PDA

View Full Version : Easy access wipes...

MamaKath
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
So the cold and flu season has me wondering which bags have easy access wipes. I know that is a big sell on the Dadgear bags. Any others have this?

It just came to mind after talking to one parent about our local high school having over 300 students out for flu and an email from a parent asking if the children (not just his, but every child in the school; mandatory) could carry wipes to clean their hands in our school.

Meanwhile, I keep telling myself "I am staying well!"

vonfirmath
10-01-2009, 12:46 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by easy access.

In one diaper bag, the wipes were in the pocket with the changing pad, so very easy to get to.

In nother, they were in the main pocket, but right at the top. (Since they were needed every change, they seemed to migrate up there of their own)

It just depends on the bag.

AshleyAnn
10-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I have this (http://www.target.com/Skip-Swipe-Baby-Wipes-Case/dp/B001LF3YQK/ref=br_1_15?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=13779601&node=13779601&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Skip%20Swipe%20Baby%20Wipes%20Case) on my baby registry. Its called a swipe case and is supposed to give you the ablity to get a single wipe out easily. I like it because it clips to the outside the bag. I hate that I have to dig in my purse for my hand sanitizer every time I need it (can't find one of the clip on bottles now that I need one).

Does your school not allow instant hand sanitizer? I can see the wipes becoming a very messy situation in a high school (litter).

Piglet
10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't think wipes would help. For hand sanitizer to be effective it has to be over 60% alcohol (or another active ingredient has to be present in a fairly high concentration). Wipes are not antibacterial (as an aside my germaphobe tendencies go nuts when I see moms not wash their hands after changing their babies thinking the wipe is keeping their hands clean).

aajamu
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't think wipes would help. For hand sanitizer to be effective it has to be over 60% alcohol (or another active ingredient has to be present in a fairly high concentration). Wipes are not antibacterial (as an aside my germaphobe tendencies go nuts when I see moms not wash their hands after changing their babies thinking the wipe is keeping their hands clean).

Have to agree with this. Best solution is to wash hands when you can with warm water and soap, and use sanitizer when you are unable to wash hands. There are some sanitizer wipes on the market though, but due to alcohol content would not be appropriate for diaper changes.

I basically only use baby wipes 1)when changing diapers or 2)to clean dirt/snot/food off face & hands when at a public place *without* a bathroom (or clean bathroom). Baby wipes are great for getting stains off walls too (especially pencil), as I found out after DS wrote on Grandma's living room wall once.

Piglet
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Baby wipes are great for getting stains off walls too (especially pencil), as I found out after DS wrote on Grandma's living room wall once.

They are also exceptionally effective for cleaning spilled cooked couscous off hardwood floors... my mom discovered this one day. Don't ask me how she cameup with the idea!? Oh, and they are my go-to for cleaning facepaint off kids faces, and marker off DD's bellybutton, which she now thinks is an acceptable drawing surface!

MamaKath
10-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Thank you for posting this! We have Germ-x stuff all over the building. I have been wondering why they would need wipes too. I am glad to know that they are not antibacterial!

It is an elementary school, so the parents are trying to be proactive, knowing that most of the younger kids (N-3 at least) are still major nose pickers, etc. I don't think litter would be an issue!