PDA

View Full Version : Prefitted users...anyone around?

brittone2
10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I just scored a slot for prefitted conversion over at Tinkle Traps. But I have no idea what I want!

I like prefolds on young babies (mixed w/ fitteds) but have never used or seen a prefitted IRL.

for there to be "wings"...do I need to size up at all? Is it worth it to get GMD orange stitched prefolds made into a prefitted or should I send her mostly my yellows or reds? I also have a bunch of toddler prefolds that I can have her do whatever with.

Turned or serged? I'm also torn on whether I want closures or just snappi in place (more flexibility?).

I feel like a newbie because I don't know what the heck I want.

eta: just read on DS that the GMD prefolds don't make great prefitteds. Maybe I'll be sending in my (seldom used) toddler prefolds to be cut down and turned into prefitteds?

american_mama
10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
You know, todzwife on BBB does Piggy Prefitteds, which are or used to be quite popular. I'm sure you could PM her and ask all kinds of questions. I believe I have one of hers, bought secondhand. It's the only prefitted I've seen.

Don't turn orange GMDs into prefitteds. They aren't wide enough to fit for long that way or snappi'd and you'll have wasted a lot of money. They are worth it as prefolds because they fit great from birth, which is hard to find in a diaper, and then work great as trifolds for months after, but you'd eliminate that long-term benefit if you converted them to prefitteds.

>> for there to be "wings"...do I need to size up at all?
Umm, I don't think so. Wings are the waist tabs, right? On my prefitted, the wings are quite long, disproportionately so. It always bugged me and I think reduced the functionality in a way I can't remember... maybe I disliked have the waist tabs overlap? Or maybe the overlapped so much that they'd practically touch the opposite hip on baby, making it hard to get the waist the appropriate tightness? I think that was it.

>> Turned or serged? I'm also torn on whether I want closures or just snappi in place (more flexibility?).
I have serged and no closures. Would turned be a bit bulky? Not sure how that's done. Turned is a nice clean look, more uncommon. If you don't mind using or looking at a snappi, I think that would be a bit less bulky then closures and maybe more forgiving of an umbilical cord stump, not that the stump lasts too long.

>> Maybe I'll be sending in my (seldom used) toddler prefolds to be cut down and turned into prefitteds?
Sorry, I get the different sizes of prefolds confused and don't know what size toddler's are. If they are what I think they are - what I have, in fact, and rarely use - I think that would be a big diaper that probably wouldn't be used for a long time, right?

brittone2
10-02-2009, 08:04 PM
THat helped a lot! I emailed Tammy from TT and she's been really helpful so far. I am starting to at least get some of this figured out. She said the green stitched infant prefolds make good dipes for 8-13lb newborns. If I want prefitteds from my newly ordered GMDs reds or yellows would work best. She can work with my premiums too. So now I have to decide how many to convert, what sizes, and then turned/serged and whether I want them topped with anything. But I'm getting there.

Thanks for the input!