PDA

View Full Version : Going to Picture People...

Melaine
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
For our first actual portraits (went before with huge family group). I am very apprehensive of how the girls will "pose" and smile on cue....but that's not my main issue.

They suggest that solids are better than patterns and I am really struggling with finding something that isn't really busy. Do most people take more than one outfit? Have you found that solids really are the best choice? I really want to do dresses but most of ours are very flowered or striped or polkadotted.

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I found that solids really do look best. Find a shirt that compliments them and go simple. It makes it so your dds are the focus of the pictures. Last year I had the boys' pictures done in 2 outfits- khakis and holiday sweaters and khakis and black shirts. I love how the black shirt ones turned out because it highlights their faces so well. That's what I am most interested in seeing.

We've gone to PP several times and I like how things are very minimal there- not a lot of fussy backgrounds and props.

Beth

Melaine
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks! I think I am going to have to go shopping tonight....seriously, is it weird that I have like no solid color clothes?

Melaine
09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Maybe I will run out and buy something cheap like this:
http://www.target.com/Toddler-Girls-Cherokee-Short-sleeve-Pleated/dp/B002B44VO4/ref=sc_qi_detaillink?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=1DB6ADCCS6M1SF8YTBQZ&pf_rd_p=436115101&pf_rd_i=B002B44VO4&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5101

Jen841
09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Simple is best! You want the focus on the faces, not the clothing.

Reyadawnbringer
09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I love that dress and think it would be adorable!

applebutter
09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I used to be a photographer, and worked for The Picture People actually! :) (back when they were Expressly Portraits).

Solids or simple patterns work best (stripes and polka dots can both work nicely, though avoid skinny stripes).

And don't worry too much about getting the kiddos to smile - your photographer is trained to do that. If your little ones are shy, or don't like strangers, let them know. If there is a favorite toy from home that might help, bring it and let your photographer use it to help illicit smiles. HTH!

brittone2
09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I totally prefer simpler clothes, usually solids. IMO it usually looks the most classic and I prefer the way pics come out that way.

fivi2
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
We have done Picture People with a white backgroud a few times now. Sometimes the girls do better than others as far as posing. (grandma likes to take all the grandkids).

Usually my nephews wear a solid, but the girls never have. BUT - they haven't worn much that is too too busy. For example a red sailor dress with a flower on it and a stripe by the collar thing. Or a green outfit with some polka dots and a big duck on it. The busiest was orange with a bunch of animals on it. (grandma picks out the outfits!). So the details weren't very small, if that makes sense.

I think the pictures turned out fine. I wouldn't do skinny stripes as pp mentioned, but we definitely haven't done only solids!

eta: you can change outfits, but we have never done more than one change. Usually I change them while my nephews are taking some solo pics. I definitely think bright colors are the way to go.

ciw
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Not that I'd ever discourage you from shopping ;) but I think some prints can work.

I usually prefer solid colors but I've had some great luck with patterns at Picture People. The last time I was there, DS wore red and white striped shortalls and they photographed him with some of their Radio Flyer props (pulling a wagon, riding the car, etc). The pictures turned out gorgeous! They have a very classic Americana look to them.

I would probably not go for huge floral prints (wouldn't bat an eye at using a smaller print). That said, the sibling group that had their pics taken before DS wore very LOUD prints and the pics turned out great. They let you bring a change of clothes and the little boy wore bright polos for both sets of pics (orange in one and yellow in the other and I think both were striped). The girl wore a pink and white floral dress in the one pic and white capris with a floral top in the other. Both of her outfits had HUGE flowers. Their pictures were much more modern looking than the ones I got of DS but they were really adorable!

I've also had DS photographed wearing pale blue a few times. Once, he wore a blue romper and another time we did a Mommy/son photo with both of us wearing light blue fleeces. Both of those photos have a softer look to them. The picture with the fleeces looks really cozy!

I don't normally care for props in pics but some of their's aren't too bad. They'll probably offer to use a wood stool, Radio Flyer toys, a red box (they do have a LOT of red props), a formal Victorian chair, or a teddy bear. They'll show you the pics in color and in black and white, sepia, etc. (and the color the girls wear won't matter in those pics). Don't worry if the girls don't smile; some of my favorite pics they took of DS don't have smiles but have impish looks or great eye contact or something about them that really shows his personality. Sometimes I like the ones without smiles because they look more natural and less posed, you know?

I'm going again on Fri. and haven't yet decided what to put DS in but will probably go with a bright color this time. I guess I should start looking through the closet...

I love pictures!