PDA

View Full Version : Update in #10: Anyone have Mason Pearson hair brushes for their kids/themselves?

AnnieW625
10-01-2009, 02:50 PM
DD has been complaining that her cheapo mixed boar/nylon brush I got from Sally's is hurting her. So I started thinking I should get her something else and thought about a Mason Pearson one. DD has fine hair (as you can see in the picture next to my name), but she has a lot of hair and it often gets tangled and brushing her hair, which is now past her shoulders so brushing is now becoming a challenge. I was thinking of the child or the junior size one, but am not sure if the boar or the mixed bristle might work better. I did find some Ball Beauty's website for a good price, what do you all think?
Sally Beauty Supply,
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cushion-Brush/SBS-217508,default,pd.html

Mason Pearson, http://www.ballbeauty.com/mpdescri.htm#Small (scroll down or up for more options)

Laurel
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I was just about to give in and get a Mason Pearson, for me/DD when I read a review in some magazine (Allure, I think) that said this brush was just as nice, similar bristles, etc.

http://www.target.com/Kashuk-Tools-Bristle-Hair-Brush/dp/B000P4CAEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&searchView=grid5&pf_rd_r=0H5HZQ0EXYP4C7KZV8WV&node=1038576&pf_rd_s=center-3&field_browse=1038576&searchSize=30&pf_rd_t=301&field_availability=-2&id=Kashuk%20Tools%20Bristle%20Hair%20Brush&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Cta rget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchKeywords=sonia%20hairbrush&pf_rd_p=490276211&searchNodeID=1038576&pf_rd_i=0&field_launch-date=-1y&searchRank=relevancerank&searchPage=1&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&field_keywords=sonia%20hairbrush

I have been so happy with these, bought one for me, one for DD. You might want to try before spending the big bucks (although I know the MPs last a lifetime).

Tenasparkl
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I have both the target brush posted above and a few Mason Pearson brushes and there's no contest. The MP brushes are fantastic. A small one would be great for a kid with easily tangled hair. My one year old loves to steal my brush and try to brush her hair.

I found great prices on amazon for MP brushes. You just have to look around a little bit.

Sillygirl
10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I would try three or four other cheapos before I dropped $200 on a brush.

AnnieW625
10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks, the brush I am looking at for DD is $69 for the child size, which honestly I don't think is too out of the ball park esp. if it's going to last years and eventually become a purse/backpack brush for her. The only other true boar bristle brush I have tried is the Fuller Brush Professional, which is only $20, but I had it as a kid and I didn't like it much at all; it's just too dense. It could've just been my hair (it's really thick), but I honestly think that DD would benefit more from a more round and what looks to be less dense style brush.
http://www.fuller.com/products_detail.asp?cat=1&subcat=8&id=515

catpagmo
10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I have a MP brush, and it's really nice. It feels good on my scalp, too. It's not spikey or sharp or pokey. DD likes to use it as well. I say go for it. She'll have it for a very long time. You can't go wrong with one of these.

wellyes
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I have a Mason Pearson and it is the silliest purchase of my life. I regret spending the $$. Having said that, your daughter may love it and they certainly are well-made.

Naranjadia
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
My sister gave me a MP brush for the twins first birthday, because we grew up sharing one. We have the child size. My daughter has very long (esp. for 2.5yr), curly, thick but fine hair. It works great. It's not a magic wand on tangles, but it is definitely gentler than our other brushes. She tolerates it well and my son loves it.

saschalicks
10-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I own one and there's nothing like it. My parents actually got for me for my birthday b/c I told my mom I wanted one. My parents went to Ball Beauty (it's in LA, CA) and when my mom saw the brush was cheaper on line then in the store she told them and they gave her the on-line price.

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I gave in and ordered the Mason Pearson pocket sized mixed bristle brush for DD and we've been very happy with it. My daughter previously hated having her hair brushed and now she has even started doing it on her own. It's soo cute. Still wish I wouldn't have had to spend $64 on a hairbrush, but it's been worth it and so glad I did. I ordered it from Tressence.com to avoid having to pay sales tax of almost 10% and it took about a week to get to me with USPS shipping.

kozachka
10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Annie, how do you like the size? I would love to get a Mason Pearson mixed brush for myself but can't decide whether I want Pocket or Handy. Would you happen to know if any of the B&M stores carry them? I am kind of reprehensive to spend this kind of money on a brush sight unseen.

AnnieW625
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
The pocket is really small and unless you are a child it might be a little small. It's a nice purse size brush though. I have a little longer than chin length thick hair and I think if I wanted to use the brush more and have thick hair I'd get the next bigger size which I think is the handy.

You are back in the bay area right? Neiman Marcus keeps them online as does Saks, but I don't know if they have them in the stores themselves. Also when I lived in Davis this smallish beauty store chain called Pure Beauty had them. I think they had some stores in the bay area too, but I can't remember where.

kozachka
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I have mostly shoulder length thicker hair, which is why I am looking at bristle and nylon brushes. And, yeah, Handy is the next size up from Pocket for Mason Pearson brushes. Thanks for pointing out the fact that Neiman Marcus and Saks carry these online. I'll try to remember to check them out in store next I venture out to San Francisco or Stanford mall. I even have a NM gift card that would cover most of the cost of the brush. Although my cost if buy from Tresses would be quite a bit lower given the lower price and no sale tax. Decisions, decisions...

michellerw
10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I grew up using the M-P brushes on my super, super fine hair (and sadly lost the one my mom bought me when I was in college and then my olllllld one fell apart). There is nothing like them. I've used the boar bristle ones made in germany and a lot of others and frankly the M-P wins out.

But now that I'm paying I don't use M-P anymore.

baymom
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
My sister gave me a MP brush for the twins first birthday, because we grew up sharing one. We have the child size. My daughter has very long (esp. for 2.5yr), curly, thick but fine hair. It works great. It's not a magic wand on tangles, but it is definitely gentler than our other brushes. She tolerates it well and my son loves it.

My dd has curly hair as well, and I very rarely brush it for fear of creating frizz--I use a hair pick. Now you have got me curious about trying a MP on her hair...does it make it frizzy? Do you only use it on dry hair?

Naranjadia
10-24-2009, 12:03 AM
My dd has curly hair as well, and I very rarely brush it for fear of creating frizz--I use a hair pick. Now you have got me curious about trying a MP on her hair...does it make it frizzy? Do you only use it on dry hair?

We actually only use it on her dry hair. I've actually never tried combing her hair wet. I do put in a little leave-in conditioner and then just brush it when it's dry.