PDA

View Full Version : What's your go-to distraction, comfort-item, "bribe," etc. for DC?

srhs
09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
You know, the thing that works time and time again?

Right now:
DC1 (17 mos): Milo & Otis or "Dog Movie"...has stopped a few nothing-else-will-do meltdowns
DC2 (1 mo): Sling

Post yours because I need more ideas in my back pocket!

deenass
09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
They are small, portable, don't melt and he has to tell me what color they are before he can eat it - so, in my mind, somewhat educational (he doesn't have to get the color right but it gives us an opportunity to talk about it).

You are all making me feel SO much better about the Tic Tacs, I though I was going to get FLAMED for giving my 2 1/2 year old candy (I won't admit to how early I gave them to him, but will admit to them being a LIFESAVER with an adamant child who DOES NOT WANT TO GET INTO HIS CARSEAT despite the fact that his older brother is going to be late for school!!!)

hillview
09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Chocolate and TV for DS #1. Almost anything/nothing for DS #2, it just depends. With DS#2 I could say "do you want to go get a cup of water" and he'd forget the drama or not at all.
/hillary

egoldber
09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Popcorn. My kids are popcornaholics.

AnnieW625
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
music in the car. In home usually a movie, but also popsicles as long as DD has eaten all of her dinner. I always forget about popcorn!

Fairy
09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Great thread!

He has not had too many tantrums or meltdowns, but the few he has had were "nothing is gonna help but letting him cool off" situations. However, when he needs bribing? Starbucks. Easily, every time, Starbucks. It's just milk and a scone, but that is foolproof bribery almost every time for us. In the alternative, candy snack.

pinkmomagain
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Gummy snacks or dum dum lollipops.

fauve01
09-30-2009, 02:49 PM
well, her baby lovey is my first try when trying to comfort or get DD to do something. next is M&Ms. :ROTFLMAO:

a + DD 10-03

niccig
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Lolipop or gummy bears
Fireman Sam

Last Thursday nothing worked, and I had to just let him run out of steam. Thankfully we were at home, so no witnesses.

mommylamb
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
DS loves the Letter Factory Leapfrog DVD. If he has a real meltdown and I need to get him to cooperate ASAP, I ask if he wants to go home and watch "Letters" as he calls it. Works like a charm, but I try not to use it often.

bnme
09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
ice cream, lollipops, airheads, or Pokemon cards

Reyadawnbringer
09-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Yo Gabba Gabba. We do NOT let DS watch TV unless he watches this show (usually 2 or three times a week and thats it). This show will stop him dead in his tracks. Works everytime without fail.

He also loves the leapfrog learn and groove table. His favorite thing on it is the banjo. Sometimes when he is having a real fit we will walk over and pull the banjo and make music play. When he hears it he shuts right up and starts rocking/dancing to the music.

calv
09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
yummu earth lollipops. Thankfully I dont feel too guilty giving them to the kids to get me through shopping AND the checkout line!

codex57
09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
DS - goldfish crackers (pretty much any carbohydrate food, altho close seconds are cheerios and french fries), or his Sesame Street Alphabet All Stars dvd

DD - boob

KpbS
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
DS1: Sweetarts or Smarties. DS2: potato chips or rice chex or any fruit.

Piglet
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Gummy snacks or dum dum lollipops.

Ah yes, the Dum-Dum... that has saved us from a number of meltdowns (and have made for a good distraction while waiting for something or other)! I used to have them strategically placed in my van, only to discover we get them at the hair place and at the doctor and at swimming lessons... seriously the world is run by Dum-Dums!

WatchingThemGrow
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
CG - Curious George. There is always a fresh on one TiVo and there's always a "situation" where we need to use it. Any DVD in the car will work. We rarely use the system, but when we do, it is worth the $$$.

infomama
09-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Yummy Earth suckers. (that is a big gun)