PDA

View Full Version : Website for reviewing movie content before viewing?

elektra
10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I thought Lilo and Stitch would be a cute Hawaiian movie for DD to watch while we were in Hawaii. But there is way more violence and bratty behavior than I would have guessed.
How do you know what is really in a movie? The rating (G, PG) doesn't tell much.
DH is notorious for just bringing movies home for DD too, regardless of their content. In his defense he thinks it will be fun for DD, and she does enjoy the movies. But this is the same man who accompanied his brother and nephew to see Gladiator in the theater when DN was only 3 years old! So his gauge about what's appropriate is definitely skewed.
We also saw Madagascar together and I don't like how the grandma beats the crap out of the lion, among other things.

Or am I just an idiot for letting DD watch any movies at all???

egoldber
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM
I love Lilo&Stitch. It's probably my favorite Disney movie. :)

But I think this has what you want....

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

elektra
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
It's interesting how they do the ratings though. I looked up a few of the movies that DD has watched lately and for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they list that all the grandparents are in the bed together under the "sex/nudity" section. :hysterical:

It's the recaps that I was looking for vs. just the numerical ratings.

ETA:
And maybe I am just overreacting and all movies (even kid ones) have some level of violence. My dad hates any kind of violence portrayed in movies or tv and he thinks every movie that DD watches is too violent or scary. Hence my question about letting DD watch movies in general as opposed to just Elmo or Caillou DVD's or something.

egoldber
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
All kid movies do have some level of angst. Otherwise there really wouldn't be a story. I definitely think that some kids are more sensitive than others and some movies that we show to young kids are better left for older kids.

Interestingly, I don't even remember any violence in L&S. I just remember the theme of healing loss and making a family out of love rather than just blood. :)

Piglet
10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
All kid movies do have some level of angst. Otherwise there really wouldn't be a story. I definitely think that some kids are more sensitive than others and some movies that we show to young kids are better left for older kids.

As the mom of a kid that ran out of Curious George, I totally agree! My DS1 is a very sensitive kid and a worrier, so he doesn't do well with that kind of movie build-up. He has been completetely fine with the older live-action kids movies from the 60's (e.g. - Mary Poppins, etc.), but has not done well with cartoon movies for a long time. When he was too young to get the angst he loved cartoons (Finding Nemo) and then he got around 4-5 and it was too emotionally intense for him. He is still better with Star Wars than with Monsters vs. Aliens.