PDA

View Full Version : First H1N1 candidates in my county- healthy kids 5-9yo

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I just heard this on the news today that our county has decided that the 1st people eligible for the H1N1 vaccine will be healthy school aged kids. They are doing that b/c they say most of the cases (70%) are under 24yo. Also, because under 10s need 2 doses they want to get the ball rolling.

Just thought that was interesting. I know dh read a few years back that in Japan they were focusing flu vaccine efforts on school kids and had great success.

Beth

elliput
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I found out last week that my county will be offering free H1N1 vaccinations to all students in the county.

mecawa
10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Our state just announced today they are releasing it on the 12th and healthcare workers and healthy children will be the first on the list. I just don't understand the healthy children part, I told DH did he mean to say unhealthy children, because wouldn't you vax, them first(after healthcare workers).

egoldber
10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Schools and school age kids are a primary vector. Get them vaccinated and you can stem a lot of the others cases: bringing it home to parents, younger siblings, etc.

Also, because the mist will be the first available vax, that cannot be given to kids who are immunocompromised, have asthma, etc.