PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED - Thanks, MIL...

BigDog
09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
for teaching DS how to say "shut up", and giving me ANOTHER reason to dislike you.

DH and I couldn't believe our ears tonight when 24 month old DS laughingly told our dog to shut up when he barked. We were horrified, to say the least. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where he would learn that (and in the right context, no doubt) and then realized it came from the MIL. The more that I think about it, I can recall her telling her own dog to "shut up" when it barked. She just watched DS for us on Monday, so I know that's where he must've heard it. And to make it worse, I can't have DH call her up and ream her for it because she just left for Italy for the next month and a half. Now I'm steaming!

Any tips on how to remove those words from DS' vocabulary??

UPDATE:
So here's the latest - The MIL called from Italy this morning and DH filled her in on DS' new vocabulary words and she responded "yes, I've heard him say that before and wondered where he learned it." WHAT??! So then DH tells her that he learned it from her, and she responds "No he didn't, I've never said that to him. I've said that to the dog, but not to him." REALLY, MIL?! Are you that dumb?!

This annoys me on so many levels:
1. He's said it before which we didn't know
2. She never brought it to our attention when she heard him say it before
3. She's a moron!

StantonHyde
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
1. Ignore it
2. When we say that, it hurts the doggie's feelings, say, Please be quiet, instead.

mytwosons
10-01-2009, 06:05 AM
1. Ignore it
2. When we say that, it hurts the doggie's feelings, say, Please be quiet, instead.

:yeahthat: And, just wait. You'll have the satisfaction (and hopefully make a point) when your DS parrots #2 back to your MIL!

saschalicks
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
oooh that would get me steaming. Shut up to me (and in our house) is like saying f$*k you. The boys know that is NEVER EVER to be used.

I say redirect him by saying that is not a nice thing to say.

Good luck!

niccig
10-01-2009, 04:18 PM
:yeahthat: And, just wait. You'll have the satisfaction (and hopefully make a point) when your DS parrots #2 back to your MIL!

Yes, that will happen. I taught DS how tight his car seat straps were to be and where the chest clip was to be for when MIL looked after him for a week at age 3. She commented on how safety conscious he is, as when she said it was fine, he told her it was too loose and he didn't want to get hurt.