PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot Dilemma (out of baby vax)

spanannie
10-01-2009, 02:17 PM
My pedi office just called. I am really really upset about this. They aren't even sure they will have enough seasonal flu vax for my 2 older kids tomorrow, but they are definitely out of the preservative-free vax given to under 3. I had an appt. last week, but had to cancel because of soccer. They had the vax then, but told me nothing about possibly having a shortage when I rescheduled. I had no idea! I would have brought the baby in by herself instead of waiting for an appt when I could bring all 3 kids. Urgh!

Anyway, they are counting doses for tomorrow and want to know if I want to get the baby the regular flu shot (like the older kids) which does have the trace mercury. I had no idea what to say. Is it safe? Should I skip it? If the older kids + me and DH have the vax isn't baby relatively protected? She doesn't go to any sort of day care or nursery. I have to tell them asap, so, hopefully, you all will have some thoughts on this. I'm just really not sure what to do!

Thanks!

brittone2
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
There have been studies out that have caused some to question the efficacy of seasonal flu vax in children under 2 years of age. For example, a literature review in the Cochrane Database:
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004879.html

spanannie
10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
There have been studies out that have caused some to question the efficacy of seasonal flu vax in children under 2 years of age. For example, a literature review in the Cochrane Database:
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004879.html

Thanks! I had no idea about that.

This article also says that the nasal is much more effective than the shot. I don't think they like to give the Flu Mist to the older kids, though, with a baby at home because the live virus sheds. At least that's what they told me last year. I'm so glad she's still nursing. Hopefully that will help, too.

slworld
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
This link below has info on both the H1N1 & Seasonal Flu vaccines (towards the bottom)

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/archives/2009_09_01_archive.asp

This is what Dr.Sears says about the preservatives (just some info that may help with your decision):

"WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRACE AND FULL-DOSE MERCURY?

In trace mercury vaccines, mercury is added to the manufacturing process as a preservative, but is then filtered out at the end before being put into single-dose syringes or vials. A full preservative isn’t needed because this vial or syringe is only opened and used once, then discarded. The amount of mercury in vaccines that are labeled “trace” is less than 1 microgram. I believe that this amount is completely harmless (as opposed to the full dose).

In full-dose mercury vaccines, the mercury is not filtered out. The preservative is needed for these large 10-dose vials because many doses are drawn out, and the solution needs to stay sterile during that process. The amount of thimerosal in these large vials is 25 micrograms per dose (any infants through age 3 getting a Fluzone shot from the multi-dose vial with mercury would only be getting a half dose, so each shot would be 12.5 micrograms).

INFANTS AND PREGNANT WOMEN – JUST SAY NO TO MERCURY

The debate over whether or not mercury in the flu shot is enough to cause harm continues to rage on, with no clear resolution yet. I believe it is prudent in the mean time to avoid giving any full-dose mercury shots to children under 3 and to pregnant women. What should you do if all you can find is a full-dose version? Just say no, and tell your doctor why. Maybe if enough patients do this, doctors will order and demand more of the mercury-free version for next year. For kids 2 years and older, get the nasal spray instead (this can’t be given to pregnant women)."

gordo
10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
CVS has mercury free flu shots. I just took my DC there last week.

slworld
10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Walgreens also has flu clinics .. looks like the Thimerosal-free shots are $29.99

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/flu/flu_shots_faq.jsp

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I would get the Thimerosal free vac.

spanannie
10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
CVS has mercury free flu shots. I just took my DC there last week.

I called and they do have the preservative free, but the child has to be 18 mos old. DD is 15 mos. :-(

spanannie
10-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Walgreens also has flu clinics .. looks like the Thimerosal-free shots are $29.99

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/flu/flu_shots_faq.jsp

I called Walgreens and they only vax ages 9+.

AnnieW625
10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Call your OB and see if they can give the baby the preservative free one that they'd give to pregnant moms.

slworld
10-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Another option may be to contact your physician (if differnt from your baby's) and see if they have the thimerosal free shots.

arivecchi
10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Also, can your ped order more?

baileygirl
10-01-2009, 05:38 PM
We have a similar situation, DS2 (7mos) had shot #1 first week of Sept, so we need the second dose still...he was supposed to get it today, but his dr is also out. We have Cigna who said that we could get him the shot thru one of their flu clinics.....

ETA: Our ped expects more at the end of the month.

hollybloom24
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
American Academy of Pediatrics Influenze recommendations 2009-2010:

http://www.cispimmunize.org/ill/Flu/Influenza%20Recommendations.pdf

spanannie
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Also, can your ped order more?

They say they have more on order but have no idea if/when they will be getting it. I find it odd that CVS is so well stocked in p-free vaxes and the Pedis are having such a hard time getting them.

I have an appt for the bigger kids to get vaxed at the Pedi tomorrow (with the Fluzone multidose vial, so it is not p-free). I'm going to cancel because I can take the older 2 to CVS and get p-free vaxes. They have plenty in my area. I'll wait on the baby until either a) the Pedi gets more p-free or b) she's 18 mos and can get it at CVS.

I wish I felt more sure of Flu Mist . . . oh, how DD1 would LOVE to not have a shot!

DrSally
10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Personally, I would find another place to get the mercury free shot. We got it at CVS last year. Or, as pp suggested, your PCP.