PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Matrix Kids bed system?

eliasmom
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I already posted this in Toddler Bedrooms, but since there is so little traffic over there, I'm going to try here.

We are thinking of the day bed with the curtain setup for now with the possibility of expanding it into a loft or bunks, etc., in the future. The Matrix website says user reviews are coming soon and I'm finding very few meaningful reviews online. I have seen some unsettling reviews that make me question the stability of the wood when the bed is lofted. Anyone have actual experience???

TIA!

jenmcadams
09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I looked into them about 18 months ago when we bought my DS's bed. We ended up deciding to go with Flexa. I thought Maxtrix was overpriced (even though they are hardwood as opposed to Pine) and we also got a great deal on a Flexa bed from a dealer who hadn't cleared out all of their inventory (Flexa was transitioning to only being sold direct either from their catalog/website or Flexa store). We eventually plan to go with bunk beds or a high left/desk combo and I liked Flexa's longevity in terms of being able to find additional pieces later. Just as an FYI, the dealer we dealt was The Beanbag Store in MN and they were pretty easy to work with...they also had some non-name brand loft beds that I thought looked cute too. Even with the shipping, the low price + no sales tax made it worth getting from them at the time.

Having said that, if I were looking for a white finish (as opposed to a wood finish), I probably would have been more likely to go with Maxtrix b/c they have a true white finish (as opposed to Flexa's white wash finish).

Edited to Add: We haven't had any problems with dings or finish issues with the pine for Flexa and it seems incredibly sturdy.

eliasmom
09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks! Is the Flexa bed lofted now or do you just plan to do it later?

kcimato
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I bought the Matrix system for my grandson just over a year ago. We have been very satisfied with it. No problems and everything is rock solid. It's really a beautiful set. I got him the low loft bed(he was only 3 at the time) with the double dresser that fits underneath and the bookcase at the end. He has a small room and this was perfect. Here is the site I got it from

http://www.sendmetomyroom.com/maxtrix.html

It too is in MN There was free shipping and no tax. Plus they had an extra 5% off at the time. I see they do now also. Both men who I dealt with when I called were very helpful. They will tell you about all their furniture is you don't want to go with this brand.

jenmcadams
09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks! Is the Flexa bed lofted now or do you just plan to do it later?

We did the low loft starting at 3...he calls it his fort bed :) He's a pretty cautious kid and we did the angled ladder which is pretty much like steps. I also did a Flexa mattress which is super low profile, so with the sides and the low mattress, we felt like it was safe (even though it's not recommended

eliasmom
09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I bought the Matrix system for my grandson just over a year ago. We have been very satisfied with it. No problems and everything is rock solid. It's really a beautiful set. I got him the low loft bed(he was only 3 at the time) with the double dresser that fits underneath and the bookcase at the end. He has a small room and this was perfect. Here is the site I got it from

http://www.sendmetomyroom.com/maxtrix.html

Thanks for the link and the info! Do you recall if you purchased one of the Matrix mattresses for him or another brand?

s7714
09-30-2009, 07:49 PM
My nephew, who just turned 3, has a lofted Flexa bed. It has a curtained area underneath and a slide coming down from the bed.

It seems extremely sturdy, and he hasn't had any issues with getting on or off (it does have a rail on the side, just like a upper bunk bed). Not that you were necessarily considering it, but I don't care for the slide because it's at a steep angle with low sides, so it makes it very easy for kids to end up head over heals coming down the thing or fall of the side (of the slide, not the bed).

blisstwins
09-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I have FLexa and would not buy them again. We have had a lot of problems and there is bad blood between dealers and the co and they almost did not back their warranty. FLEXAUSA is now owned by an investment group.

kcimato
09-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the link and the info! Do you recall if you purchased one of the Matrix mattresses for him or another brand?

Yes, we did purchase the mattress from their also. It actually turned out to be a tempuric type mattress. It also came with a cover which came in blue or green.