PDA

View Full Version : Does your baby/toddler boy have (shallow) attractions?

sste
09-30-2009, 10:12 AM
This is one I would never have believed before becoming a parent. Since about 12 or 14 months I have noticed that DS gravitates to a certain kind of attractive, ultra-feminine woman. I mean, he will plop on their laps, hug them, take them by the hand, not cry if one of them is a first-time babysitter, gaze at them adoringly. It is like watching baby pheromones (sp?) in action.

And he is shallow about it! I know who he is going to be drawn to: large breasts, long, swishy hair, make-up and perfume, tight jeans or stretch pants, jangly earrings, pretty but not striking. It is a little depressing that attraction on the basis of such superficial things seems to be hardwired.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know it sounds like I am projecting but I am one of those moms who keeps a diary for her kid and says things like "one day when you and your partner . . ."

vonfirmath
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I dunno. My own son seems to be attracted to men. Maybe cause he spent so much time with his daddy (a SAHD)? Are some of these things that attract him to others things that also apply to you?

sste
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Sadly no!! Not at all. But his behavior is very striking - - DH has noticed it, our friends have noticed it, I have noticed it.

Maybe I have a baby don juan on my hands.

crazydiamond
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
My 15 month old DD, at the age of one, expressed a similar type of attraction for good looking young Latin men. She really kind of embarassed me. Sigh...what you going to do? Every person, even little ones, has their own unique personality and likes and dislikes. Nature vs. Nurture. Some behaviors are learned – something’s are hardwired.

BabyMine
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Both of my DC do this. Of course DH looks at me and says " that's my boys". DS1 used to stare at pretty waitresses all the time. He would watch them walk away. DS2 started this a couple months ago.

Piglet
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
My friend's son is just like that. He is 3 or 4 now and still always goes for that "type". We had swimming lessons together and he always went for the cute blond swimming assistant - we laughed, but he was SUCH a flirt with her!

chinook
09-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Oh yes. DS has always had an "eye for the ladies" as DH and I like to joke. I swear even as an infant he would stare at attractive women. Now he's 3 and there's a cute coach at gymnastics that he has a total crush on. That boy will travel the entire length of the foam pit to get closer to the object of his desire. :)

AnnieW625
09-30-2009, 11:10 AM
No sons, but at around 6 mos. DD was instantly attracted to bright shiny things like diamonds. She still likes pretty things, and that was the first sign that we could have a girly girl on our hands.

Laurel
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Yep, DS definitely does this. He also looooves playing with Barbies and will kiss them, etc. Our joke is that he will either love the ladies or want to be one ;)

kozachka
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I think some things are definitely hardwired. My DS prefers long hair, which as we know it is a sign of health. Other than that he does not really has a preference. He likes blonds but is also attracted to women with dark hair. He does not care about age or fitness level as long as he likes the woman. And he is such a ladies man, it's not even funny. Often time he prefers mom over the daughter, which I find puzzling but oh well...

elektra
09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
DS hasn't exhibited this kind of behavior yet and I haven't noticed any preferences for DD.
But my niece would be so scared of any woman with dark skin or hair, and would only let blondes hold her. We all just thought it was because her mom is blonde and fair (she is from Finland). The funny part was that DN herself has very dark hair and skin, as she takes after her dad who is a Mexican/Filipino/white mix.

jenfromnj
09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Do the women he is drawn to tend to look like you at all? I've noticed that DS already gravitates toward women with long, blond hair and larger breasts--he will even go out of his way to get their attention if we're on line at the grocery store or elsewhere. But my husband pointed out (after seeing this in action, originally he did not believe me, LOL) that the women he was drawn to had a definite resemblance to me, who he spends 95% of this time with.

jesseandgrace
09-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Definitely! Both my boys have done this, it is so strange to me. Always the "Barbie" type, and they will do exactly what you say. My oldest is 9 years old now, and he will still act differently around teenage girls. Definitely hard wired. My dd does this with boys a little, but they are usually younger and she isn't so obvious about it!

sste
09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
No, I am the opposite in looks - - short hair, small chest, attractive not in a "cute" way, never wear make up or earrings, favorite clothing is baggy yoga pants.

His type is kind of like a girl next door cute/pretty look with make-up and a "rack!"

The first time I noticed it was when he got up off of my lap in a music class, crawled over and spent the entire remainder of the class sitting on ANOTHER MOMMY'S lap who was his "type!!"

maestramommy
09-30-2009, 02:55 PM
LOL!

A friend of ours has twin boys, and from a very early age (18 months?) they've been attracted to women and teen girls with long blond hair, probably very attractive. At first it was a love of their babysitter, but I have since heard that one of them was flirting with a random nanny, and that when a new babysitter showed up, with those specs, they were all excited, and practically shooed their parents out the door. They are 6. Mostly they like to talk to the women a lot, show off a little, just do whatever to get their attention. :p

essnce629
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
DS1 was like this from a very early age. You should have seen him when he met my very pretty friend who has long red hair for the first time! It was like he was in heaven! All smiles and cooing just for her! He's 6 now and still flirts with pretty young women! We lived in an apartment complex with a pool before and from the age of 3 would always try and go over and talk to all the young college girls! He even ditched our good neighboor friend when he saw two younger prettier women getting in the pool and had to go talk to them! And he always has a girlfriend at school! DS2 is only 4 months old and doesn't seem to be like DS1. He is much more attached to mommy and takes a while to warm up to new people.

catsnkid
09-30-2009, 03:52 PM
DS likes all the ladies. But lately his favorite person is the tall white haired biker dude that lives next door. I think it is because he doesn't look like anyone else he comes into contact with.

eliasmom
09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
This is a funny thread for me because I recently noticed that my DD seems to gravitate toward girls with blond hair to be friends.

dcmom2b3
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
DD has a type for oogling and flirting; tall, well put together, handsome, muscular men who are more ethnic-looking than not. She'll practically give herself whiplash looking at beautiful men.

But her best friend and, I think, soulmate, is a fairer-than-fair 3 y.o. of N. European heritage, who's silly and goofy and earnestly besotted with her too. That's who she picks "special" rocks and acorns for and dreams about. :heartbeat:

megs4413
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
actually I've noticed this with my DS. We kind of just giggle about it. He likes pretty women, especially blondes, and is always drawn to big boobies. it's so strange. He even flirts....he'll wink and smile and wave. it's definitely hardwired.

how sad is it that I am actually a little disappointed? i always said i'd be accepting of my kids no matter what...and i'm disappointed in him for being the average male? how hypocritical of me! LOL!

wencit
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
It's nice to know there are so many boys on the board who are like this! I thought my DS1 was totally crazy when, at about a year old, he literally puckered up and tried to kiss another pretty girl at the mall. When he was 18 months, we were ordering at a restaurant when the waitress jumped back in surprise. Turns out, he was rubbing her belly quite affectionately. He's 3 1/2 now and still has a penchant for girls, especially older ones. During playgroup, he follows around the older sister of one of the boys like a lost puppy dog. Sometimes I even use it against him, "You know, DS, Sarah doesn't like little boys who don't brush their teeth....." "OK, Mommy, I brush my teeth!" LOL!

Gena
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
DS was like this as a baby/toddler. He loved to stare at the waitresses in resturants. On more than one occassion he would even pat the waitress's behind.

kozachka
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Did I mention that DS looooves flight attendants? He even takes candy onboard to give it to them. I've asked him why, hoping to find out why so many guys fantasize about flight attendants, and DS' answer is hardly surprising - "because they give me whatever I ask for". Plus they wear red lipstick. Yeah, right... Not exactly what he is used to at home.

jgenie
10-02-2009, 11:21 PM
YES!! We were at lunch today with DH and he was laughing because DS was making eyes at the women seated around us - doesn't pay any attention to the men, but definitely notices the women - busty and pretty especially!!

shawnandangel
10-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Oh man, if we are in a resteraunt and sitting anywhere near a man. . .DD has eyes for them. Right now, it's all men. She coos, she babbles, she smiles, she waves. Anything to get them to smile at her and then she laughs and laughs. I tell DH he is going to be in trouble during the teen years. I said "get your gun and start cleaning it on the front porch now! Get a reputation for yourself before it's too late!" LOL!!