PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have PMDD?

MamaKath
10-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I am trying to get more info about PMDD. How did you know it was not "just pms"? What type of a doctor do you see for treatment? What kind of treatment? Is it successful?

DH approached me recently concerned that my pms is more. Looking for info...
TIA~

DrSally
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Argh, just lost my post. The crux was, do you feel like it's interferring with your life? If it is, go get an eval from your doc or a psychologist. Even your primary or OB should have a quick screening instrument and do an interview that should let you know if you need to see a psychological professional. You may also want to go straight to a psychologist, as some primaries are not great at detecting and treating depression. FWIW, PMDD is a controversial dx, but if you're having sx that are interferring with your functioning or relationships, then that's something to get checked out. HTH!

MamaKath
10-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Argh, just lost my post. The crux was, do you feel like it's interferring with your life?
Thanks for responding Sally! I called the doctor today. I can't get in for awhile, but think it is the right direction to be heading.

DrSally
10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Good to hear you have an appt. Maybe keep a diary of what sx your having and when, and that should help at your appt.

HIU8
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I feel like I probably have PMDD. I basically have massive mood swings that last 3 weeks (as in I sometimes feel completely out of control) and I get a lot of other symptoms that you would normally have about a week before your AF, but they last all month except for 3 or 4 days while AF is here. My OB put me on Loestrin 24 and it seems to be helping (although I'm not crazy about being on the pill long term. I'm actually going to be discussing it with my OB soon b/c while I like the predictability of the pill, I really don't want to stay on it).