PDA

View Full Version : Help: "cheap-ish" fruit / fruit salad for 30 people

newmomto1
10-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know why it is that no matter where we are invited, we always are asked to bring fruit...which gets pricey. Especially annoying when others are bringing chips, soda, etc.
We are really trying to watch our pennies right now because we are trying to sell our house (and have already purchased another).
We have been invited to an event this weekend and of course asked to bring fruit.
We cannot be home prior to cut it up because there is going to be an open house here.
We will have maybe a 1/2 hour to prepare.
Can someone give me ideas on how to throw together an INEXPENSIVE fruit bowl, salad, platter, etc???
I'd really appreciate it!!!!!!!!
TIA!!!!!

ETA: forgot to mention its for 30 people

niccig
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Buy a watermelon and cut it up at the house you are going to. Do you have a Costco or other warehouse membership - Costco and Smart and Final have large containers of fruit like grapes etc. But I still think buying a watermelon is the cheapest way to go.

SnuggleBuggles
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I'd just buy a bunch of grapes and call it a day.

Beth

kijip
10-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Canned pineapple?

Look at the grocery ads, see what is on sale and get that. Don't worry about a big variety or big salad, just stick to what is on sale. For my area right now, that is apples and plums mostly. Though things like banana always tend to be cheap. Here grapes are almost always high.

Also, next time offer quickly to bring something cheaper. Or if they ask you to bring fruit say, "I am sorry, that won't work for me, I can bring X instead"

Apple slices can be mixed with raisins to make a cute presentation. You can cut ahead by dipping them in something acidic like lemon or orange juice.

DietCokeLover
10-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Buy a bag of presliced apples and some caramel dip. Voila!

newmomto1
10-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Buy a watermelon and cut it up at the house you are going to. Do you have a Costco or other warehouse membership - Costco and Smart and Final have large containers of fruit like grapes etc. But I still think buying a watermelon is the cheapest way to go.

Haven't closed on the other house yet :(
And no cosco membership :(

SM23Mama21
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
What about an apple waldorf salad? Apples are not too expensive and I don't think it would hurt it if you had to make it in advance.

baymom
10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
An inexpensive fruit salad that people have always complimented me on is the following: small pieces of apples mixed with small pieces of banana. Add cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. If you feel that the apples were on the tart side, you can add the SLIGHTEST bit of sugar. That's it. Delicious, really.

wellyes
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Can't cut fruit in advance and can't cut fruit there? Sounds like a good occasion to NOT bring fruit.

Maybe get something like this from your grocery store:
http://www.taquitos.net/im/sn/Seneca-CinnApple.jpg
Failing that, bag 'o macintoshes. It's October, they're in season, bada bing.

BeachBum
10-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Strawberry pretzel salad?

urquie
10-02-2009, 08:02 PM
dh just went to a grad school bbq potluck with about 50 people and brought about 5-6lbs of grapes for his side dish contribution. they were on sale for $98/lb. :boogie: i washed and cut them into little bunches ahead of time. he said they went over very well and he returned with about 1/3 of them... which made for good leftovers. :)

sometimes i'll cute up a watermelon and garnish the slices with other fruit like strawberries and pineapple. that way the bulk is cheaper watermelon but it looks a little nicer. plain watermelon is fine too!

gatorsmom
10-02-2009, 08:03 PM
One that was passed down from my mother's side. Kids love this and it's inexpensive. And it can make alot depending on how much fruit you put in it.

Couple large cans of mixed fruit DRAINED (which is mainly pears and peaches but has some grapes and the token cherry)
Any other fruit like (grapes cut in half work great, small chunks of apple, etc.)
Container of Cool Whip
(optional but yummy) chopped walnuts

Mix it up and serve it right away.

GraceH
10-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I like to do a Pineapple Pistachio Salad (or variation on it) -- it's pretty idiot proof (can of pineapple+pudding+coolwhip+marshmallows>>stir), make ahead & throw in a cooler if need be...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Instant-Pistachio-Salad/Detail.aspx