PDA

View Full Version : invited to Chuck E Cheese bday party WWYD?

maestramommy
10-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Dora's been invited to a bday party for one of her classmates. I'm assuming that the invite includes her and one adult. It's on a Sunday at 11, which puts us in a little quandry, because we're usually at church. Dh and I decided it's possible to just go to Sunday school, and then take Dora to the party. The part where we're undecided is whether just one of us will take her, or if we all go and pay for the rest of us.

I've never been to Chuck E Cheese, let alone for a party, so I don't know how it works. If our whole family goes, can the other adult (probably Dh) buy food for himself and Arwyn without too much confusion? It would be unthinkable for them to hang out in a totally different part of the restaurant if we all go in together.

And while I'm at it, what's a nice gift for a 4yo girl in the $10-15 range?

WatchingThemGrow
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Ooh. That's hard. I don't think we'd go. DH insists that we wouldn't. DD loves going to church, and yes, CEC is a fun place (from what I remember). Do people normally schedule birthday parties on Sunday mornings??

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
We have gone to 2 CEC parties. At the one we sat with the party (there were non reserved tables right there) and ordered our own food. At the other one the host bought parents food. It's not a problem to supply your own things. They don't pay attention to the adults, ime.

I'd maybe get some sort of arts and craft thing, a game or books (Fancy Nancy might be popular).

Beth

ha98ed14
10-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I'd have a hard time going just knowing what a germ fest that place is. Especially with the swine flu. But I have spent most of today thinking about that, so maybe that is influencing my response. ;) If you go, I think it would be totally fine for DH and DDs 2&3 to come along and your family sit adjacent to the party and buy a pizza for your family. You would not be adding to their bill and it is not the kind of place that someone would do a drop off party for a 4 year old.

geochick
10-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't assume that the invitation includes one adult. If you go, you should plan to pay for your own food unless your name was on the invite. At parties I've had where parents come with their kids, parents usually stay in the background. The only way I get parents to eat is to put a plate of food in their hand...but don't assume your host will do this.

As for Sunday morning - you have to decide that.

maestramommy
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd have a hard time going just knowing what a germ fest that place is. Especially with the swine flu. But I have spent most of today thinking about that, so maybe that is influencing my response. ;)

That's okay, we have plenty of hand sanitizer:D And we are big on handwashing before eating in public places.

maestramommy
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry, to clarify, skipping Sunday service (which starts at 10:30) is relevant only insofar as it affects how we will split up if we don't all go to the party. We're not having a personal struggle over whether we should skip service for one Sunday:p Dora doesn't go to service yet. She either will go to Sunday school again or to the nursery.

alexsmommy
10-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't assume that the invitation includes one adult. If you go, you should plan to pay for your own food unless your name was on the invite. At parties I've had where parents come with their kids, parents usually stay in the background. The only way I get parents to eat is to put a plate of food in their hand...but don't assume your host will do this.

As for Sunday morning - you have to decide that.

Around here, an invite to a four-year-old party at a place like CEC would definitely imply that food would be provided for one parent. Not until they are true drop-off parties (usually age 5 around here) which is usually stated on the invite that first year they start, would a parent not be included. I would not drop off a 4 y/o at CEC - too chaotic. Especially for a lunch time party I would always assume I was feeding a parent too. Entrance fee for one parent as well.

For the OP - we've been to several CEC parties at different sites, and it would would no problem to order your own food or to sit in a seperate area. The b-day parties are usually assigned tables in a specific area. Every one we have been to has always had more than enough pizza for whomoever showed up in the family and the hostess has always been gracious about saying help yourself. I would assume you had to pay for DH and DD2 & 3 entrance and food, but there may be enough food. Just prepare DD2 that she won't be getting a goody bag - CEC makes those up based on number the host gives them ahead of time.

kransden
10-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Around here, an invite to a four-year-old party at a place like CEC would definitely imply that food would be provided for one parent. Not until they are true drop-off parties (usually age 5 around here) which is usually stated on the invite that first year they start, would a parent not be included. I would not drop off a 4 y/o at CEC - too chaotic. Especially for a lunch time party I would always assume I was feeding a parent too. Entrance fee for one parent as well.

For the OP - we've been to several CEC parties at different sites, and it would would no problem to order your own food or to sit in a seperate area. The b-day parties are usually assigned tables in a specific area. Every one we have been to has always had more than enough pizza for whomoever showed up in the family and the hostess has always been gracious about saying help yourself. I would assume you had to pay for DH and DD2 & 3 entrance and food, but there may be enough food. Just prepare DD2 that she won't be getting a goody bag - CEC makes those up based on number the host gives them ahead of time.

My experience exactly, except for the extra food for the extra parent and/or kids. That has been a 50/50 split.

niccig
10-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I always ask. DH likes to come to parties of school kids to meet the other parents and kids. I normally ask the parent of the birthday child and offer to pay for DH's entrance to the party place. Many times, people say don't bother as they've accounted for extra adults and extra kids. Food has always been included for the parent that stays - in fact I can't wait for drop -off parties, as less people to feed. I feel it's polite to say "We would like for DH and the 2 siblings to come to the party, but we will pay for our own entrance/food/coupons for the games".

mjmamma
10-01-2009, 11:09 PM
In my group of friends, we always order extra CEC pizzas for the adults/siblings so, personally, two slices for your two extra children shouldn't be a problem but I know that may not always be the case. However is usually enough room to feed everyone else at another table. Two things: Bring cups/drinks for the other children as only 'paid for' party guests receive cups to drink from the party pitchers (they're sticklers about that here) and be sure to go to slickdeals.net and you'll find a printable coupon for 100 CEC tokens for $10.00. It's a great deal. Each game takes one token...even games the younger ones can play.
I kind of love CEC, ours is very clean!

new_mommy25
10-02-2009, 12:20 AM
I've been to tons of CEC party. There are the reserved tables in the party area, and then unreserved tables right next to those. It is no problem to get your own food and drinks as you just order at a counter and they bring it to the table. Usually extra guests just buy their own food and sit at the table next to the party table. :)

egoldber
10-02-2009, 06:46 AM
It is no problem to get your own food and drinks as you just order at a counter and they bring it to the table. Usually extra guests just buy their own food and sit at the table next to the party table.

:yeahthat: One nice about CEC is that it is easy to bring extra kids and huests without feeling like you are imposing on the party hostess. I would not assume that food will be provided for an adult. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. But if it isn't then it is easy to just buy your own. There is a baby/toddler area as well.

bnme
10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
If you all go just be prepared to pay for food for you, DH, and other DC. Although there is often a parents pizza. The party kids all sit in a designated spot and parents at the other end of the table. As long as your other LO wont feel left out of the party you will be fine. You will have to pay admission for her and the host need not even know she is there. Also be ready for a really loud environment and having to chase a 2yo around the toddler area while the others in the main area.

mominma
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I would not be so concerned about having DH and 2 other kids coming. CEC is open to the public and often they have several birthday parties going on at the same time. I would plan to buy food and tokens for your DH and other kids, but the hostess might say there is plenty of food for them.

I think the reason they are having the party at 11 is to try and avoid the crowds. I would say a little later in the afternoon is when it gets pretty crowded. I use to hate week-end parties at CEC because I always felt it was hard to account for who was in your party and who was just the general public.

If your whole family does go, you can usually find some coupons online for pizza and tokens - check fatwallet or slickdeals.

o_mom
10-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the logistics of CEC have been covered. Personally, I wouldn't go unless you paid me. :tongue5: If I could keep my youngers blissfully unaware that such a place existed, I would.

Zingo is a good game for that age group.

HIU8
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
:yeahthat: Around here it would also mean the invited child and one parent b/c most likely food will be provided for the party and one parent per child. Honestly, I would not take the entire family. I would let DC go to their friends party with one parent and the other parent would take the other children and go home or do something else.

AnnieW625
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
:yeahthat: Around here it would also mean the invited child and one parent b/c most likely food will be provided for the party and one parent per child. Honestly, I would not take the entire family. I would let DC go to their friends party with one parent and the other parent would take the other children and go home or do something else.

:yeahthat: I don't know what your Chuck E Cheese is like but the last time I went many years ago the pizza wasn't very good so the rest of your family may not be missing much.