PDA

View Full Version : anyone had a lesion (pre-cancerous) "frozen" off?

nfowife
10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a spot on my nose (on the side) that I saw my family dr. for today. He said he doesn't think it's cancer but it's a weird spot and keeps flaking off. So, he said he wants to freeze it off. That way we can avoid a biopsy unless necessary since it's on my nose.
Anyone had any experience with this? Does it hurt? What does it look like afterwards? I am planning to go on Tuesday but we leave for vacation on Thursday and I don't want a big scab on my nose during my trip. Should I wait until the week after to get it done? He acted like it was no big deal but the things I'm reading online have me freaked out! It's a very small spot, I had to show him, it just looks pinker than the rest of my skin.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I've had some precancerous cell groupings removed from my arms before. I'll warn you that unless you've got incredible insurance it's not going to be cheap. But it stings a little and will leave a blister looking welt that I cover with a bandaid until it heals. No scars though. Good luck.

pinkmomagain
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
My dh has the exact same thing as you! He's had the area frozen 2x. If it's still not improved in a few weeks, then the dr wants to biopsy. I'm not sure how much it hurts, by it can't be much because my dh is a wuss when it comes to any kind of medical procedure. (I think this dr charged him $30 for the procedure each time...through insurance.) The area was a little red but not much worse than it previously had been. HTH

kijip
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Not, me but my husband, who spent his childhood getting very tan out of doors with no sunscreen, has had this done a couple of times. Not a lot of pain (according to him) and it was 100% covered by our insurance.

nfowife
10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks so much! No cost to me, I'm going to the military hospital on the base here so it's 100% covered. I feel much better now!

mommyp
10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I had it done in August. It was red and had a small scab, similar to a mild burn mark, but totally disappeared in a week or two. It was not very noticeable (and it was on the bridge of my nose!) It was completely covered by insurance.

kristenk
10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't have anything to add to this thread, but when I first read it, I thought it asked about having a lesbian frozen off and I couldn't figure out what was going on! Clearly, I need to read more carefully.

codex57
10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
It gets cold here so I didn't think it was all that bad. Really icy in a tiny spot. No biggie. Healed up relatively normally. Better than the mole that was there before anyways. Flu shot was way more traumatizing to me, and I'm not scared of needles (that much).

I was under my parents plan at the time, but I don't think it was expensive at all (quite sure it was under $75 each, without insurance involvement cuz we had high deductibles). I only had one cuz I don't care about moles as a guy, but my mom and sister had like 4 or 5 done each. Even ones they weren't really worried about (doc may not have even charged for a couple of them cuz they were so small).