PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Vanicream or Cerave

DrSally
10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
2 different docs have recommended either vanicream or cerave for the kids. They say it really moisturizes, is light, and doesn't sting. DS won't let me put lotion on his cheeks b/c it really stings (just eucerin), but it stings b/c it's dry. After reading the ingred on vanicream, it sounds like lotion-ized petroleum jelly, which I guess is very mild. It seems like they leave a lot of the bad/irritating stuff out too, which is just as important, I guess. So, does this stuff *ever* go onsale?

ett
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I usually order vanicream from drugstore.com. It did go on sale there a couple of months ago, and I stocked up on it then. I find that's the best deal since I can get free shipping, cashback from shopdiscover (or bing, ebates, fatwallet), and no tax. drugstore.com also has a 5% cashback for their own site. I currently have $7 in drugstore.com dollars that I can use this month.

Vanicream has worked great for my kids. It lotion-y and very easy to put on.

DrSally
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I usually order vanicream from drugstore.com. It did go on sale there a couple of months ago, and I stocked up on it then. I find that's the best deal since I can get free shipping, cashback from shopdiscover (or bing, ebates, fatwallet), and no tax. drugstore.com also has a 5% cashback for their own site. I currently have $7 in drugstore.com dollars that I can use this month.

Vanicream has worked great for my kids. It lotion-y and very easy to put on.

Thank you. I was wondering if drugstore.com may be the way to go. Glad to hear it works well for you.

twowhat?
10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
The Costco pharmacy will order Cerave, it's maybe a dollar cheaper than from Walgreens. Drugstore.com is also good. We have not tried Vanicream, but Cerave cream (not lotion) is a POT OF GOLD for eczema.

LarsMal
10-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I've tried both and I prefer CeraVe over Vanicream. CeraVe has a lotion and a cream. Both are good. (I started with the cream and now use the lotion.)

I get my CeraVe from CVS, but I've noticed other places are starting to carry it. I have seen it behind the counter at my pharmacy, too.

Vanicream can be ordered through your pharmacist, too. I also found it here: http://www.natlallergy.com/prod/1259/vanicream-skin-care-lotions-skin-creams.html?c=24

Does your doc have any Vanicream samples? My derm had samples of both. Check with them first before you spend the money.

ett
10-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I've also heard good things about Cerave but chose Vanicream over it because Cerave contains parabens, which I generally avoid.

KHF
10-02-2009, 07:44 AM
We bought our Vanicream for DS at Walgreen's. It was in stock on the shelves. Seems like it was around $13 for the big pump one. It has worked wonders on his eczema. I wish I had known about it when DD was a baby.

kcimato
10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I also get Vanicream at Walgreens . It's on the shelves.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-02-2009, 10:44 AM
i buy containers of Cerave from Target. i think they are like $17. some may think it's pricey but it's so worth it, there's nothing else i like more. i like it because it has no fragrance at all, and is not greasy. being pregnant i can't stand anything that has smells, even if it's a "nice" smell.

DrSally
10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the reviews and info. I have never seen cerave or vanicream at Target, but maybe they have it at the pharmacy. I got a tiny sample tube of vanicream at the derm and it seems light and moisturizing. She also pumped a few squirts of cerave (lotion) in a cup for me to bring home (haven't tried it yet). DS and DD don't have eczema per se (DH has it bad), but DS in particular has really dry skin that we try to keep moisturized. It stings when I even put Eucern on it. I tried Eucerin cream on his face and it clogged his pores and give him acne!

LBW
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I ordered Vanicream through our pharmacist and now he stocks it! He hasthanked me for introducing him to it several times.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the reviews and info. I have never seen Cerave or vanicream at Target, but maybe they have it at the pharmacy. I got a tiny sample tube of vanicream at the derm and it seems light and moisturizing. She also pumped a few squirts of cerave (lotion) in a cup for me to bring home (haven't tried it yet). DS and DD don't have eczema per se (DH has it bad), but DS in particular has really dry skin that we try to keep moisturized. It stings when I even put Eucern on it. I tried Eucerin cream on his face and it clogged his pores and give him acne!

yeah, at my local Target the Cerave cream is not on the shelves, you have to go to the pharmacy counter and ask for it. i think it's like $17 for a 16-oz thingy. anyway, i have no experience using it on babies (i'm expecting my first in a few months), but both me & my DH use it (him more than me, as he has super-dry skin). my DH is super-picky about creams and this is the one kind he will actually use because it doesn't leave his skin feeling greasy and oily.