PDA

View Full Version : booster for second car

tribecamom
10-03-2009, 07:05 PM
DD 7.2 (48 inches, 63 pounds) is harnessed in the car she usually rides in a Frontier and she still has shoulder room in that one, although she is itching to get out
'
in dad's car she is in a nautilus which she is just about out of by shoulder height

I need a HBB for car pool spare seat etc...should I go with the new Britax safeguard as the permanent in dad's car seat and use the nautilus as a hbb for carpools, rentals when a car is in the shop etc? I am thinking within a few months the anti-submarine clip will be available for her frontier and I will switch her to a booster in our main car ?

I am thinking the safeguard even thought I love the concept of the clek oobr because I assume the Anti sub clip adds to the safety, but I love the latch concept and the Paul frank designs

She is well behaved and we have new cars with side curtain airbags if that makes a differnece

Joolsplus2
10-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I think the main thing you need is a lighter seat that's easier to tote around from car to car, no? The Clek weighs a ton...so does the Nautilus and Frontier, pretty much. The Vivo or Vivo Lite are nice (and way cheap, but getting kind of old, I don't think they've made new ones since 07, hence the clearance pricing...). The LATCH is also fantastic, but will it be feasible in others' cars? Or if the Nautilus really doesn't seem to be toooo heavy, then test out her fit in it as a booster (it tends to ride too high on the abdomen, which you don't want to risk for even a short trip with friends)...if it fits fine and isn't too heavy, then yeah, use it in the carpool situation.

Uh...was that an answer? lol.

tribecamom
10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
IOr if the Nautilus really doesn't seem to be toooo heavy, then test out her fit in it as a booster (it tends to ride too high on the abdomen, which you don't want to risk for even a short trip with friends)...if it fits fine and isn't too heavy, then yeah, use it in the carpool situation.

I take it you don't love the Nautilus as a booster?

are there pictures somewhere of what to look for in a proper fitting booster?

Joolsplus2
10-04-2009, 02:49 PM
It just depends on if it fits...some kids, it's right up on the abdomen/above on top of/above the waistband of their pants (bad..and ironically how they show it on their own pictures on the box...ugh...), and some kids it's down low touching the thighs (good). IIHS has a nice basic page... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/child_restraints/default.html

bubbaray
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
For what you describe, I'd look into someone cheap that fits most kids well -- the Graco TurboBooster.

tribecamom
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
so go with the britax parkway booster for our car and the turbo booster for carpooling and give the nautilus to my nanny for her 5 yo?

:)

bubbaray
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I really really love our Monterey, but wouldn't want to use it for carpooling -- pretty heavy, bulky.

I would definitely check out the Monterey to compare with the PW for your primary use vehicle.

robinsmommy
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I got a vivo from Diapers.com for $85, using their price match policy. Albee baby had them for $79 in midnight desert, they add the shipping to the match. And mine has a recent manufacture date, ('09) so no issues there.

Just another option.