PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite musical soundtrack?

jess_g
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
We have been listeing to the Hairspray soundtrack alot in the car. I am wondering what musical soundtacks you all like to listen to or would recemend we try next.

Thanks,

Jessica.

gatorsmom
10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm a total sap but I love the Sound of Music soundtrack for family listening. The kids love trying to yodel with the "Lonely Goatherd" song.

LBW
10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Evita, with Sweeney Todd a close second.

bubbaray
10-03-2009, 03:45 PM
My kids love the Momma Mia one.

Its better than Barney.

srkaplan
10-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I like a lot of the Wicked soundtrack, although there are a few songs that I skip through. I also love Avenue Q, but it's definitely NOT kid-friendly!

Pennylane
10-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Mamma Mia and Rent are two of my favorites. My kids love both of them too!

Ann

pakin
10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I love Hairspray and Mamma Mia (both movie versions) soundtrack too!

Others that I like are Seussical the musical soundtrack and soundtrack from the movie Surf's Up (does that count?)

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Mamma Mia.

Beth

icunurse
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm a total sap but I love the Sound of Music soundtrack for family listening. The kids love trying to yodel with the "Lonely Goatherd" song.

Me, too! DS even does the talking parts by Julie Andrews. Good to know we're not alone :)

Also love Grease and Saturday Night Fever for my listening pleasure.

dcmom2b3
10-03-2009, 04:07 PM

I thought we were the only Sound of Music saps on the planet! Yo-da-lay-he-hooo!

Bunny still gets an occasional Edelweiss/16 going on 17/Hills are alive/So long farewell/ mashup lullaby.

For myself, no less sappy, my fave soundtrack is "Mona Lisa Smile." Lots of reasons, but Chris Isaak singing Besame Mucho certainly doesn't hurt.

ETA: How could I have forgotten -- anything by Hans Zimmer, esp. when I need a good cry. Still sappy.

dcmom2b3
10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
My kids love the Momma Mia one.

Its better than Barney.

Dude, better than Barney is HUGE, IMO. Better for the grownups, I mean.

On a usual week, by Sunday afternoon I'm putting on zydeco CDs, or, if it's been a bad week, Rolling Stones. She won't think that "Brown Sugar" is about HER, right? And if she picks up on the innuendo in the Creole music, I'm one step closer to bilingualism. Right? :bag

Since we've been housebound (sick kid) for nearly a week I shiver to think what tomorrow's playlist will include . . .

maestramommy
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
my fair lady:cheerleader1:

lilycat88
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Wicked
Hairspray
Jesus Christ Superstar
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Raincoat

Too many to name!

bubbaray
10-03-2009, 05:10 PM
On a usual week, by Sunday afternoon I'm putting on zydeco CDs, or, if it's been a bad week, Rolling Stones. She won't think that "Brown Sugar" is about HER, right? And if she picks up on the innuendo in the Creole music, I'm one step closer to bilingualism. Right? :bag

Since we've been housebound (sick kid) for nearly a week I shiver to think what tomorrow's playlist will include . . .

I was playing Amy Winehouse "Rehab" as I was driving DD#2 (2.5 yo) to ballet earlier. Nickelback and AC/DC are the typical music in DH's truck. I'm pretty sure that zydeco and The Stones are better than cracktastic Amy....

Sorry Bunny's been sick. Hope she's better soon!

DietCokeLover
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Only You and Return To Me

tnrnchick74
10-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Rent and Fiddler on the Roof

Fairy
10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Mama Mia!!

However, also big fans of Philadelphia Chickens & Rhinocerous Tap. Yes, I realize these are not what you were looking for, but they are like musicals! And they don't suck!

M-H, you may really like the Philadelphia Chickens!

g-mama
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Rent. All-time fave. And dh can play many of the songs on the piano, which I think is awesome. :)

frgsnlzrds
10-03-2009, 07:40 PM
That's a tough question. I love Evita.

I'm a huge fan of Into The Woods, too. I highly recommend that one.

ETA: Thanks. Now I'm gonna have it stuck in my head until I have a chance to listen to it!

He's a very smart Prince,
He's a Prince who prepares.
Knowing this time I'd run from him,
He spread pitch on the stairs...

Corie
10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
My favorite musical soundtrack of all time is Grease 2. My sister and I
used to sing the songs and then perform them together. We would argue
over who got which season in the song called "A Girl for All Seasons".

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Jesus Christ Superstar. Opening number is the best rock song ever.

jent
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Once More With Feeling

(aka the soundtrack to the Buffy musical episode)

Reyadawnbringer
10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Rent and Moulin Rouge. We also like the Happy Feet sountrack quite a bit too.

Fairy
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Once More With Feeling

(aka the soundtrack to the Buffy musical episode)

Wait, I move this to #1

MmeSunny
10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Wicked (PS Congrats to Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs for naming their son something normal ie. Walker!)
Rent (Broadway cast NOT the movie, which I realize were a lot of the same actors, but still. This was the soundtrack of my college years. . . . .I was coming out then.)
Les Mis
Any Cirque du Soleil soundtrack for "background noise". I love their music for just around the house or when driving and I have to really "think" about something.
Notre Dame de Paris (a French musical)

marie
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM
"A Year With Frog and Toad" (best kids musical EVER!)

"Mary Poppins"

I'm in a production of the musical "Working" right now and DD1 keeps asking to play that.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

elektra
10-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Rent (So looking forward to any Rent performances on Glee!)
Sound of Music
I kinda like Mamma Mia too but FIL is a huge Abba fan and I feel weird about liking anything that he does (my own hangup).

MMMommy
10-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack!

shawnandangel
10-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I like:

RENT - obviously not with kiddos in the car.
The Lion King
Aida
Les Miserables
Miss Saigon

I'm a musical junkie. I'll stop now with one edit. :bag

dcmom2b3
10-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Mama Mia!!

However, also big fans of Philadelphia Chickens & Rhinocerous Tap. Yes, I realize these are not what you were looking for, but they are like musicals! And they don't suck!

M-H, you may really like the Philadelphia Chickens!

Well, I did a quick google, and I have to say that any cd with a track entitled "Jump rope jive" is a keeper in my book! Here's to the chickens, may they be free to leave Philly soon (if they so wish).

wellyes
10-04-2009, 08:21 AM
For the people who like Mamma Mia and Rent, consider Chess. It's on PBS now in concert. It was written by the same Abba guys who did Mamma Mia (with Tim Rice from Disney movies / Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals) and starring Adam Pascal and Idina Menzel (Roger and Maureen from Rent). This is the musical that "One Night in Bangkok" came from, but that's just one of the really good songs from the musical.

He's a very smart Prince,
He's a Prince who prepares.
Knowing this time I'd run from him,
He spread pitch on the stairs...
Awwwwwwwwww man! Now I'm going to have that in my head all day.

Momit
10-04-2009, 10:19 AM
The Sound of Music is definitely #1 - yodel-ay-HEE-hoo!

I also LOVE Grease (with Olivia Newton-John)

Then there's Phantom of the Opera and Miss Saigon

My favorite recent movie soundtrack is 50 First Dates, with covers of a bunch of 80s songs

MmeSunny
10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
For the people who like Mamma Mia and Rent, consider Chess. It's on PBS now in concert. It was written by the same Abba guys who did Mamma Mia (with Tim Rice from Disney movies / Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals) and starring Adam Pascal and Idina Menzel (Roger and Maureen from Rent). This is the musical that "One Night in Bangkok" came from, but that's just one of the really good songs from the musical.

Awwwwwwwwww man! Now I'm going to have that in my head all day.

OHH, yes. I must second this version of Chess. If I could only listen to Idina Menzel for the rest of my life, I don't think I'd really mind THAT much. . . . .

"What if nobody's on nobooooodyyyy's side" Love her!

elizabethkott
10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I still really love Guys and Dolls. I used to sing "Bushel and a Peck" to DS during midnight feedings when he was a peanut. Sigh.

deannanb
10-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I really do love Chess!

lmintzer
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Love Chess! "Everybody's playin' the game--but nobody's rules are the same" (name that song).

Love Miss Saigon, and had Les Miserables memorized at one time (my poor parents--my brother and I used to sing the score on long card trips).

wendibird22
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Too many to name! I'm a huge musical junky.
But the top of my list is: Les Mis, Secret Garden, Guys and Dolls (the original, not the revival), Rent, Kiss of the Spider Woman, and Tommy.

DrSally
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Rent
Rush
Garden State

To me, a good soundtrack is one in which I like all the songs and they hold together well.

ETA: How could I forget Moulin Rouge (I have both versions)