PDA

View Full Version : Radian XTSL or Britax Advocate CS???

drako
10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know how the new Baby Bargains Book rates these two seats? I have last years so I don't have up to date info. I need to get a convertible seat for our Honda Odyssey. I think I have it narrowed down to the Radian XTSL and the Britax Advocate CS. I just can't decide. I like the fact that the Britax is made in the USA. Does anyone know where Radians are made? Also, I only have one child and may have another, so space saving isn't high on the list right now. The seat would be in the middle row which are bucket seats anyway.

I know this has been discussed and I have read other thread regarding these seats. I just can't decide which one. Any personal experience and input would be greatly appreciated!

jjordan
10-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Radians are made in China, unfortunately.

Personally I would skip the Advocate as I don't see the extra features worth it over the Boulevard.

And personally I would go for a Radian XTSL over a Boulevard in most cases, because the XTSL will RF to 45# (boulevard RF to 35#), and RF is much safer than FF.

The plusses of a Britax seat over a Radian are (1) made in the US, (2) very easy installations with LATCH or seatbelt, and (3) take up less front-to-back space. Whereas the Radians are made in China, can be difficult to install with a seatbelt, and take up lots of front-to-back space. (In addition the Advocate also has the added feature of the side impact cushioning.)

On the other hand, the plusses of a Radian over a Britax are (1) extra RF capacity, (2) last longer forward facing (slightly higher harness height), and (3) take up less side-to-side space.

You just have to decide which advantages are more important to you. I'm guessing the seatbelt issues with a Radian won't really affect you (assuming you have LATCH), and neither will the front-to-back space issue since you have a minivan. But the other pros/cons might tip the balance one way or another.

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Personally I would skip the Advocate as I don't see the extra features worth it over the Boulevard.

And personally I would go for a Radian XTSL over a Boulevard in most cases, because the XTSL will RF to 45# (boulevard RF to 35#), and RF is much safer than FF. :yeahthat: I have a Boulevard and love it. I am still using that for DS2. However, I ordered a Radian XT SL for DS1 due to its 45 pound rear facing capacity. DS1 will use that until he is ready to forward face and then I will pass on the Radian to DS2 and get rid of the Boulevard. The Advocate is a huge monstrosity. My neighbor has it and it occupies half her back seat.

Joolsplus2
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Radians do fit in Odysseys pretty easily, and a plus to them is that they are lower and it's easier to load the child into the seat, compared to the BV is up on a base and there's a lot of lifting kids up and over to get them into the seat. Overall I've loved both my Britax and my Radian in my Ody, but lean toward the RN now because of the extra RF weight limit and better leg support FF (deeper seat for longer thighs compared to the Britax).

:)