PDA

View Full Version : Fall cleaning?

ourbabygirl
10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I know that spring cleaning is pretty common, but I kind of missed that and now with the weather getting cold & dreary I'm switching out the summer for fall/ winter wardrobe. I'll be bringing a bunch of stuff to Goodwill and hope to keep getting rid of what we no longer need/use.

Other than de-cluttering, what other fall-cleaning stuff do you do? I figure I'd better pace myself :)!

trales
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I change all the vent filters and furnace filter and clean all the screens. I take down the curtains and wash them.

DH has really bad dust mite allergies, so I try to prepare for the heat being on and less fresh air in the house by getting rid of as much dust as possible and making sure the filters are all new.

I also wash the windows, I hate being cooped inside all winter and looking through dingy windows. I need as much light as possible.

lizzywednesday
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I like to make sure I've tackled the dust that collects on my dresser, bedframe, bedside tables, windowsills and blinds ... I've found it staves off early sinus troubles.

Also, I try to make sure the bathrooms are cleaned thoroughly from mirrors/countertops to the floors. This includes a 3-step floor cleaning process and laundering the bathmats in hot water. I am no germaphobe, but I like to static-dust mop the floor to pick up hair and some of the looser gunk, then vacuum to pick up anything the static-duster missed and then wet-mop with Lysol 3-in-1 cleaner. If I'm feeling REALLY paranoid, I'll get the old-fashioned Lysol Concentrate in the dark brown bottle because it WORKS.

When I did a big-cleaning in the spring, I also mopped our wood floors with Murphy's Oil ... after static-dusting and vacuuming. (I need to do that again. Fortunately, Murphy's Oil doesn't have any nasty fumes and, as a bonus, the scent doesn't bother me.)

This year, I'd like to also add re-organizing our 3rd floor storage to the list. Baby is due in March, but we're apparently getting the crib THIS WEEKEND (!) from BIL & SIL. (I am SO not ready for this!)

brittone2
10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Fall usually brings lots of toy purging around here. Usually October/November. DD has a December bday, then there is Christmas, and DS's bday is a few weeks after Christmas. So every year I really, really like decluttering, purging, and putting a LOT of toys up in the attic to rotate out well before the holidays come.

DH gets stuck doing lots of gutter cleaning-we have so many enormous trees that he usually has to do it twice in the fall.

We're working on some home projects so I'm not sure how much fall cleaning we'll actually do. We are doing some small fixes around here in case we end up putting our house on the market once DH figures out where he's getting a job.

Naranjadia
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I change all the vent filters and furnace filter and clean all the screens.

Thank you for the reminder!

lizzywednesday
10-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I change all the vent filters and furnace filter and clean all the screens. I take down the curtains and wash them.

I also wash the windows, I hate being cooped inside all winter and looking through dingy windows. I need as much light as possible.

Good reminders ... I'll have to take down my drapes to launder them, too. (Which means I will have to break out my iron as well.)

Might as well hem the drapes in the bedroom, too.