PDA

View Full Version : My DD Falls and Hits Her Head

shawnandangel
10-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I am concerned. Our dd is 11 months old and is cruising and sometimes she falls and hits her head. It really upsets her and me as well. I am concerned about her hurting herself. Should I be worried? We have hardwood.

She hasn't gotten a bruised or bled. Still, I'm worried she'll give herself a concussion. What did you do when your DC was in the cruising stage to help prevent falls?

-Shawn

arivecchi
10-02-2009, 06:04 PM
This may sound crazy, but I got DS1 a soft helmet from One Step Ahead. That was after he had a particularly nasty fall on hardwood that sent us to the ER b/c he started projectile vomiting after the fall.

http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=148756&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85216

hillview
10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Kids fall. It is very hard to get used to but it happens ALL.THE.TIME. They are ok unless it is from a large distance, they lose conscienceness or vomit etc.
/hillary

egoldber
10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
:yeahthat:

brittone2
10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Another :yeahthat:

wellyes
10-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Yet another :yeahthat:

We have all hardwoods too. Most of the time she's fine when she falls, once in a while she gets a goose egg. Only time I've ever been concerned was when she hits a corner of the wall and even then, after a few minutes of tears and snuggling and comforting, she was off playing again.

One key to successful falling is for you to NOT react to it..... the more worried you are, the more worried she'll be. I found with my DD it was best to say when she fell "Oh there's that floor again yay!" or "congratulations you found the floor!" This doesn't mean being callous - and I've never NOT comforted her when she was upset. But me reacting that way helps her not get upset and that's ultimately best for everyone.

kep
10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Try not to worry too much. My ds has actually had a skull fracture from a fall to a hardwood floor, and he's okay. :) His ped neuro-surgeon said that the majority of skull fractures heal on their own and are no problem. She also mentioned that before the invention of the CT scan, there were probably a lot of undetected injuries out there that went untreated with no ill effect. That being said, it takes a lot to break a bone in a child, and all kids get bumps and bruises. And ITA with trying to tone down your own reaction. Kids totally feed off us us for their own reactions. Be brave!