PDA

View Full Version : Thermos food jar logistics?

GaPeach_in_Ca
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I picked up a funtainer food jar on clearance last week. I was excited about it after ready about it on the BBB.

My question is do you pack it in the lunch box with the rest of the food? And if so, do you still put an ice pack in to keep the rest cool?

I generally send an ice pack in my son's bag to keep his cut up fruit, cheese, etc. cool for lunch time. Today, I sent in the Funtainer with chicken & dumplings and packed it in the lunch box. Since it was in the lunch box, I didn't put an ice pack and just packed room temp food (apple, juice pouch, Z bar), but I can't keep that up.

Just curious what others do with the ice pack!

egoldber
09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
My question is do you pack it in the lunch box with the rest of the food? And if so, do you still put an ice pack in to keep the rest cool?

Yes and yes. :)

GaPeach_in_Ca
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks Beth!

I wasn't sure if the ice pack would keep the food from staying warm... I obviously am new to the packing lunch business! :)

bnme
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Good to know. DS has a lunch box with a separate compartment on the bottom that I've been using. But sometimes I can't configure stuff so that the cold stuff fits in the bottom only.

clc053103
09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I do put an ice pack in. Also I use hot water to "preheat" the funtainer- seems to keep the food hot longer!

niccig
09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I do put an ice pack in. Also I use hot water to "preheat" the funtainer- seems to keep the food hot longer!

:yeahthat: I put boiling water in the thermos to heat it up while I prepare lunch. Dry it out and then put the hot food in. I still pack an icepack to keep the other food cool.

bubbaray
09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I put boiling water in first, pour it out (don't bother to dry it, LOL), put heated food in, put it in the lunchbag. I put the ice pack in too for yogurt and small Rubbermaid milk container.

HTH