PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to wash my sleeping bag in a commercial washer?

ett
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm just about to go wash my new sleeping bag and saw that the washing instructions say not to wash in a top loading washer and to only use a front loading or commercial washer. I did a quick google search and it's because of the imbalance issue. The other option they said was to handwash, which I really don't want to do.

So if I try to wash it in my washer, will the imbalance cause the washer to break? (We do have a large top loader.) Or do I just need to suck it up and go to the laundromat this weekend?

Thanks!

KpbS
10-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I've washed a couple in a large tub. It wasn't the easiest process--they get REALLY heavy when wet and are difficult to manage. After handwashing, I drained as much water off as possible, and put the sleeping bags in the washing machine so I could use the spin cycle to remove the majority of the remaining water before drying.

niccig
10-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I took DS's bag to a friend's house. She has one of those large front loading machines - it was totally fine. I think the problem with the agitator is that it can make the down in the sleeping bag clump together.

Snow mom
10-02-2009, 07:48 AM
What type of a bag is it? A big problem in washing synthetic bags in a washer with an agitator is that it gets wrapped around the agitator and the filling of the bag will rip from where it is supposed to be. This will leave you with bunches of stuffing and very, very cold spots. I'm not sure about down as PP suggested but I know this is true for synthetic bags. I wouldn't risk not following wash instructions with a brand new bag. Maybe a friend or neighbor has a HE machine you can use?

wellyes
10-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Just take it to a laundromat. Not worth risking your washer over it.

MoJo
10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
I'd recommend finding and using another washer.

I've broke the coupling on my extra-large top-loading washer TWICE with heavy loads of just towels. If that happens, you know because the water drains out but the basket won't spin.

I now take comforters to the laundromat and wash smaller loads of everything else.

HTH!