PDA

View Full Version : Tea Set Opinions Needed

hbridge
09-30-2009, 06:35 AM
As the holidays approach, I am paying extra attention to DC desires and likes. DD seems to be interested in tea lately. I have the new Fancy Nancy Tea party book for her and want to make sure I have a tea set ready for actualy tea parties (with tea we can drink, ect). It's important to her that the sugar bowl has two handles (long story...). To complete an adult tea set, I need to get a sugar bowl and creamer which I will so so we have it.

However, I was in a consignment store yesterday and they had a beautiful porcelain tea set. Very much like Grandma would have. The tea pot was small, maybe 10 oz, with beautiful little tea cups and saucers, creamer and sugar bowl. They were painted with pink flowers and had gold on the rim. The price is $12. I'm tempted to get it for DD, but am wondering if I'm crazy to since it is SO delicate. DD is 5 and is sometimes very gentle, but can also be a little crazy... Also, I'm wondering how the set would fair in the diswasher...

What do you all think?

ellies mom
09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
For $12, I'd get the set. I would hand wash it though. And save it for "special occasion" tea parties. If it survives childhood, it would make a great "memento".

That said, I'd also invest in the Green Toy tea set (http://www.greentoys.com/tea.html). It meets the rest of your requirements (except for the two handles on the sugar bowl) and isn't breakable so it would be great for her to play with on daily basis and for tea parties with younger siblings.

We have two sets. The nicer porcelain set and the green toy set so that the nicer set can stay safe from toddler hands.

mykidsmom
10-03-2009, 12:19 PM
We have the set from PBK and love it. I like that we don't have to be too careful with it. It is pricy but super well made and comes in a nice little box that is also tin and has handles.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
For $12, I'd get the set. I would hand wash it though. And save it for "special occasion" tea parties. If it survives childhood, it would make a great "memento".

That said, I'd also invest in the Green Toy tea set (http://www.greentoys.com/tea.html). It meets the rest of your requirements (except for the two handles on the sugar bowl) and isn't breakable so it would be great for her to play with on daily basis and for tea parties with younger siblings.

We have two sets. The nicer porcelain set and the green toy set so that the nicer set can stay safe from toddler hands.

I second the Green Toys, It is BPA-Free and foodsafe, too. We LOVE ours.

Vintheland
10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Ikea has a tea set. Its porcelain but marketed as very durable, and appropriate for young kids. And its cute!