PDA

View Full Version : What age/grade do you think is appropriate for viewing "Hannah Montana"?

nofeea
09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't want to influence any answers so I'm going to leave it as a simple question to start ;) I'm REALLY curious to see what others have to say about this...

maestramommy
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
10? I'm being conservative:D

lilycat88
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I know this isn't realistic. But, how about never? I don't like the "attitude". How old is Hanna Montana, anyway? I'd say DD would need to be a minimum of within a couple of years of however old the character is.

Girls in DDs preschool class (3-4 year olds) had Hanna Montana cakes for their birthdays. I would consider that too young . :shrug:

lizzywednesday
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I know this isn't realistic. But, how about never? I don't like the "attitude". How old is Hanna Montana, anyway? I'd say DD would need to be a minimum of within a couple of years of however old the character is.

Girls in DDs preschool class (3-4 year olds) had Hanna Montana cakes for their birthdays. I would consider that too young . :shrug:

It's perfectly realistic if you cancel cable!

pinkmomagain
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a 13, 10, and almost 4 yo. I can't imagine kids really enjoying it until maybe 8 yo. My 3yo has watched it but doesn't really like it and will complain if her older sisters put it on.

hbridge
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
A friend pointed this out to me, so I watched an episode and was SHOCKED by how the adults are portrayed in the show. I think 10 is a good age... Actually I hope DC's never become interested.

lilycat88
09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
That only works at our house. Actually, she doesn't seem to know yet that Hanna Montana is an actual show. She thinks she's just some character on shirts and stuff. But, she also thinks her father is deathly afraid of Spongebob and that's why it's never on at our house. She's 5 and still pretty much blissfully unaware of most things we don't care for on TV.

fauve01
09-30-2009, 02:47 PM
10? I'm being conservative:D

:yeahthat:

DD will be 6 next week and we still watch only the Disney princess movies,along with Spirit.

A + DD 10-03

lizzywednesday
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
A friend pointed this out to me, so I watched an episode and was SHOCKED by how the adults are portrayed in the show. I think 10 is a good age... Actually I hope DC's never become interested.

There'll be something worse out by the time they're that age ... when I was 10, the "shocking" (albeit vaguely nerdy) show to watch was Degrassi Junior High on PBS.

For kids who had cable, it was Beavis and Butt-head.

egoldber
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmm. I think the material is most appropriate for tweens, but I *think* most kids have stopped watching it by then. It seems to be most popular with 5-8 year olds here. I could myself lucky that Sarah was never really interested in HM or HSM.

alexsmommy
09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I know quite a few 5-8 year olds who watch, but the majority of them have older siblings who influence television time. DS1 has seen it but doesn't love it (I'm guessing gender and age issue), but if he and DSD (16) are sharing the playroom/tv room Disney "tween" shows are the best compromise. I try to keep an ear open about the themes and DSD is finally pretty good at knowing when something is too adult for DS1 and will change it or come to me to negotiate time for her to have the t.v. by herself. If DS1 sees something non-ideal we discuss it. Same thing I did with DSD.
The good thing is, DS1 loses interest pretty quickly and with either go back to Legos, listening to music in his room or will try to get DSD to play wii with him instead.
I think of it as one of the many things where ones standards change b/w the first and second child since control/dynamics change in the household. DSD was one of the last of her freinds to be allowed to watch a lot of shows and we had MTV locked forever but obviously we're more lenient with DS1 to be fair to DSD - who still has to watch things way below her age level until the boys come upstairs at 7p.
This is how DS1 won the "Spongebob" argument - although I notice he only watches it if DSD is, he rarely turns to it on his own. I know Spongebob is not horrible, it just drives me crazy. Now DS1 is finding out how frustrated DSD is at time since DS1 wants to watch Cartoon Network and he's only allowed to watch certain shows from there when DS2 is napping.
I'm laughing because this makes it sound like the kids watch a lot more tv than they do, though I am waaaaaay more lenient than a lot of the moms on here and DH still thinks I am very strict. It's just that especially during the school year, the amount of time we are even in the house and have down time is limited and with three kids at very different viewing ages, compromises are often negotiated.

AnnieW625
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I think it's popular because of all of the merchandizing of it beginning around age 5. I am not looking forward to that day, however I have actually seen the show way back when it first started getting popular and Billy Ray was on DWTS (I had to see what it was all about). It wasn't all that bad, but I thought it was more appropriate for 10 to 12 year olds, kind of like Saved by the Bell from my generation. I won't let DD watch it, however I bet that it might only be on for another season or two because once Miley hits 18 she'll have much more opportunity to do other work besides Disney stuff.

Also Degrassi Jr. High looking back for a pre teen was way more sophisticated than Saved by the Bell was. Teen sex was talked about a lot, as was going behind your parents back to wear makeup, and it was pretty adult IMHO. However it wasn't marketed like Hannah Montana. It was very word of mouth, but then there was no internet in 1989 when I was 12!

AHH.....Beavis and Butthead. Loved that show in high school and no I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 13 watch it.

Melaine
09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
By the time they reach the age I would allow it they would probably be disinterested.

Fairy
09-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty opinionated about this and HSM. I have a mommy friend who let her daughter start watching both of these at age 2, and I just don't get it. The themes are way too age-inappropirate and, in fact, adult. I'm not thrilled with HM in general. Mainly cuz I'm not thrilled with Miley Cyrus in general. I'd say age 10 is probably reasonable. My 5yo doesn't watch it, and when we're at the mommy friend's house, I ask politely that they watch Noggin. On the days I lose and they're wtching Nick, I deal. But HM and HSM are a big no, period.

Spongebob is a big no here, too. He got a Spongebob game for his bday; it's going back.

s7714
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd like to say 12 or 13, but am guessing reality would be a little younger than that, LOL.

There are a multitude of girls in my DDs 1st grade class who are into Hannah, HSM, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. A lot of those girls also have older sisters, so I'm guessing they're already getting exposed to a lot of that stuff from other places anyway.

I sat down with my 6 year old DD over the summer and we tried watching an episode of Hannah Montana. She kept asking about watching it since many of her friends are fans, so I decided we'd give it a try. I knew she'd get bored with it, and sure enough she literally watched three minutes of it before asking to watch something else. :yay:

brittone2
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Our neighbor next door is 5 and has watched since 3. They do HM bday parties, clothes, etc. She has an older sister though now so that may play a big part (although the sister is so NOT a girlie girl so I'd actually be surprised if she liked HM).

The HM definitely got into a lot of the girl next door's play...she was always re-enacting boyfriend/girlfriend drama. SHe'd tell DS his name was X and he was her boyfriend, etc. (to which DS would roll his eyes and ask to play something else LOL, but that's probably typical of most boys his age!) I know kids who don't watch HM can get into the concept of boyfriend/girlfriend, etc. as well (my best friend in Kindergarten and I would chase boys around the tables and try to kiss them :rolleye0014: ) but the overall themes in the neighbor's play are very mature IMO compared to most kids that age (particularly evident when she was younger...like age 3-4.)

kransden
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
My answer is never, but lots of kinders watch that show.

nofeea
09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, thanks for all those responses. So here's what precipitated the question...
My not yet 7yr.old, 2nd grade DD has never been allowed to watch HM. Of course, she knows who she is and recognizes the merchandise, etc but she's never really shown an real interest in her anyway even though I'm aware that many of her classmates (mostly those with older siblings, I thought) have been watching for at least a couple of years. Well this weekend DD went to a "movie theater" birthday party. DH took her and I know it's totally my fault for not asking before but I was shocked to pick her up and find out that the movie was Hannah Montana. DD was giddy telling me how much she loved it and how EVERYBODY in second grade watches it and can she please watch at home now. Now I know that it is unlikely that every other kid in the grade watches it...(I know for a fact that her best friend does not but she couldn't attend the party). Is it possible that I was the only parent there shocked at that movie choice for second graders? This is a whole grade of kids...I haven't heard of anyone else perturbed about this.

I was just wondering if I was being overly protective or if anyone else thought this was a little...inappropriate? Is it me?

kransden
09-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes it is totally possible that you are the only parent upset by this. I loathe HM to put it mildly, but I would have let my dd go to the party. I even let her watch it occasionally on TV. Funny how when she happens to be watching it, we need to do something else ;). I don't want her to get a complex, or get labeled weird at school because of my dislike of Miley Cyrus, but there are better things she could be watching. Other pp may not agree with me, but I would let her watch an episode or two then always have something else to do or watch during that time. It's not that great of a show, and dd doesn't miss watching it. This was my example of 'choosing your battles'. Dd and I have more important things to wrangle over. :)

alexsmommy
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
I was just wondering if I was being overly protective or if anyone else thought this was a little...inappropriate? Is it me?

Well, I know when it came out in theatres DS1 (who was in K) was invited to go see it with several of his friends who had sisters in 2nd grade. Doesn't make it right, but I guess it also does not shock me. Another mom and I took her son and DS1 to see Monsters vs Aliens at the same time instead and honestly, because it was a day off for the elementary schools by us, there were TONS of K - 3rd grade girls there. I remember really noticing it because it was a noon showing and DSD was going with her friends to an afternoon showing. I remember thinking, "Mmm, most of the older girls must be going to later showings."
I think this is just one of those lessons learned. I am sometimes shocked what mothers who I enjoy and respect will let their kids watch, and I'm sure there are moms who are shocked at some things DS1 watches.
I do think it was a failure of communication on both ends, yours and the party giver. I would think she should have listed the intended movie and as you mentioned, since she didn't you should have asked as well and then made your decision. DH once rented DS1 one of those old Batman cartoons which to me can still be too dark for little kids. During a playdate he and his friend begged to watch it. I had seen it and was ok with the episode, but I called the mom and cleared it with her first.

kijip
09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with PP that by the time the content is what I'd consider appropriate, then most kids would consider themselves too old for it. I can't picture a 11-13 or older kid being interested, so I don't get the older sibling reason. It drives me NUTS that Disney markets HSM and HM to little kids.

Of all the reasons we DON'T have cable, this is in the top 3 reasons.

s7714
09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, thanks for all those responses. So here's what precipitated the question...
My not yet 7yr.old, 2nd grade DD has never been allowed to watch HM. Of course, she knows who she is and recognizes the merchandise, etc but she's never really shown an real interest in her anyway even though I'm aware that many of her classmates (mostly those with older siblings, I thought) have been watching for at least a couple of years. Well this weekend DD went to a "movie theater" birthday party. DH took her and I know it's totally my fault for not asking before but I was shocked to pick her up and find out that the movie was Hannah Montana. DD was giddy telling me how much she loved it and how EVERYBODY in second grade watches it and can she please watch at home now. Now I know that it is unlikely that every other kid in the grade watches it...(I know for a fact that her best friend does not but she couldn't attend the party). Is it possible that I was the only parent there shocked at that movie choice for second graders? This is a whole grade of kids...I haven't heard of anyone else perturbed about this.

I wouldn't have been happy about the movie choice, but I wouldn't have restricted my DD from going just because of it. Although my DD never had any interest in watching Star Wars until she went to a boy's themed birthday party. Now she thinks she "loves" Star Wars (but she still hasn't seen the movies). So I can understand the issue since it suddenly makes that stuff seem all the cooler to our innocent DCs! ;)

I have questioned a couple other moms who I know let their kids (one from my DDs class, so she's 6/7 and one who's DD is 4) watch at least one HM movie. I was curious as to why they let their DDs watch it myself. Both of them have said that the movies are not nearly as bad as the show itself as far as being cheesy, over the top teenage angst. Granted they are still teenage situations, but they both said the movies were more about the music than anything. Seems like there are a lot of HM movies out there though, so I don't know if some of them are better than others. :shrug:

The whole HM thing is a tough issue for me, because while I don't want my DDs watching a lot of that type of stuff, I also don't want them to feel ostracized from their peers. That's why I opted to sit down and watch HM with my DD, so we could talk about the show and whether or not she liked it (which she didn't). I'd rather let her see what it is and allow the opportunity to explain why it isn't age appropriate for her vs. just slap the blinders on and feed her the line that it's too old for her. That's just what works for us though.

Fairy
09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, next time, I'd ask what the movie is before you RSVP. However, as the mother of a 5yo, I would never take children to a movie without a) disclosing the movie, and b) asking if that movie is acceptable for their child. I think the Freshbeat Band is a great show. Doesn't mean others agree with me, and I would not put that on during a playdate if the other parent disagreed. Why would I do that in a movie, then? For a 7yo?! To me, not doing these two things when I'm the host seems common courtesy.

nofeea
09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Funny thing is, I don't think I actually would have stopped her from going if I knew the movie. She's been dying to go to a movie party and I also don't want her to be totally left out of things that all the other kids are seeing and doing unless there is something really objectionable (not just questionable ;)) in it. I think I was just surprised that it the party choice-with the assumption being that all kids this age are already watching it and that all parents approve. It kind of went along with the party favor...a CD of the birthday girl's favorite songs ... a mix of of stuff off the radio that also had 'relationship content' that I would not usually let DD listen to...
I guess I just wanted a reality check. When DD tells me that she's the only one not allowed to watch I wanted to know if she's right!

maestramommy
09-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Well see, that's a little different. I don't think I'd stop my kid from seeing the movie if it was part of a party. Although I think the HM is not quite appropriate for that age group, it's probably more accurate to see it's not quite relevant. However, (just guessing since I don't think I've ever seen more than a couple of minutes) from what I've heard the material isn't offensive or anything like that. If DD came home and wanted to watch the show, I'd just tell her we don't have that channel, which we don't. :p

Elilly
09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Okay, I'll be the bad mom and "bite". DD watches HSM and HM. She is 6 and will be 7 next month. So, that means that DS watches it some times as well. He just turned 5. That said, it is an incredible sounding board and we watch it together. When I asked her if she liked Hanna Montana, she said, "I like her music but she doesn't make good choices".

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I've heard the movie really isn't that bad at all.

My ds isn't into but he is in 2nd grade and his peers have been into it for the past 2 years. I haven't seen it. But, one pretty conservative family I know lets her kids watch it and that speaks a lot to me.

I'd personally sit down and watch it either alone or with her and see what comes up. See if she gets what's going on. Maybe things that would be a concern just go right over her head.

If I had a girl in 2nd grade I wouldn't mind it.

Beth