PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from 2 to 1 nap?

twowhat?
10-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Any suggestions on how to do this in the least painful way? One of my girls is showing signs of dropping that 2nd nap. I can't function if they don't nap on the same schedule (at least just going down at the same time - they can wake at separate times) so I will probably just start switching to 1 nap a day. Right now they nap for about 30-45 min each at 10am and 2:30pm. Today one of them skipped the 10am nap and I put her down at 1:45pm (after we finished a late lunch). Curious as to how other people's babies adjusted... Wondering if I should make this change now or wait until after the end of daylight savings (yet another thing to have to deal with!)

Melaine
10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
How old are they? Those naps sound short to me, meaning maybe you could do a middle day one and actually get longer sleep out of it. I would try one nap at 1:00 for a couple days and see if it works for you. ITA to keep them on the same schedule. If one is ready to drop a nap, then they both need to (at least that was true for us). I also totally understand the daylight savings thing, it can totally throw you for a loop!! Hope you get your schedule back under control again soon.

Momof3Labs
10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
When my boys dropped down to one nap, the one nap moved up during the day to around 11:30 or noon. I'd feed them a light lunch before they went down, and a snack when they woke up. It gradually moved to one long afternoon nap over time.

twowhat?
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Our naps are definitely pretty short. I'm lucky to get an hour from either of them in one nap. But I think it's because they sleep a solid 11 hours at night, which works well for us so I don't mind the short naps. I'm guessing I'll be lucky to get 1.5 or 2 hours out of them if I move to one nap...but I bet it's easier to plan outings if I only have to deal with one nap!

la mama
11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I didn't see this when it was first posted but now I wish there was more here. I'm in this situation right now. I'm wondering how you kept your twins occupied to push the morning nap back a little later. I'm not entertaining enough anymore. Any ideas?

neeleymartin
11-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Our naps are definitely pretty short. I'm lucky to get an hour from either of them in one nap. But I think it's because they sleep a solid 11 hours at night, which works well for us so I don't mind the short naps. I'm guessing I'll be lucky to get 1.5 or 2 hours out of them if I move to one nap...but I bet it's easier to plan outings if I only have to deal with one nap!

how old are they?

twowhat?
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Ha, this post is "old" now...but here's the current situation. They are 14 months old. They still take 2 naps a day, they REALLY seem to need it most days. On the days that they happen to skip their morning nap (meaning: protest for 30 minutes in their cribs), they will fall asleep on a dime (meaning: while eating lunch!!). So, I have kept the 2 naps for now.

The stupid time change screwed us all up. They used to sleep from 8pm until 6:30 or 7pm. Now they sleep from 8 or 8:20 pm until 6am! I know that's still a reasonable amount of nighttime sleep so I'm not complaining, I guess. They nap at 10am for 30 min-1hr and then again at 2:30 pm for 30 min-1hr. But one of my twins wakes up from the pm nap SUPER CRANKY. As in, she will scream for an hour if I am not actively holding her and walking around the house. I don't have the energy to do this, so I lay in bed with her, and just let her cry. When she's done with her 1 hr screamfest, she starts playing as if nothing happened. UGH.

I know that in BB there's a pretty big range of ages for dropping down to 1 nap (12-21 months) so I'm not in a hurry but I do sometimes wonder whether changing to 1 nap will help with that crankiness.