PDA

View Full Version : My house has been creeping me out lately... and other eerie stories

kep
10-02-2009, 09:59 PM
We moved in here about 3-4 months ago, and have been relatively settled for a while. I was totally comfortable here. But for the last week or two, I have been jumping at every little noise, and really being very skittish in general. Which is totally not me. I keep hearing noises downstairs when I am upstairs, seeing shadows downstairs when I'm looking down the staircase. I feel so jumpy and weirded out. And it's not that I am not used to the sounds the house makes while settling. I stopped hearing those in general after about the first week. These are new sounds...

I would not go as far as to say that it's haunted, not by a long shot, but I just feel nervous now, mostly at night. Eek!

The only other time that I have ever noticed anything strange or paranormal was at my in-laws house. They own a huge 1860's farmhouse way out in the country, where my dh grew up. I was staying there after we got married, and crossed the hall from my bedroom to the bathroom. I passed the top of the stairs on the way to the bathroom, which were dark and the time. I swear I saw my dh coming up the stairs, toward the middle of the upper set of stairs. I didn't think anything of it, and continued on into the bathroom. A couple of minutes later I started thinking it was odd that dh had not actually ever passed the bathroom I was in. He later said that he had never actually been upstairs that night. Strange.

There are also several other bedrooms that had pretty dark feelings to them. Oddly enough, they were the same rooms that he had felt creeped out by as a child. There are all kinds of stories about ghosts and different sounds through out the house, although most of the happenings have calmed down in recent years. My MIL talks about hearing a child playing upstairs and bouncing a ball, when no kids were in the house.

There was also one particularly eerie night that happened while we were dating. We had spent the evening at the house, and we were in the library downstairs talking. I started to get the strangest feeling that there was something evil outside the house, somewhere in the night. The feeling was so strong and overwhelming that I actually started crying. I had been planning to drive home, but there was no way that I was going out there that evening. No way. I ended up spending the night in one of the spare bedrooms and going home in the morning.

It's almost Halloween, so add your own stories! I'm creeped out anyway, a few good stories won't hurt. ;)

Radosti
10-02-2009, 10:11 PM
You need a couple of dogs or cats. Although, I once petsat for a family with three cats. One of the rooms was off limits to the cats and they had an electric fence installed to keep them out. Well, every night, I'd be there to feed them and scoop cat litter and the cats would just randomly all stop at once and stare into the darkness of that room. Freaked me out!!!

amldaley
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
While I have been "visited" by my dog and my cat, it never really bothered me. It actually comforted me.

DH and I lived for a short time in a house with a strange history. Our pets were all staying with MIL as we were in transition. We kept hearing a cat meowing in the house, at the end of the hall. We each heard it seperately then discussed it one day. Then we saw the cat in the house. It was white. So weird. None of the neighbors had cats, none nearby, etc. But we figured it was friendly enough!!

ThreeofUs
10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
True story:

I was sleeping in our bedroom of our house in Santa Barbara, which had a tiny balcony with doors that overlooked our courtyard. DH was away, but the dog was in the room.

I dreamed a youngish man - tall and slender - came in the doors and walked over to the side of my bed. He reached out to touch my face as he he reached the bed, and I woke with a gasp. Scared out of my tintype.

Nothing was there except sunshine...

...but here's the rest of the story:

I still had a horrible sense that something was right there. Inches from me. I was literally so scared I couldn't move, but realized my dog was growling.

As the sense of something being there began to pass away, I looked at my dog. She was staring at the side of the bed, and growled louder and louder as she watched something move the 15 feet from the side of our bed to the door of our bedroom. Whatever - WHOever - it was went out the door, my dog stopped growling, and popped to her feet, looking out to the landing.

I was so unnerved that I got dressed, and took the dog for a walk along the beach for about an hour before I could make myself go back to the house.

bubbaray
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM
We have definitely had ghost experiences in our house, but not for a while: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244950&highlight=ghost see post #3.

We really thought our ghost was "friendly" and other than it being freaky/strange that we both saw her, we really haven't had any bad experiences. Since DD#2 got treatment for eczema and food allergies, we've not seen her either -- I wonder if she was just tryiing to take care of the hysterical baby?? Hmmm.

Fairy
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I love this thread. Mmm-mmm good, man.

Puddy73
10-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Our subdivision is built on a former rice/indigo plantation. We were well aware of this when we bought our house because the plantation house and outbuildings have been preserved and are about a quarter mile from our house. However, we had no idea that the overgrown, vacant lot diagonal to ours was a GRAVEYARD for the plantation. One day a crew of college kids came in and cleaned it out and put up a marker as a class project. There are over a hundred graves from the 1700s to the 1920s. I've never noticed any weird feeling but our dog will often look in that direction and growl with his hair standing up. Creepy!

There are a few places in Savannah that definitely give off a weird vibe, in particular the old slave market by the river.

gatorsmom
10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
True story:

I was sleeping in our bedroom of our house in Santa Barbara, which had a tiny balcony with doors that overlooked our courtyard. DH was away, but the dog was in the room.

I dreamed a youngish man - tall and slender - came in the doors and walked over to the side of my bed. He reached out to touch my face as he he reached the bed, and I woke with a gasp. Scared out of my tintype.

Nothing was there except sunshine...

...but here's the rest of the story:

I still had a horrible sense that something was right there. Inches from me. I was literally so scared I couldn't move, but realized my dog was growling.

As the sense of something being there began to pass away, I looked at my dog. She was staring at the side of the bed, and growled louder and louder as she watched something move the 15 feet from the side of our bed to the door of our bedroom. Whatever - WHOever - it was went out the door, my dog stopped growling, and popped to her feet, looking out to the landing.

I was so unnerved that I got dressed, and took the dog for a walk along the beach for about an hour before I could make myself go back to the house.

Woo- major chillls!

BabyMine
10-03-2009, 04:42 PM
When I was little our family vacationed in an old home in New York. It was a huge victorian house and also had a big barn in the backyard. One night I was sleeping and something woke me up. I started to hear footstep slowly comming up the old wood stairs. I went out to see who was up and I didn't see anyone. I went and checked in my mother's and sister's room but they were sound asleep.

So I went back to bed. As soon as I layed down I heard it again. Then I hear a door open and then I heard someone rocking in the rocking chair. I went out to see who it was and when I opened the door the rocking chair was rocking on its own. I ran into my mother's room and for the rest of the visit I slept with her.

Weird things always went on in that house and the barn. From then on I have always believed in ghosts. I have also learned to hate old houses.

viba424
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought it was laughable when my best friend went with her daughters to actually pay to stay overnight in a haunted house where a very violent crime occured 100 years ago. But let me tell you they came home with the clearest paranormal male voice on the digital voice recorder...it was unreal. There were only four women in the house and and I know they are not scamming me - they have no reason to. My husband and I were in complete shock. I totally believe in ghosts now. They were rolling the ball in the room and she said "pick whichever one you like" and a yesteryear-sounding voice said "this one works well". OMG seriously. It was indisputable.

malphy
10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
when dd was born I slept right next to her room with a monitor. I heard dd giggling and heard voices. i turned off the monitor and still heard talking and laughing. I stepped into her room and she was all smiles but the voices were gone.

that was 3 years ago. 2 nights ago I fell asleep in her room and heard voices. I work up and still but barely heard them. I heard the voices several more time that night.

I'm convinced it's my deceased mom, dad , sister and brother wacthing over her.

Raidra
10-26-2010, 08:59 AM
We moved in here about 3-4 months ago, and have been relatively settled for a while. I was totally comfortable here. But for the last week or two, I have been jumping at every little noise, and really being very skittish in general. Which is totally not me. I keep hearing noises downstairs when I am upstairs, seeing shadows downstairs when I'm looking down the staircase. I feel so jumpy and weirded out. And it's not that I am not used to the sounds the house makes while settling. I stopped hearing those in general after about the first week. These are new sounds...

I would not go as far as to say that it's haunted, not by a long shot, but I just feel nervous now, mostly at night. Eek!

The only other time that I have ever noticed anything strange or paranormal was at my in-laws house. They own a huge 1860's farmhouse way out in the country, where my dh grew up. I was staying there after we got married, and crossed the hall from my bedroom to the bathroom. I passed the top of the stairs on the way to the bathroom, which were dark and the time. I swear I saw my dh coming up the stairs, toward the middle of the upper set of stairs. I didn't think anything of it, and continued on into the bathroom. A couple of minutes later I started thinking it was odd that dh had not actually ever passed the bathroom I was in. He later said that he had never actually been upstairs that night. Strange.

There are also several other bedrooms that had pretty dark feelings to them. Oddly enough, they were the same rooms that he had felt creeped out by as a child. There are all kinds of stories about ghosts and different sounds through out the house, although most of the happenings have calmed down in recent years. My MIL talks about hearing a child playing upstairs and bouncing a ball, when no kids were in the house.

There was also one particularly eerie night that happened while we were dating. We had spent the evening at the house, and we were in the library downstairs talking. I started to get the strangest feeling that there was something evil outside the house, somewhere in the night. The feeling was so strong and overwhelming that I actually started crying. I had been planning to drive home, but there was no way that I was going out there that evening. No way. I ended up spending the night in one of the spare bedrooms and going home in the morning.

It's almost Halloween, so add your own stories! I'm creeped out anyway, a few good stories won't hurt. ;)

You might have some high electromagnetic fields in your house. Some people are sensitive to high EMFs and it can cause paranoia, uneasiness, nausea, and even skin irritations. You could try getting an EMF detector and seeing if that's what's causing it.