PDA

View Full Version : This is ridiculous!

Laurel
09-30-2009, 11:49 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_on_re_us/us_baby_sitter_backlash_mich

A woman has been busted as an "unlicensed daycare" for keeping an eye on neighborhood kids while they wait for the school bus. She doesn't get paid- this is just a favor to friends who have to get to work earlier than the bus comes!

I watch other people's kids as a favor all the time, and vice-versa. Our neighborhood relies on this kind of thing, how about yours? This seems like such a waste of the State's time to investigate!

Tondi G
09-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Thats STUPID! They need to worry about other situations!

egoldber
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I guess personally I am torn on this. While I think it's great to help out a neighbor in need, at some point, if you are accepting children into your home EVERY day for care, you are a child care, whether that is what you want to be called or not.

As a parent in this situation I would worry about the contingencies for things like accidents, the bus doesn't come, etc. Again, not something you worry about for occasional, informal things, but for an EVERY day care situation, I think it's different.

I also haven't seen anywhere that says how many children. It says 3 moms, but there could be more than one child per family, etc.

BabyMine
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Here is the video from the Today show. They asked her about what would happen if there were any accidents that happen in her home.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/09/middleville_mom_speaks_on_toda.html

JustMe
09-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I think this is ridiculous. (I am not able to view the video on my dial-up connection, so this is being said without having said that). Now, one of the big differences is that this woman does not appear to be accepting money, while daycares/childcares charge for their services. Really, I get the point about needing to regulate for safety, but I feel this is a decision parents should be able to make when they are lucky enough to have it as an option. It is especially angering (okay, not a word but the best one I can think of for this situation) as someone who has no local family. If the person who does this is a relative of several kids its okay but if they are a non-relative then its not?

elektra
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I wonder why the neighbor complained? Maybe just the noise of the drop offs? Or did the neighbor feel the kids weren't being watched properly?
This seems like no biggie to me if it's what the lady says it is- just kids waiting for an hour at her house before the bus comes.

ladysoapmaker
09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I did read in the article that the state government is going to work on getting that law changed. It would have been a different story if she was being paid but it was just a courtesy to her neighbors.

I would love to see the complaint from the neighbor that causes the whole mess.

Jen

heatherlynn
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
This is just absurd. I took care of my friend's daughter (and my daughter's friend - same girl) for the last 3 years every morning before school. She was a working single mom and I was very happy to do it w/out pay. And me and my neighbors frequently watch each others' kids. For example, Wednesdays me and one neighbor have to each take one of our kids to lessons. Our 3rd neighbor watches our kindergarteners if we're not home by the time the bus comes. Also, on MWF, my one neighbor watches my other neighbor's DD why she takes her youngest to preschool. This is what neighbors do.

As for what if there's an accident - well, I'd treat it as if it were my own kid. It's just that - an accident, not a potential lawsuit. I am soooo grateful that I live in a neighborhood like we do. We often have dinner together, take the kids places, have parties and sleepovers... but I digress.

Ceepa
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Also wondering how the neighbor framed the complaint.

codex57
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I wonder why the neighbor complained? Maybe just the noise of the drop offs? Or did the neighbor feel the kids weren't being watched properly?
This seems like no biggie to me if it's what the lady says it is- just kids waiting for an hour at her house before the bus comes.

It could be a nosy neighbor or one with a bone to pick and just looking for something to report her on.

Claki
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
This ABC News article has more background:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-mom-shun-daughters-schoolmates/story?id=8712305

Andi98989
09-30-2009, 01:26 PM
This whole thing is nuts. During the interview they also discussed that it's okay for her to have kids over to play in the afternoon if the other children's parents are at home, but if the parent leaves their home to go and run an errand, then it's childcare and illegal.

niccig
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
This whole thing is nuts. During the interview they also discussed that it's okay for her to have kids over to play in the afternoon if the other children's parents are at home, but if the parent leaves their home to go and run an errand, then it's childcare and illegal.

That's crazy. A couple of friends and I always swap babysitting. There is no way we could get to some appointments if we didn't.