PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot(s) and egg allergy advice needed

Maxlee
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
My nephew is 14 months old and appears to have a bunch of food allergies. He breaks out in hives fairly frequently. He has not been tested by my sister suspects an egg allergy. Her Pediatrician seems pretty laid back about the allergies in general and said that he can get the flu shot as long as she gives him a dose of benadryl before the shot. Thankfully, I don't have any experience with food allergies but I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable with the above advice. I don't want to freak my sister out unnecessarily so I thought someone might know if this is a good idea. Thanks in advance!

I was also wondering when most kids see an allergist for food allergies? He has had one serious reaction (to sesame seeds) and i think he was treated by his ped and she prescribed an epi pen in case its necessary in the future.

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Among his many food allergies, DS is allergic to eggs. The "normal" response to an egg allergy is vomiting and the "normal" response to a dairy allergy is a rash (according to our ped allergist).

Our current ped will not give DS his flu shot- she won't even entertain the idea. He did have one two years ago, in the ped allergist's office. He had the shot and then we had to wait for a half hour to make sure he was fine. Thankfully he was.

If I were her, I'd call a ped allergist and get in for testing. If he is breaking out in hives then he has had the exposure to whatever the allergen is and should test positive in a scratch test. At that point she would know if it's egg or not and then they could discuss whether he can have the flu shot. JMO!

Good luck to her- FAs stink!

Maxlee
10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Among his many food allergies, DS is allergic to eggs. The "normal" response to an egg allergy is vomiting and the "normal" response to a dairy allergy is a rash (according to our ped allergist).

That is interesting. I don't think he has ever vomited from something he ate so maybe it's not egg. She gave him something that had egg and a bunch of other things that she said he already ate and he got hives so she decided he is allergic to egg.

I have suggested that she take him to an allergist and she acted like he was too young. I think she said her pediatrician said to wait until he was 2 . . .

Clarity
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
The key is "normal", my dd is egg allergic and her reaction was hives from head to toe. No vomiting, no gastric signs at all. Just a very serious case of hives, swollen ears, cheek, etc. LarsMal is right, she should get an appt. at an allergist immediately.

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
The key is "normal", my dd is egg allergic and her reaction was hives from head to toe. No vomiting, no gastric signs at all. Just a very serious case of hives, swollen ears, cheek, etc.

So true- every kid is different and has different reactions.

OP- DS was first seen at 15 months. He had the scratch testing done and RAST testing to get base levels for his allergies. His levels were so high they skipped a year of blood testing and used those levels to compare when he finally got blood work done again last year.

I would definitely try to gently (or not so gently!) urge her to get the appointment and get the process started. It can take a while to get an appointment with a ped allergist anyway. Also, when she calls, she should mention she suspects it's egg and whether or not he should get the flu shot. They may be able to give her some advice/tell her what they do on the phone.

Maxlee
10-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Has anyone ever heard of giving Benadryl before the flu shot?

bubbaray
10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
No, I have never heard that and I would be uncomfortable masking a potential allergic reaction like that.

I've never heard that egg allergy is vomitting. My DD#2 was allergic to eggs (is outgrowing it and can now eat hidden egg) and when she did have mild reactions, her lips would get puffy.

lilycat88
10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
DD was egg allergic but has outgrown it (she's 5 now). Her reaction was a peppery body rash. She also has reactive airway disease/asthma. For her, her ped, allergist and pulmonologist all felt the benefits of the shot outweighed the allergy risk. Her shot was always done in the doctor's office with us staying for quite a while for observation. As far as Benadryl, her ped asked us not to give her anything before other than Tylenol. If there was going to be a reaction, she didn't want it masked at all by Benadry.