PDA

View Full Version : PSA- Check your DCs blankets!

LarsMal
10-04-2009, 08:34 AM
DS woke up around 1:30 this morning. I was just falling asleep when I heard him cry out for DH (usually he just comes into our room if he wakes up). DH went in to check on him and then I heard him yell. I jumped up thinking maybe DS had thrown up or something, but when I saw DH he was in the kitchen trying to find scissors.

DS was standing at the door to his room wrapped in thread from the big fleece blanket he was sleeping with last night. I don't know what woke him up initially, but I'm pretty sure he didn't leave his room b/c he *couldn't*. The blanket was still on his bed, and he was at the door- about 10 feet from the bed. I think he got the door, and the weight of the blanket, attached to the thread, stopped him. It was all over him. It was even around...gasp...his neck. Completely freaked me out.

Luckily he was fine, and thankfully we were still sort of awake and my Mommy Ears were working.

Just a reminder to check those blankets, though. So scary!

set81616
10-04-2009, 08:37 AM
wow, i'm glad he's ok. That must have been scary.
Shannon

Melaine
10-04-2009, 08:37 AM
OMG! That is terrifying. I hope he wasn't too scared although I'm sure you and DH about had a heart attack! Was it thread from around the edge of the blanket? I'm trying to figure out where it came from on a fleece blanket....

SO scary!

LarsMal
10-04-2009, 08:58 AM
OMG! That is terrifying. I hope he wasn't too scared although I'm sure you and DH about had a heart attack! Was it thread from around the edge of the blanket? I'm trying to figure out where it came from on a fleece blanket....

SO scary!

It's this huge Cubs fleece blanket with a sturdy ribbon-type trim around it. The trim had pulled away so it was a string/thread from the trim part, not the actual blanket, but still attached to the whole big blanket.

I was freaking out, but staying calm for him b/c he wasn't upset. I think he was really confused- still half asleep. DH cut it off, I got a different blanket, and he went right back to sleep. I, of course, couldn't fall asleep- thinking of all the what-ifs. :(

Fairy
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Yikes! Glad he's ok! DS's favorite blankie has several loose threads from the knit. Good idea to go check them.

mamicka
10-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow - glad he's OK! How scary for you!

SnuggleBuggles
10-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Yikes!! Thanks for the warning. I'll check today.

Beth

elizabethkott
10-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, that's scary! Glad he's okay, and I'll be checking blankets and sheets today, just in case.

EllasMum
10-04-2009, 11:21 AM
DD has a blanket that has a sort of nylon piping/trim around the outside of the blanket. I noticed that a part of it had come loose and was sort of like a loop hanging onto the blanket. I put the blanket aside and promptly forgot about it. Luckily, it is not a blanket DD usually sleeps with, but after your post, I will go and cut off that trim.

Thanks for posting - glad your DS is ok!!

Ceepa
10-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Yikes. That's scary.

liz
10-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for telling us! That must have been so scary. It reminds me of DS2. When he was 9 months- 1 year old, he slept with his halo sleepsack and just one stuffed animal, his "bear". Anyway, the bear seemed safe enough, nothing loose (like plastic eyes, nose etc), but it did have thread sewed onto its paws (like a small loop) to mimic individual toes. One day during nap, he started screaming out of nowhere and when I got there, I noticed that one of the threads had completely wrapped itself around one of his fingertips, turning it purple. I cut it off quickly, and he was just fine, but boy, was I freaked out. I have also heard of this happening to babies with strands of hair. Just one more thing to worry about as a parent.....

Melaine
10-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I have also heard of this happening to babies with strands of hair. Just one more thing to worry about as a parent.....

Yep, the hair tourniquet thing happened with DD2. It was really weird and scary, I never would have thought it would happen.

fauve01
10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
... that one of the threads had completely wrapped itself around one of his fingertips, turning it purple. I cut it off quickly, and he was just fine, but boy, was I freaked out. I have also heard of this happening to babies with strands of hair. Just one more thing to worry about as a parent.....

DD did this at preschool at age 4 with a small bow that was sewn onto her shirt. she was distracted listening to the story nd put her finger into the loop and twisted it -- so much her finger turned purple! poor DD was traumatized and now, almost 2 years later, will still not wear a shirt with a bow!

OP, sorry happened to your DS! i hope *you* will be able to sleep OK tonight.:grouphug:

Anne + DD 10-3

DrSally
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
OMG!! Thank yor for the reminder. We have a lot of those fleece blankets and they do tend to run threads.

KpbS
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
So glad your mommy ears were working and DS is alright! :hug: