PDA

View Full Version : Infant car seat that fully reclines?

JennnnS
10-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi,

Are there any infant car seats that will fully recline to a flat position (for when baby is not in a car)?

We will be in a small apt in NYC for the first few months, so are looking for the simplest/least amount of baby equipment possible until we move. We'd like to get just an infant car seat and a snap 'n go type stroller frame (but don't want to do this unless the car seat will fully recline - the main use will be walking around town and I've read that it is better for newborns to be lying flat).

Thanks for your help!

Jen

Joolsplus2
10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Nope :(. Infant seats in the car or in the snap n go are more or less at a 45 degree angle all the time. It's not *ideal*, but if you mix it up with lots of 'in arm' time or a ring sling (which is a very adjustable, light, folds to almost nothing option), then baby will get lots of variety (to prevent oxygen desaturation, but also torticollis and plagiocephaly). Alternatively, look for a small light stroller that reclines flat for a newborn and takes a carseat, like the Baby Jogger City Mini (or Micro, but I'm not sure if that reclines flat). Try the stroller board for more light/flat recline options :)

sadie427
10-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I found the snap-n-go most helpful for trips in and out of the car, but in NYC I imagine you'd be walking places directly from the apartment. Also the snap-n-go would be sort of a nightmare on public transportation. If you are going to only have one stroller, I'd get an umbrella-fold stroller w/ a recline, or a BJCM as the PP suggested.

GraceH
10-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Check out the Graco Mosaic or Peg Perego Si instead of the snap&go, depending on your budget. (I've been very happy with the Mosaic) Also on the issue of space-saving, we liked the Graco SnugGlider Swing Frame, which has a much smaller footprint than traditional swings & folds for storage.

tiapam
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
I found the snap-n-go most helpful for trips in and out of the car, but in NYC I imagine you'd be walking places directly from the apartment. Also the snap-n-go would be sort of a nightmare on public transportation. If you are going to only have one stroller, I'd get an umbrella-fold stroller w/ a recline, or a BJCM as the PP suggested.

The Combi Flash wouldn't be too bad, it has a tri-fold and a carry strap and is only about 10 lbs. Not fun when also carrying an infnt in a carseat, but definitely doable. Or one of the Combi strollers that has the trifold. It would take up the least amount of space in the apartment and be easy to carry up and down stairs when folded.

Joolsplus2
10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Oooh, good idea on the Combi, those are very small and light and lie flat and have a bassinet making foot flap. The Cosmo takes the Shuttle carseat which is very light and has the anti-rebound bar on the seat, so it's probably very easy to get a good installation without a base, if going in a taxi or friend's car.

codex57
10-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Infants can't roll over for quite some time. It's not that huge a deal. We stick DD all over the place.

Just lay a blanket down with a small pillow (pillow not that necessary) wherever it's convenient. Sofa, floor, ottoman, adult bed, etc. If you're worried they can roll a bit, just put pillows or soemthing next to them.

JennnnS
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the ideas! That helps a lot, and I will kick off my lightweight stroller research...

Best,
Jen