PDA

View Full Version : Ski gear? Help! (long)

bubbaray
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Any skiing moms out there? Help!

OK, so I'm getting some new ski gear this season. I haven't skied in 6 seaons, what with being PG and nursing and looking after little people. I used to be an advanced skier (according to DH), though I'm not very aggresive. Now, given my "vacation" from skiing, I'd say I'm intermediate, but DH disagrees.

According to DH, I need new skis and new bindings. My old skis & bindings are Solomon. DH says I need shaped skis and I confess, I don't have a clue what those are nor why I need them. Something about them turning easier? He wants me to get the Rossignol Attraxion VI (http://www.rossignol.com/CG/attraxion-vi-casual_RA9LG03_product_ski-women-skis-all-mountain.html). Its an expert ski -- eek!

I also need a new jacket and pants. I was thinking North Face for these (but am open to other brands). I like the Scary Cherry jacket (http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/The-North-Face-Scary-Cherry-Jacket-Womens/TNF3483M.html) (in turquoise or possibly orchid) IRL and the Freedom Pants (http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/The-North-Face-Freedom-Pant-Womens/TNF1258M.html)(which also come in long, which I need). DH wants me to get the Freedom pants in the shell version (he has them), I was thinking insulated, but he says I don't need that (will be at Whistler and similar-climate hills).

I could also use some new gloves and ski socks (but they must have NO wool as I'm allergic to wool). And if anyone has some helmet reco's, that'd be great too as I'm the only one in the family without one!

So, yeah, I need: skis, bindings, jacket, pants, new gloves, socks and helmet.

Help! I'm a pretty good shopper, but am completely clueless when it comes to ski stuff. In the past, I just let DH buy the gear, but I'm thinking he's over-estimating my ski ability now and I'll end up with skis I won't like. I really just want an easy ski for groomed runs. No moguls, no powder. If they did well in icy conditions, that is great (though my current skis rock on ice and there's nothing wrong with them).

I have Rossignol boots I quite like, and various accessories from past seasons (turtlenecks, long underwear, etc). But, my old ski clothes are a lot of handmedowns from DH and, frankly, I'm over the "grunge" look. I wanna look half-way decent on the hill now, especially as I won't be impressing anyone with my technique or speed anymore, LOL! Most of this season, I'll be skiing with DD#1 anyway (DH will be teaching DD#2).

Help! More particularly, help me spend DH's money -- he's footin' the bill and, trust me, this is a rare occurrance in our household (he's not one to offer to buy me anything).

hobie
10-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I love to ski!!! I used to race in my high school days, on the old style skis. You will love shaped skis!!!! They are sooo much easier to turn than the old style. Really forgiving for a return to skiing skiier, like yourself. I haven't shopped for skis for a while, but the Rossi's look nice.

Do go with the shell pants. The key is layering. On cold days, you can have thermals and fleece pants on under the shell. On warm days, maybe just thermals (DH only wears boxers). Waterproof, but still breathable wonderful. My pants are Patagonia. My jacket varries on weather conditions (but we live in CA, so it's rarely super cold). Again, layering will keep you comfy.

For the helmet, I like mine that has a vent that you can open and close (again, skiing in CA can be warm :) ). Make sure that your goggles fit with the helmet; you don't want goggle gap.

I love my SmartWool socks, so no help there.

You do want breathable gloves.

Have fun shopping!

katydid1971
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't know specifics about skis, I would go to a god ski shop and talk to the people there. I use to be a very agressive skier and now I prefer groomed runs like you. I ski a much shorter and softer ski than I use to and I really like shaped skis, they really do make turning, and the whole day easier. For the clothes I would go in someplace and try stuff on. I'm a little plump and things don't fit me like they do the models ;) You should have no problem finding wool free gloves etc. As far as a helmet goes again I would go to a b&m store and have it fit for you to be safest. I haven't used one but am going to get one this year (I also haven't skied in a few years because of either being pg or 24/7 nursing) Since the death on Natalia Richardson I decided that its better to be safe than sorry.

ryanmom
10-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Go with the expert skis- the shaped skis make it much easier. You'll definitely be able to pick it back up and quickly. If you are nerovus, I'd suggest demo-ing a couple of versions before taking the plunge and buying. You can also get a better handle on how shaped you want them and what length feels the most comfortable for you. Usually resorts will have demo days early in the season. Make sure you try them out on a variety of terrain and for at least a 4-5 runs. Sometimes you can get a great deal if you demo a set and then buy them.
With the shaped skis, you'll want to go with a shorter ski. I used to have really long straight skis (I'm only 5'3 and skied on 190s) but with shaped skis, I ski on 165s. The new shaped skis are a lot easier to control. I have Rossis and love them.
You may want to take a lesson or two because you ski on them slightly diifferently- I did so when I switched and found it really helpful.
I also recommend the North Face pants you picked out- I use those and love them. In cold days, I wear Hot Chillis under them. On warm days, I just wear the pants. I get cold and I usually ski in the Northeast so I have the insulated ones. I wear a North Face Shell as well- usually I layer a North Face fleece under it but the jacket you linked to looked more insulated. I wear my shell pretty much all year as a rain jacket/shell. I also wear the fleece pretty much all winter- it is one of those wind resistant ones. I bought both like five years ago now and I still wear them all the time- North Face products are expensive but last.
I love skiing with a helmet- it is totally worth the money. I use a giro- not sure which model. I wear like a fleece neck and hat thing underneath- it has a face hole- it keeps my head toasty. I click my goggles into my helmet so definitely bring your goggles with you when you are looking at helmets. Some helmets even have ipod hookups if you are into music whille you ski- I prefer to just listen to the sound of the snow:)
Enjoy the slopes- such a great activity to do with your kids...

tylersmama
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Head on over to the forums at www.theskidiva.com. The women there know more about gear than anyone I've ever met, and especially about women's gear. They really are an amazing resource.

The best thing you can do for skis is demo. But make sure your boots are good, first. Even if you think they're ok, it's worth taking them to a good bootfitter to make sure that they really are working well. It doesn't matter how good your skis are if your boots are no good.

Any helmet is fine really, it's just the one that fits your head. You really need to try helmets on, if possible. I have a Giro as well, and like it. Definitely make sure your goggles will fit with your helmet.

bubbaray
10-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks ladies! I will check out that link -- that's great!

Yup, my boots are (were?) top of the line Rossi's, fit at a pro shop. I am loathe to get new ones as finding the right ones took a while, KWIM?

That's a good idea to demo them. Duh. Should have thought about that.

I'm still torn about the insulated pants vs the shell ones. I do layer, but I know for the next few years with the kids, it will be a lot of slooooow runs on the hills. Then again, I'm a fair weather skiier so its not like I'm gonna be out there when its crazy cold either. Waterproof gear is more important here than insulated anyway.

Huh, I have a lot of fleeces and my current "ski" jacket is basically a goretex shell over various fleeces. I just wanted a "proper" ski jacket. I like the pattern of that one I linked to. Too bad its not in a shell. DH thinks I'm nuts to get an insulated jacket. Maybe I should rethink that. Definitely gotta get a new pair of pants, though. Mine are his old ones. Gotta ditch THAT look, LOL.

bubbaray
10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to add. DH is an instructor. Had better be giving me some tips on the new boards, LOL.

StantonHyde
10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I love, love my Columbia ski pants which are lightly insulated. It is COLD here in SLC in the mountains, so I like to have that. I also got a Columbia jacket that the fleece part zips out of so for spring skiing I can just wear the shell. (and I have worn just shell running pants before when it got warm)

I checked out Ski (or Skiing) magazines reccos last year and then went to a good ski shop. It was NOT cheap but I needed new gear and someone to walk me through it. I LOVE my shaped skis--so awesome and really great for an intermediate skiier like me. Boots are so personal. I did get the kind that you can shape the footbeds which I like. I do have women's skis and boots and I really like them better than the men's versions. IMO poles are nothing to spend lots of money on, but I suppose there might be reasons you would want to--I just have basic ones from Rossi. I would just go to the shop. I don't want skis that are going to be hard to maneuver or squirrely all over the place because they are built for speed. Plus you are going to be skiing with the girls, how many expert slopes are you going to hit? Go for the intermediate skis etc and trade up in a few years.

I have these great socks by Cole Sports (the shop where I got the skis) that are really thin and work great.

I hit REI (so MEC for you) for hats and gloves etc. I usually use mid-weight long undies (REI), and a fleece for really cold days. And I love, love, love my Turtle Fur neck gaiter. I have cheap goggles because I hate skiing when it is snowing (we are sooooo spoiled here) and I usually just use my sunglasses.

StantonHyde
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Forgot--I just got a basic helmet from REI--this is totally a must have.