PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing/sanitizer WDYD?

hillview
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Do you have your kids use hand sanitizer? Often or just in a pinch or not at all? Please help me if you have done any research why hand sanitizer is bad for kids. I am SO lazy about making my kids wash their hands and I either need to shape up or I need to be ok with hand sanitizer OR be ok with more colds etc.
TIA!
/hillary

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I haven't done any research on it, but doesn't it have something to do with the alcohol in it? I think there were warnings against them because kids were licking/eating the stuff and getting sick.

I use it all the time. CVS has a spray in a tube that looks like a pen. I keep a couple in my diaper bag and a couple in the car. At home we wash hands, and I do also keep Wet Ones in my car/diaper bag, but before DS gets in the car at school, I spray his hands with the sanitizer spray.

I am allergic to an ingredient in most hand soaps. I don't use it in public and I don't have my kids use it either. So, for me, it's either hand sanitizer/wipes or just water.

egoldber
10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
The only time I have ever used hand sanitizer was 1) when Amy was in the NICU and 2) when I was in East Africa and had to use the bathroom and there was no TP and no running water.

I do not have my kids use it because I think it is very harsh on the skin. In the winter Sarah gets cracked hands very easily and the hand sanitizer burns her like FIRE! They used to use it at her school after recess and before lunch instead of having the kids wash hands. They changed that policy this year to handwashing (for H1N1) and it made me very happy! But when they used it, I had to write a note asking them to let her wash hands instead because her hands were getting so damaged and it hurt her.

We hand wash less than I see people here say they do as well. I have them wash hands when we come in from outside playing, but that's really about it. (And after using the bathroom of course....)

Melaine
10-01-2009, 09:31 AM
When out and about I have been using it. Basically, we use it when hand washing isn't an option, so I figure it is better than nothing. Sometimes I feel walking out of the bathroom and using sanitizer is better than trying to wash both girls' hands and keep them from touching anything after which is next to impossible.
Honestly, now that we have the learning tower, hand washing at home is a breeze. The girls run to the LT when we come in the door and will stand there for several minutes washing their hands because it is fun. Seriously, for us the LT has been so worth it JUST for hand washing.

pinkmomagain
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
All 3 of my girls use it. I don't think I'd use it on a really young one, though who puts his/her fingers in the mouth frequently.

Melaine
10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh Beth I hadn't thought of the skin irritation issue. It definitely irritates my skin in the winter too so I bet it will be a problem for the girls now that it is getting cooler. We hadn't really started using it until this summer. I bet we will have to stop too.

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 09:37 AM
We hand wash less than I see people here say they do as well. I have them wash hands when we come in from outside playing, but that's really about it. (And after using the bathroom of course....)

I don't think I would use it nearly as much as I do if it wasn't for DS's food allergies. DH and I wash our hands all the time b/c we eat foods with allergies, but DS and DD don't. Only when they are visibly dirty or after the bathroom. When we're out, though, I have to scrub them down!!

doberbrat
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
we use sanitizer when there is no reasonable handwashing alternative. I think its great stuff if you cant use actual soap & water but for me, it doesnt replace handwashing.

but we're anal about handwashing.

perhaps a little too much - dd fell in the diningroom yesterday before dinner and came crying to me - I fell and my hands touched the ground - do I have to wash them again?

I felt a *little* guilty.

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh Beth I hadn't thought of the skin irritation issue. It definitely irritates my skin in the winter too so I bet it will be a problem for the girls now that it is getting cooler. We hadn't really started using it until this summer. I bet we will have to stop too.

If you have a CVS try the spray. I don't think it's as harsh because you don't glob it on (and it has aloe in it). It's a nice little mist. Might be worth it for the times you don't have another option.

lizzywednesday
10-01-2009, 10:06 AM
My husband is obsessive about hand sanitizer ... I use it only when I absolutely HAVE to (like where soap & water are unavailable) mostly because it burns my hands. Also, I have noticed, when I use it and don't remember to let it dry long enough, I get tummy trouble if I eat a snack or sandwich.

Also, I don't like the fact that most sanitizers use triclosan, which I feel is like over-using antibiotics and will set me up for developing an infection with a superbug. (I am more paranoid about mutant bacteria than I am about viruses. Go figure!)

I did find one at Target that used thyme oil instead of triclosan and I found it was less harsh on my skin. I may pick up another travel size for next weekend so I don't have to worry about the scented kinds from Avon!

hbridge
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
We use Antibacterial wipes and avoid hand sanitizer unless absolutely necessary (less than once a month). Keep in mind that with hand sanitizer you can only use it twice before you have to wash your hands or use wipes...

secchick
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
We use Antibacterial wipes and avoid hand sanitizer unless absolutely necessary (less than once a month). Keep in mind that with hand sanitizer you can only use it twice before you have to wash your hands or use wipes...

We keep the big canisters of the wipes in the car and I keep a few individually wrapped ones in my purse and diaper bag. I have hand sanitizer, but we strongly prefer to soap up. It's better for your skin and washes away more bacteria. I use the wipes after I pump gas and things like that and on the kids if we are eating on the go or are leaving the playground and those sorts of occasions where soap and water aren't handy.

bnme
10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
We don't use antibacterial hand sanitizer. Just Purell. The kids may use both in school depending on what they have. We wash hands after using the bathroom and upon entering the house. Well, I wash mine a lot more because I am a bit of a germaphobe (sp?). I also keep Purell in the car ans we will use it after the library or if I pick them up from school on the way to somewhere else, etc.

I don't think there is a probem with the alcohol based ones unless it is ingested in large quantities or you find them harsh on your skin.

brittone2
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
We avoid the ones with Triclosan, etc. but use the alcohol based ones (I keep it in my diaper bag when we are out and about so I am not worried they'll drink it at ages 2.5 and 5.5).

I don't love using it, but this time of the year in particular we use it when out and about and handwashing isn't easily accessible.

I learned about Cleanwell here. http://www.cleanwelltoday.com/ I just bought some and will switch over as it gets colder out (dry hands plus hand sanitizer that is alcohol based is not fun around here). I don't really have too much trouble w/ the alcohol-based ones until it gets really cold out and my hands get drier.

wencit
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I wasn't really obsessive about hand sanitizer until this whole H1N1 thing came about this spring. Now if we can't easily get to a restroom, I make DS1 use the hand sanitizer before we eat, after leaving Barnes & Noble, after getting out of preschool, that sort of thing. In fact, DH, who is not as obsessive about cleaning his hands as I am, just came down with a cold, so I wonder if it's coincidence that DS1 and I are not sick yet, or if it's because I'm more strict about cleaning our hands.

lizzywednesday
10-01-2009, 12:09 PM

I learned about Cleanwell here. http://www.cleanwelltoday.com/ I just bought some and will switch over as it gets colder out (dry hands plus hand sanitizer that is alcohol based is not fun around here). I don't really have too much trouble w/ the alcohol-based ones until it gets really cold out and my hands get drier.

That's the one I got at Target.

The active ingredient is thyme oil, which is naturally antimicrobial. Watch out for it if you have an allergy to thyme, though.

fauve01
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Keep in mind that with hand sanitizer you can only use it twice before you have to wash your hands or use wipes...

Can you explain this info of only using twice? i have never heard this before.

thanks.

mecawa
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I haven't done any research on it but we use hand sanitizer. I have her wash her hands with soap and water after using the bathroom, use hand sanitizer when she gets in the car after school (I keep it in the cup holder), she also uses it when were out and about (I keep it in the stroller and my purse). When she has a cold (like right now) she needs to use it before touching her sister (baby) and before touching her sisters toys.

MmeSunny
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
My husband is obsessive about hand sanitizer ... I use it only when I absolutely HAVE to (like where soap & water are unavailable) mostly because it burns my hands. Also, I have noticed, when I use it and don't remember to let it dry long enough, I get tummy trouble if I eat a snack or sandwich.

Also, I don't like the fact that most sanitizers use triclosan, which I feel is like over-using antibiotics and will set me up for developing an infection with a superbug. (I am more paranoid about mutant bacteria than I am about viruses. Go figure!)

I did find one at Target that used thyme oil instead of triclosan and I found it was less harsh on my skin. I may pick up another travel size for next weekend so I don't have to worry about the scented kinds from Avon!

I think the one from Target is called Clean Well. We have that. Love it. (I really love the smell of thyme!) It's not harsh at all.

AnnieW625
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I use it at my desk on a daily basis, and then Elisa uses it when she can't wash her hands. I much prefer having her wash her hands though. Purel doesn't have triclosan, but all of the ones from Bath and Body Works do.

vonfirmath
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I wasn't really obsessive about hand sanitizer until this whole H1N1 thing came about this spring. Now if we can't easily get to a restroom, I make DS1 use the hand sanitizer before we eat, after leaving Barnes & Noble, after getting out of preschool, that sort of thing. In fact, DH, who is not as obsessive about cleaning his hands as I am, just came down with a cold, so I wonder if it's coincidence that DS1 and I are not sick yet, or if it's because I'm more strict about cleaning our hands.

Would you even notice if it was the other way around? I'd guess on coincidence.

We don't change our hand-washing routines, etc. when someone in the family is sick. and sometimes all of us get it and sometimes we don't. And when only some get it, its not even consistent who gets it.

GaPeach_in_Ca
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think I would use it nearly as much as I do if it wasn't for DS's food allergies. DH and I wash our hands all the time b/c we eat foods with allergies, but DS and DD don't. Only when they are visibly dirty or after the bathroom. When we're out, though, I have to scrub them down!!

Does hand sanitizer remove allergens? I wouldn't have thought so. I thought it kills germs by bursting the cells. What affect would it have on, say, peanut molecules?

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Hardly use it at all.

My friend and her kids use the stuff all the time- before they play, after they play, before they eat...and many more times during the day. We wash hands when we can. Her kids get sick far more often than mine.

Beth

GaPeach_in_Ca
10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
We don't use it at all and our family is very rarely sick. My younger son hasn't missed a single day of daycare due to illness (he's 17 months).

If we had a tendancy to illness, we may use it more often.

My older son is using it at school now.

catpagmo
10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I use it (on myself, and DD) after the grocery store, and the library, and then wash hands when we get home. I try not to over-use it, because it is so drying. I am pretty anal about hand washing, though.

calv
10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
where/what isle is the cleanwell located in target? i saw it ONCE and it was when it was on clearance.

Piglet
10-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I use it in a pinch outside of the house, and never ever in the house. I keep one in my van and I goop the kids after we have been out and about. I also keep one on my desk at work and goop when I am about to eat. There is hand sanitizer all around my building here at work, so I do goop after lunch and when I come in for the day in case I touched stuff on the commute - that way I don't bring germs to my desk. I also Lysol wipe my desk/phone/keyboard/mouse/etc. once a month at least. At home, the kids are expected to wash their hands when they come in from outside, use the bathroom and/or before meals. That is it. I would never dream of using hand sanitzer in the house, though I had a friend (a doctor married to a doctor) that insisted on walkign around gooping the kids hands before lunch. I was not happy with that - the kids need to learn to wash with soap and water and wash well! They also need to understand that the hand sanitizer is not going to remove dirt, just germs. I think the parents got into the habit from work, but I still sent my kids off to the sink!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Can you explain this info of only using twice? i have never heard this before.

thanks.

Because it will build up a residue that attracts germs.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
where/what isle is the cleanwell located in target? i saw it ONCE and it was when it was on clearance.

Our Target doesn't carry it anymore...

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Does hand sanitizer remove allergens? I wouldn't have thought so. I thought it kills germs by bursting the cells. What affect would it have on, say, peanut molecules?

Actually, I don't know the answer. :bag!

We will use the Wet Ones to wipe down a seat and table at a restaurant. If we are out and eat something, or the kids are playing somewhere, I will wipe hands with a baby wipe or Wet One and then use Purell. I have no idea if it actually kills anything allergen related, but the allergist said it was good to do (as opposed to doing nothing) so that's the habit I've gotten into.

DS doesn't have a peanut allergy, but (knock on wood) he hasn't had any issues in restaurants since we started doing this.

maestramommy
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I use Hand sanitizer only when we're out and about and there isn't any sink & soap nearby. I use it on the girls too, but sometimes I use wipes, like before they eat.

I probably do the handwashing even less than Beth. I myself am handwashing all.the.time because of diaper changes, but for the girls sometimes I don't bother before eating if we haven't actually been out of the house. :bag

Ceepa
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I bought Cleanwell at Target and couldn't use it. The smell was so strong and it was the type of scent that stayed on my skin and made me feel sick.

We use the clear Purell when we're out.

slworld
10-01-2009, 06:39 PM
We also use the hand sanitizer only when out & about (not very convenient to wash a 14month old's hands in a public restroom). I don't think DS does any handwashing at daycare but we wash hands as soon we come home from outside and thats about it for DS.

s7714
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, we use it. I prefer to wash with soap and water, but if that's not convenient, I definitely use the hand sanitizer.

My DDs teacher (1st grade) squirts some in each kid's hand as they walk out the door for snack and lunch. The school is trying to implement a clean hands policy this year with all the H1N1 stuff going on, but it's just too hard to get 24 kid's hands washed in one classroom sink in a short period of time. (Our preschool OTOH really works with the kids on the how and when to wash their hands, but they have more time to do that sort of thing!)

Gena
10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
We use hand sanitizer (Purell) a lot when we are out and about. DS is terrified of the electric hand dryers that are in many of the public bathroomsin our area, so we will Purell there instead. I also use it to clean his hands at the park before we have snacks, when he has a nosebleed in the car (and gets blood all over his hands), and other times when he needs a quick clean up.

alirebco
10-01-2009, 08:02 PM
We mostly hand wash but if we're out someplace and don't have access to a sink and soap, we'll use the Clean Well spray. Normally we use it in a pinch.

wellyes
10-01-2009, 08:41 PM
We only use it at the hospital, which we go to far too often to visit "grampy" (my FIL). I like to give DD the idea that she MUST wash her hands with soap and water regularly, no "cheating". Plus I just don't like keeping hand sanitizer around the house or in my purse / diaper bag because it's essentially poison.

alexsmommy
10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Only in a really bad situation. I have eczema on my hands and it absolutely kills them. Both DSs have eczema/dry skin as well. Usually we handwash or use Wet Ones to wipe off. I do keep some in the car for emergencies (like when I saw one of DS1's friends sneeze into his hand and then grab DS's hand).
DS's gymnastics class uses it and that 1x a week is still very drying for him. After class I have him wash his hands and put thick lotion on.
I've always tried to encourage handwashing when we come in the house in flu season, but now I am being much more vigalent and really calling the kids on putting their hands in their mouths or rubbing their eyes.