 is the only one that falls into one of the category listed above, but he has an egg allergy so probably no shot for him anyway. If there is even any supply left, I wonder if they will give it to DS1 given that DS2 also has asthma.

TaChapm
09-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Jackson was diagnosed with H1N1 yesterday and he has been absolutely miserable. Terrible pains (especially in his legs), unbelievable cough, and fever up around 103 which will go down but won't break. I was on the fence about getting the H1N1 vaccine for the boys because they have a severe egg allergy so it is such an ordeal to get them the flu shots at the allergist. Tyler has Reactive Airway Disease so if he gets H1N1 I am certain it will be really bad. After seeing what Jackson has gone through we will without a doubt get it for Tyler and Jaci (if they don't catch it from Jackson). Tyler is on Tamiflu to hopefully prevent it but there is a shortage of it so Jaci is without the Tamiflu. Hopefully it will keep him well and we will be able to get him the vaccine and all will be fine.

Reyadawnbringer
09-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Yea, see I was gonna post a question about this as well. I have been agonizing over this decision for weeks now. I asked our pedi and she seemed to have no opinion whether we get it or not (she is a new pedi for us since we recently moved into this area). because of that I asked the only doctor whose opinion I trust above all others (DS's pediatric surgeon) and even he said that he was on the fence about it. He said he didn't think there was enough data to support the vaccine and that he had no plans to get it for his daughter.

He didn't specifically tell me not to get it, or that he recommends against it- but he did say he wouldn't have his own family get it. To me that sounds like he is concerned about something with it.

So, needless to say I am still agonizing over this decision.

bubbaray
09-29-2009, 11:54 PM
This issue is going to drive me mental. Seriously. I might lose my mind soon. As soon as I make a decision, there are more media reports, more "legitimate" information from physicians I work with, etc.

As of yesterday, there is no seasonal influenza vax campaign here for those under 65. Our BC CDC (provincial equivalent of the US CDC) and the BC College of Physicians issued a joint news release yesterday, along with the gov't, saying that here, there will be no seasonal vax program for those of us under 65. They have also asked workplace programs to stop too.

http://www.hls.gov.bc.ca/pho/pdf/vaccine_plan.pdf

I'm not particularly interested in the Canadian adjuvant H1N1 vax, DD#2 can't have it anyway (fish component and she has fish anaphylaxis). Both girls are up to date on their Prevnar (see above link -- pneumonia vax is recommended as part of the preparations for H1N1). DD#1 and I are on preventative asthma drugs all winter due to H1N1 too. I am considering asking for the Prevnar vax for me. I am also considering getting us all Rxs for Tamiflu as they are recommending that for high risk patients (DD#1 and I are high risk as we have asthma).

On top of all this, I believe that we had the H1N1 flu this summer. AND, I read a report the other day saying that there were complications if you had the flu and got the vax. I can't find that link, but I confirmed it with one of our docs at work. The catch is, most people who did have H1N1 won't have a lab-confirmed case b/c only people who are admitted to ICU are getting tested.

I dunno. I can't even begin to sort this out. I'm very pro-vax normally and this will be the first year that DD#1 and I have not gotten the seasonal flu vax (DD#2 hasn't been able to have it until this year due to egg allergy).

bubbaray
09-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Yea, see I was gonna post a question about this as well. I have been agonizing over this decision for weeks now. I asked our pedi and she seemed to have no opinion whether we get it or not (she is a new pedi for us since we recently moved into this area). because of that I asked the only doctor whose opinion I trust above all others (DS's pediatric surgeon) and even he said that he was on the fence about it. He said he didn't think there was enough data to support the vaccine and that he had no plans to get it for his daughter.

He didn't specifically tell me not to get it, or that he recommends against it- but he did say he wouldn't have his own family get it. To me that sounds like he is concerned about something with it.

So, needless to say I am still agonizing over this decision.

This is exactly the dilemma I am in. I know many doctors and none of them are going to have THEIR children be first in line to get the vax. Virtually all of them have concerns about the vax when it comes to vax'g their own families. Those that are considering getting it say they will do so "late" to see how other children react. Um, OK, yeah, I'll just have my kids be first in line so that the docs can use them as guinea pigs. Not feelin' the love for that approach.

lcarlson90
09-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I have a question...

Both of my boys got the seasonal flu shot two weeks ago. I keep reading that children under 10 are supposed to get two shots, but our pediatrician gave both boys (ages 14 months and 4 1/2) only one shot. Is this bad? My 4 1/2 year old has had the flu shot before. My 14 month old didn't get it last fall because he was under 6 months, but I think they gave him half of it later at a well-baby-visit.

Is it okay that we gave them the entire dose in only one shot?

bubbaray
09-30-2009, 12:24 AM
The double dosing of a child's first flu shot is not 2 half doses. Its two full doses b/c the child's immune system does not respond sufficiently to the first. ETA -- 2 full pediatric doses.

I would call your doc's office back and see what they say -- they may not have carefully checked the records from last year to see that only 1 dose was received last year.

ett
09-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I have a question...

Both of my boys got the seasonal flu shot two weeks ago. I keep reading that children under 10 are supposed to get two shots, but our pediatrician gave both boys (ages 14 months and 4 1/2) only one shot. Is this bad? My 4 1/2 year old has had the flu shot before. My 14 month old didn't get it last fall because he was under 6 months, but I think they gave him half of it later at a well-baby-visit.

Is it okay that we gave them the entire dose in only one shot?

Your 14 month old is going to need a second flu shot in a month. (I think that's the time spread.) The first time you get a flu shot, you need 2 doses to be fully immuned. (It's not 1/2 dose now and the other half later.) So I believe since he did not get the 2 doses last year, he will need them this year.

ETA: I cross posted with Melissa. I agree to call you doc's office back. They probably just saw that he got the flu vax last year and didn't realize that it wasn't 2 doses.

lcarlson90
09-30-2009, 12:53 AM
So you only need two doses if it's the first time that you are getting the flu shot? I guess this means that my 4 1/2 year old is fine with only one shot because he has been getting the flu shot every year. I thought I read on the Dr. Sears web-site that kids under 10 need two shots, regardless of whether they have had the shot before.

I will call my pediatrician and find out if my 14 month old needs another shot.

ett
09-30-2009, 01:07 AM
So you only need two doses if it's the first time that you are getting the flu shot? I guess this means that my 4 1/2 year old is fine with only one shot because he has been getting the flu shot every year. I thought I read on the Dr. Sears web-site that kids under 10 need two shots, regardless of whether they have had the shot before.

I will call my pediatrician and find out if my 14 month old needs another shot.

Yes, 2 shots the first time for kids under 10. So everyone under 10 will also need 2 H1N1 shots.

citymama
09-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Jackson was diagnosed with H1N1 yesterday and he has been absolutely miserable. Terrible pains (especially in his legs), unbelievable cough, and fever up around 103 which will go down but won't break. I was on the fence about getting the H1N1 vaccine for the boys because they have a severe egg allergy so it is such an ordeal to get them the flu shots at the allergist. Tyler has Reactive Airway Disease so if he gets H1N1 I am certain it will be really bad. After seeing what Jackson has gone through we will without a doubt get it for Tyler and Jaci (if they don't catch it from Jackson). Tyler is on Tamiflu to hopefully prevent it but there is a shortage of it so Jaci is without the Tamiflu. Hopefully it will keep him well and we will be able to get him the vaccine and all will be fine.

Sending P&PT your family's way - hope Jackson recovers fully and quickly and that the rest of you stay healthy. All the best.

I plan to get it ASAP (am 8 weeks pregnant) and most likely DD as well. All indications are that the formulation is no different from the regular flu vaccine. The question is how soon/whether we'll be able to get it.

egoldber
09-30-2009, 07:35 AM
I plan to get H1N1 for Sarah (history of asthma) but no one else. I don't have the data at my fingertips, but a very large % of flu cases this year are H1N1, so I don't personally see the value in the seasonal flu shot *this year*. JMO.

vludmilla
09-30-2009, 07:44 AM
I recall someone quoting that 97% of flu cases this year are H1N1. We're not doing the flu vaccine of any kind for anyone here.

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2009, 07:56 AM
We're not going to get it. We'll get the seasonal flu vaccine and hope for the best. As miserable as the flu is, everyone I know who has had (possibly me included...I can't remember what my flu strain was last spring before the media got hold of this) the flu is back to normal in a few days. It's never fun to get sick but it's not like you are guaranteed to get it if you don't get vaccinated.

Beth

dogmom
09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
There are many reasons to vax for the flu, some more "serious" than others. It is VERY unlikely that you will get sicker after the flu shot than getting the flu. And in fact most people who claim that happens to them when I talk to them about the symptoms pretty clearly were just "sick" after the shot with something unrelated. (People's minds suck at statistics and causal links, that's why we have large computer programs.)

H1N1 is going to effect more young people, i.e.-not elderly. It will hit earlier since there are already pockets that have been simmering during the summer. (Had the neighbor kid get it in August here.) So H1N1 is more likely to make everyone in your house sick in the same week and REALLY screw things over in your household. It is also more likely to have many vectors (supermarket, spouses work place, schools, your work place, etc.). If we would rather not deal with the real or imagined side effects of the vaccine for your kids (I'm sorry, some of the crap out there IS just imaginary), or just a wimp like me and hate struggling to get the kid to the doctor with the needle, at least have the adults in your house get it. That way someone will not be feeling like utter crap in the household and you may not bring it home, a few more vectors lost.

I have to get H1N1, or at least I feel I have too. Really not fair for me as a nurse in an ICU to be bringing this stuff around to people who's immune systems are way to far gone to be dealing with H1N1. Those are the people it might actually kill.

pinkmomagain
09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
2 of my kids already received the flu mist, the 3rd will get it next week. Am waiting to hear what the ped's directive will be and will follow whatever he says, as I have alot of respect for him on these types of issues.

I received my seasonal flu shot a few days ago at the allergist's office. I asked about H1N1 and this office will not be administering this shot to any of it's patients.

khalloc
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I havent read much about the H1N1 vax, I usually do get the seasonal flu vax for my kids. But my DS has asthma and was sick the better part of last winter with pneumonia, bronchitus, colds, etc...I think I will try to at least get the H1N1 vax for him. He is only 18 months. DD is almost 4 and has been pretty healthy.

I didnt hear anything about mercury though, and that does worry me if its alot because I know boys are more prone to autism. Usually my pediatrician tells me the amount of mercury in a vax is so minimal. So I will ask her and see.

sunshine873
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Some PPs have stated that their Drs mentioned "concerns" about the H1N1 vax. I hate that kind of response from a Dr. Concerns? What kind of concerns? That's kind of a blanket statement & makes me wonder what kind of research they've actually done. I guess I just haven't seen any official documentation (other than postings on message boards or rumors) about problems with the Vax's to make me go against Dr's recommendations. Any Dr around here that I've talked to (at least 5 different people) have stated that they'll be getting it and giving it to their kids. I've heard it's really not that different from the normal flu shot. If H1N1 had popped up a little sooner, then it would have just been incorporated into the normal shot and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

DD has Reactive Airway Disease and is still recovering from her premature birth. She'll be getting both the regular flu vax and H1N1 vax at sincere urging from her Dr. She'll also be getting Synagis every month this winter. Way more shots than I want to give for a baby who seems to take days to recover, but she still has such immature lungs and I would hate for her to get hospitalized (or worse) over something that we could have prevented.

As for us, DH is in the military so he'll be getting both whether he wants to or not. I usually get the flu shot and plan on getting H1N1 vax as well. I have to take care of DD - I don't want to get sick.

mommylamb
09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
DS had the seasonal flu mist yesterday and was totally fine. He even went to daycare afterwards. From what I've read so far, I'd get the H1N1 for him if it's available, I just want to wait a little while since he just had the flu mist.

I'm glad DS had the mist this year instead of a shot. I got the shot and I had a bad reaction for the first time ever (and I get it every year, and will continue to get it every year). My muscles ached badly, especially the muscles in my legs. It was strange. I've never had a reaction to a flu shot before.

FWIW, my BIL works for the department of homeland security and is involved with something to do with H1N1, and he is VERY pro getting the shot if possible. My sister, his wife, is pregnant and he said she aboslutely needs to get it no matter what.

JBaxter
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
The nurses I know ( 3 of which are in my family) are not getting the H1N1. My brother is pretty sure he had it but they werent /arnt routinly swabbing for it. He said it was mild as flus go for him. A coworkers husband had it and it was bad <but due to certain religious beliefs he refused come treatment>. There are confirmed cases in the kids school but also a lot of sick kids they suspect of having it. Unless you are REALLY REALLY sick the Doc & ER dont want to see you so there is no real way to know how many people have already had H1N1. L

mecawa
09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I did selective vaxing. DD had one flu shot 2 years ago, but I never went back for the second. For this year, to be fully "covered" according to CDC guidelines, DD need 2 seasonal flu shots and 2 H1N1 flu shots. I can get seasonal flu now as it is available at my ped, but I am so torn. The difference between now and then was that DD goes to daycare now (on a college campus!; commuter school) and back then I was home with her full time. Oh what to do?!?! My fear is that the effects of the vax will be worse than the virus and it may not offer her much protection anyway; but my greater fear is that if my DD gets it, she'll die. WWYD? DD is 2 and has no underlying medical conditions. In general, she is not a sick kid. She's been in daycare since June and has only brought home one cold.

If she were my DD, I would have her get it, just because she is in daycare on a college campus. It will offer her a little extra protection. I am having DD1 get it because she is in school full time, but am debating about DD2 who is 9 months old and is home with me all day.

gordo
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I too am not sure what to do. I did get the seasonal flu shot for both girls and I will be getting it for myself. I work in a school and have asthma so I feel I am pretty likely to get it. My ped is pregnant and said she is giving herself and her DD the H1N1 as soon as it comes out and recommended the girls get it and myself if it is still available at that point. My ped also happens to be my best friend. I totally trust her, but I am still not sure what to do.

crazydiamond
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
This is driving me nuts as well. Opinions all over the map. But got to make a decision. I tend to value the Canadians more than my own US agencies when it comes to Vax’s (sad to say). Wife and I have asthama, DD is 16 months and healthy.

The plan for now is

- Get the H1N1 as soon as available

- Delay to late Decemeber (or not at all) the Season Flu

- Review Pneumococcal (Prevnar) options

Moneypenny
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
We never do the seasonal flu shot, so this year in particular, when most of the circulating flu strain is not the strain the regular shot vaccinates again, we definitely won't be doing that. I think we'll also skip H1N1. We know several people who have had it. They've been pretty miserable for a couple of days, mildly miserable for another day or two, and then fine. Also, none of them have spread it to family members.

Fairy
09-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I am getting DS the H1N1. Assuming it's available as a shot, not the mist.

jesseandgrace
09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I definitely won't be getting it! I really think it is dangerous to give a small child something not sufficiently tested and especially two doses. Also, having it in its relatively mild form now will offer a much better lifetime immunity than an unproven vax. I don't do the regular flu shot either. I read today on Boston dot com that 20,000 people have had it since they started checking in the Spring, and it seems like the percentages of those recovering just fine are no worse than the regular flu. I'm not saying it won't be awful, but it isn't worth the vax to me.

maestramommy
09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I thought I was sure what I was going to do, but with all the conflicting info out there I'm now totally confused. Dora has a wellcheck at the end of October, which point I hope to have made some sort of decision.

lizzywednesday
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I am getting DS the H1N1. Assuming it's available as a shot, not the mist.

Yes, it's available as an injection.

Early reports indicated that the FIRST doses available would be mist (at least in my media area) but three out of the four companies manufacturing the H1N1 vaccine are doing so as an injection.

HTH!

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Update in OP.

Sillygirl
10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I definitely won't be getting it! I really think it is dangerous to give a small child something not sufficiently tested and especially two doses.

This is not a totally new vaccine. It is a flu shot with a slightly different target. I keep hearing this statement and it is, at best, a gross exaggeration.

My kids and I will get the H1N1 as soon as it's available. I am honestly not too stressed about getting the seasonal vaccine this year. Last week's CDC report showed that of all the flu strains from this season that they tested in patients, 99% were H1N1. This has been consistent for many weeks.

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 05:18 PM
When you say you "aren't too stressed" about getting the seasonal flu vax, do you mean that you won't be rushing to the doc for it?

ETA: I know you are the doc; just not sure if you stick yourself...

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
This is not a totally new vaccine. It is a flu shot with a slightly different target. I keep hearing this statement and it is, at best, a gross exaggeration.

My kids and I will get the H1N1 as soon as it's available. I am honestly not too stressed about getting the seasonal vaccine this year. Last week's CDC report showed that of all the flu strains from this season that they tested in patients, 99% were H1N1. This has been consistent for many weeks. What would you do if your kids were infants (under 1 year) though? Would you give an infant both vax or just H1N1? My ped said he is not vaccinating his kids with the H1N1 unless the the H1N1 virus becomes extremely widespread.

Sillygirl
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
What would you do if your kids were infants (under 1 year) though? Would you give an infant both vax or just H1N1? My ped said he is not vaccinating his kids with the H1N1 unless the the H1N1 virus becomes extremely widespread.

?????? Flu activity in 28 states (as of last Friday) is high above historical norms for this time of year. 99% of it was H1N1. It is a global pandemic. Not sure what your ped's definition of widespread is, but I'm pretty sure this would qualify.

Sillygirl
10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
When you say you "aren't too stressed" about getting the seasonal flu vax, do you mean that you won't be rushing to the doc for it?

ETA: I know you are the doc; just not sure if you stick yourself...

I mean I don't think it's very important this year. Every other year I am first in line to get it.

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I am worried about giving the H1N1 to my 8 month old. Both kiddos are scheduled for their regular flu shots on Oct. 17. Now I don't know what to do. My head is spinning!

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I mean I don't think it's very important this year. Every other year I am first in line to get it.

Ok. Decision Made. No seasonal vax, but yes an H1N1 vax. The fact that you and my ped agree makes me feel ok about this decision. Nervous, but ok. I also read the Dr. Sears website, and FWIW, he raised concern about giving a child 4 flu vaxes in one year, which is what my DD would possibly need if she got both.

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 06:28 PM
?????? Flu activity in 28 states (as of last Friday) is high above historical norms for this time of year. 99% of it was H1N1. It is a global pandemic. Not sure what your ped's definition of widespread is, but I'm pretty sure this would qualify. I guess he does not think it is serious enough yet to give it to his kids, which concerns me. Other posters have reported this as well, so it's not like he's the only ped on the fence.

MNmomtobe
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
We did the seasonal flu shot for DD. She will get the H1N1 also if/when it is available.

egoldber
10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Over 90%+ of reported flu cases this year are H1N1. I don't personally see the value in getting the seasonal flu vax *this year*. However, large federal agencies cannot say that without seriously angering large pharma companies that spend $$$ every year developing and manufacturing the seasonal flu vax.

Honestly, if you would give the seasonal flu vax, I don't understand the reticence to give H1N1. Every year the flu vax is different based on that year's circulating strain of flu.The H1N1 vax was developed and manufactured in exactly the same way. If you're leery of the flu vax in general, that's a different concern.

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Honestly, if you would give the seasonal flu vax, I don't understand the reticence to give H1N1. Every year the flu vax is different based on that year's circulating strain of flu.The H1N1 vax was developed and manufactured in exactly the same way. If you're leery of the flu vax in general, that's a different concern.

My personal apprehension was giving DD 4 flu vaxes in a two month period. My ped told me what you did, than the vax was mfg'd the same way as the seasonal. I'm not apprehensive about the vaxes individually.

egoldber
10-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I was speaking generally. :)

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
My personal apprehension was giving DD 4 flu vaxes in a two month period. My ped told me what you did, than the vax was mfg'd the same way as the seasonal. I'm not apprehensive about the vaxes individually. :yeahthat:

ang79
10-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I emailed my aunt about this, as she is a nurse in her local (though small, rural) hospital. Here was her quick response. My cousin is in Jr. High, but his ped. is apparently against it, as I've read and heard that others in the medical field are. It just makes me nervous if doctors aren't recommending it or getting the shot for their families....

"I don't know what to tell you. They will both need 2 of the H1N1 shots. Adam's pediatrician is not recommending it for any of his patient's. He said that the CDC has pushed it through too fast without getting good studies, and that the side effects can be quite severe. I heard that neurological side effects can be as high as 15-20% and gastrointestinal 30%. I would check it out on the pediatric website as well as the CDC."

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I emailed my aunt about this, as she is a nurse in her local (though small, rural) hospital. Here was her quick response. My cousin is in Jr. High, but his ped. is apparently against it, as I've read and heard that others in the medical field are. It just makes me nervous if doctors aren't recommending it or getting the shot for their families....

"I don't know what to tell you. They will both need 2 of the H1N1 shots. Adam's pediatrician is not recommending it for any of his patient's. He said that the CDC has pushed it through too fast without getting good studies, and that the side effects can be quite severe. I heard that neurological side effects can be as high as 15-20% and gastrointestinal 30%. I would check it out on the pediatric website as well as the CDC."

That's interesting because I asked my ped if he was doing it for his kids and he said yes, both seasonal and H1N1. His boys are 3, 6, and 9. He feels comfortable based on the fact that the vax is produced in the same was as seasonal: grown in eggs. So I guess it goes to show that even peds are people of varying mindsets.