PDA

View Full Version : Non-Allergic Rash to Amoxicillin????

jenny
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
DD has been on Amoxicillin since last Friday. A few days after she started it, I noticed a few bumps on her body but didn't think anything of it.
Then the other day she broke out in a rash on her trunk and it has subsequently spread all over her body and even to her neck and face.

She's fine. No fever. She's playful and her usual self.

The doc told us to stop the medicine since she's been on it for 8 days already. And her infection seems to have cleared up.

Wondering if anyone else has BTDT?

I looked up rash and Amoxicillin on Wikipedia (not the most reliable resource) but read that a small percentage of children who have never received Amoxicillin before in their lives who take it break out in a non-allergic rash after 3 days.

I'm wondering if this is it. We have to keep an eye on her to see if it gets worse and bring her in on Monday if she does get worse b/c it might be viral related, but I'm thinking it's b/c of the medicine she was on...what do you think? Nobody in our family is allergic to Amoxicillin, so I'm wondering if DD can take it again later on if she needs it or if this means she's allergic to it.

MaiseyDog
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not at work, so I can't send more, but here is a pretty good recap of Antibiotic rash.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_ampirash_hhg.htm

We actually see this a good bit.

jenny
10-03-2009, 12:16 PM
thanks!

should I keep giving her the antibiotic? the on-call doc told us to stop it b/c she's fine now even though we're supposed to give it to her until Monday. sigh.

it wasn't anything serious that she got the amoxicillin for...she just had a really bad runny nose with gooey stuff coming out sometimes for about 3 weeks, so the doc gave her an antibiotic to clear it up in case she was having an infection or in case it became a sinus infection.

No runny nose anymore, but now she's just covered in a rash from head to toe...literally, she has the rash on her hands and the bottom of her feet. ugh.

JBaxter
10-03-2009, 12:21 PM
YOu need to stop giving it to her. It may be a rash this time but it could be worse ( or become worse) if you keep giving it to her or give it to her again.

staramama
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I had a rash-type reaction to Amoxicillin as an adult. After a day or two of taking it, I got an all-over itchy feeling and an accompanying rash. Stopped taking it, and it cleared up. I always note that reaction on new patient forms. As a result, health professionals avoid giving me penicillin.
HTH

jenny
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
OK thanks guys!! I didn't give her any today, so will hope that it clears up.

nfowife
10-03-2009, 02:47 PM
same thing happened to DS as in an infant when he was on amoxicillin. We haven't given any of the penicillin-related abx since then, because of the initial reaction. I was told that it wasn't a true allergy but how will I know? Do you just try again to see?

fauve01
10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
My dd got a rash on the tenth day of taking Amoxocillian. the ped said yes it was an allergic reaction to the Amox even though it was the 10th day (and even though DD had taken it previously without any reaction).

discontinue taking it and get the to prescribe something else.

hth,
Anne + DD 10-03

KrystalS
10-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Same thing happened to my DD. Rash broke out on the 5th day. Dr said to stop giving it to her and said it always note it on charts that she is allergic. He said its possible the allergic reaction could be worse the second time so she should always be given an alternative antibiotic.

trentsmom
10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
What a timely question! DS2 has been on antibiotics for 5 days, and I noticed a rash on his face this morning. I immediately thought of this thread, so I came here and paid more attention to what was written. MaiseyDog, thanks for the link.

DrSally
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I couldn't get the link to open. DS went on antibiotics for the first time when he was about 3 yo. 5 days into the 14 day script (suspected sinus infection that I now believe was seasonal allergies), he developed 1 hive on his face each day for 3 days. The ped said it was absolutely not from the amox, he thought it was from a "virus'. Then toward the end of the course, he got a flat, red, quarter size rash on his face. This has made me cautious and worried that perhaps he does have an amox allergy (he has food allergies). However, when we were prescribed a ceph- antibiotic for strep this year, he did not tolerate it well. It gave him a stomach ache and very tired and incredibly irritable. So, I'd like to do amox next time he needs antibiotics b/c he seemed to tolerate it well, but I don't want to if he's really allergic, KWIM?

ETA: Now I was able to open the link. So, based on this, it sounds like my DS's rash wasn't an allergic reaction?

Jen841
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
10th day, 20th dose J got a rash on his hands, arms and legs from Bactrum (sp?). We spoke to CHOP Dr and went to Ped... he's ok, give him Benedryl and it may last a few days. Rash is gone today (2 days.) He even went back to school (by choice!). I came home was felt like I was hit by a Mack truck!