PDA

View Full Version : Best kids toys around $10? Unique? Open-ended?

firsttimemama
10-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm just brainstorming kids toys that I can give for the holidays. I'd like to stick around $10 per kid (except for my godchildren, maybe)

I'd like them to be cheap, but not junk. Does that make sense? That's why I put open-ended.. open-ended.. like.. useful. Not a crap piece of plastic that will be forgotten in 2 days, junk up their parents' house, etc.

I know it's a tall order.

So far this is the only idea I have (and it's a little over, more like $15)
Kids cape:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31953058

infomama
10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
How old are the kids? My dds are 2 and 6 and they play with playdough almost every day....cheap, fun and inspires creativity. Add some plastic cookie cutters and a wooden 'rolling pin' (can be a thick wooden dowel) and they are set.
Our Ikea igloo gets lots of play, too http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30073090

firsttimemama
10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
that tent is a great idea!
I think a lot of the kids I know already have one though..

We've got kids on our list anywhere from age 1 to like age .. 10
But most are in the range of .. 2-4 yrs

brittone2
10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Books (Kohls has hardbacked Laura Numeroff books right now for $5 each...nice for budget shopping IMO).

Felt playfood from Etsy (wouldn't be able to get a LOT for the price, but we love our chenillechef ice cream cones and they were pretty reasonably priced. Although someone recently mentioned her shop was temporarily closed down recently).

Play doh definitely! My kids love playdoh. ITA w/ PP about pairing with some plastic cookie cutters or a rolling pin or something from the dollarstore maybe to round it out.

Sometimes you can find CDs for that price (maybe eeking up toward $15 realistically).

art supplies (use 40% off coupons from AC Moore or Michaels to stretch your $$ a bit). Do a Dot style markers or the knockoffs can be had for that price I think.

Sometimes you can find games like Memory for around that price or a little less even...especially w/ Black Friday deals, etc.

I've seen nice 24 piece wooden M&D puzzles in a frame type of base for about $10-11. My DD is 2.5 and looooooves puzzles right now.

hillview
10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
There are some super items here for <10.
http://www.maukilo.com/categories/haba-toys-369/haba-clearance-401/1.html

/hillary

infomama
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Just thought of this...bag of play balls. If they have a pop up play tent these are great fun. May be able to find them on sale but here they are on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Intex-49600EP-100-pcs-Ballz/dp/B000066SW0/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_b

KrisM
10-03-2009, 08:19 PM
How about a cape? http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5058462. My kids use playsilks for them, but I might get one of these for them for Christmas.

Or, a set of playsilks and break them up for the kids?

ett
10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Homegoods regularly carries Melissa and Doug floor puzzles for around $8. AC Moore also carries them and you can use the 40%/50% off coupons. Those would make great gifts for the 2-4 year old range.

How about some markers/crayons with a coloring book or sketch pad.

AC Moore has the Safari Toobs for $7. Makes it really cheap with a coupon.

To get the most for your money, I would either look at Michaels/AC Moore or Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Tuesday Morning. Michaels/AC Moore have a nice selection of kids toys and arts and crafts stuff. You can easily find something under $10 with their coupons. Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc. carry a lot more toys during this time of year for the holidays.

vonfirmath
10-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Duplos/LEgos can also be found for under $10. And find a buy 2 get 3rd free and you can make your money spread farther too.

Melaine
10-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I like this thread.:thumbsup:

I would love to make the capes or dye playsilks for the nieces and nephews but not sure that is going to happen.

brittone2
10-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Back to add o-ball and gertie balls :)

2nding the silks, especially if you dye them yourself. They can be a cape, they can be used for pretend play (water, grass, etc. for animals to eat), you name it. If you are doing a bunch of gifts for family it would lower the cost per gift since you'd be offsetting shipping costs. However, silks are something that may not be appreciated by all kinds of families initially, kwim?

ourbabygirl
10-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm going to add craft kits to the list. I know some moms hate when their kids get them as gifts, but some kids are really into them (I would have been as a kid). They're definitely open-ended as far as decorating them...
At Michael's a couple days ago I saw all sorts of things-
design-your-own birdhouses/ feeders,
model cars/ boats/ dinosaurs/ etc.
jewelry kits
pottery wheel stuff
design-your-own mugs, flower planters, etc.
other stuff I can't remember right now. They were all in an aisle together.

Lots for around $10 or less, plus with a coupon it brings the price down. :)

DrSally
10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
playsilk, special cup, like Contigo mug,