PDA

View Full Version : Pack n play questions

babybell
10-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I know there's been other threads about this, but I'm still a bit confused about the PNP (1st time mom).

We'll be living in our current place until baby is 6 months old. Can we get away with just using the PNP for sleeping during that time? If so, she would first sleep in the bassinet until 15 lbs, and then sleep on the bottom of the play yard, right? Is there some kind of mattress that can go on the bottom to make it more sleep-able?

Or do I have this whole thing wrong?

DietCokeLover
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
You will be fine with the PNP for that time period. There's a lot of people who use them exclusively.

In my recollection, it is not recommended to add any kind of mattress to the bottom of the PNP. You could put a mattress pad under the sheet if you wanted to add a little something extra.

Accountant
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes, babies sleep on the bottom of the playyard once they reach the manufacturer's weigth limit, although I have to say I used the bassinet past the limit for a month or so. I would definitely get a mattress pad for the bottom. I wasn't even aware of this until DD was older and the pad made a huge difference! Only negative with using a playyard to sleep is that you have to bend over so far to place a sleeping baby on the bottom (obviously not a problem if you are in the 'put the baby to bed while awake' camp). You could also look into portable cribs-these fold flat for moving/storing and are more like traditional cribs. Also something I wish I would have known about earlier!

babybell
10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Okay, great! Thanks!

PMJ
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I am also planning on using the PNP for sleeping for first 3 months.

I was told by the lady at BRU that no additional Mattress or Pad is needed for the bottom. To us it seems hard, but for babies, it is actually better for their back and development.

I'm also a First time Mom - so no clue if this is true; but I was not planning on buying an additional mattress.

good luck!

Vintheland
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
That sounds fine. You can get a pad for the PNP if you want. Sometimes a sheet alone is fine too. But there is no rush. You could wait and see for yourself and then get it later if you need to.