PDA

View Full Version : New wedding gift thread: what is your go-to gift?

jent
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
OK, I am having total "giver's block" for a friends upcoming wedding. Actually for two upcoming weddings. For one I am contemplating a gift off the registry, but am now thinking it's not generous enough and I don't know how to pad it, and for the other, a gift card (no registry). I liked BelleoftheBall's go-to gift (the Vermont bowl) but I'm not sure it's friend A's style and it's definitely not friend B's.

My other idea for friend A is a Giftybox; she would like that sort of thing.

So, any other ideas? Help me out!

inmypjs
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
This probably isn't the kind of help you were hoping for, but I only buy off the registry or give gift cards or cash. The only exception to this was for DH's sisters. (For them we purchased gift/s off the registry in addition to having their wedding invitations matted and framed.) I see the registry as a priority list of what they truly want/need. I've also heard from many people getting married and having babies that they wish people would just buy what they registered for, instead of giving them other things. So even if it doesn't seem exciting to me, that's what I do.

connor_mommy
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Usually cash.

hbridge
10-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Lately we've been on a waffle maker kick. Usually a waffle maker with mixing bowls, spatuala, waffle mix, ect...

TwinFoxes
10-05-2009, 07:29 AM
What is wrong with a gift off the registry? I don't get it. You know they want it, why stress trying to get them something else? We actually got some gifts that weren't off the registry that we liked, so I'm not slamming the idea. I just don't think people should stress about "having" to get a gift off the registry. If there's nothing on there that fits your budget, gift + gift card is great too!

Lately we've been on a waffle maker kick. Usually a waffle maker with mixing bowls, spatuala, waffle mix, ect...

This is nice, if you know for a fact they A) don't have a waffle maker and B) like to cook waffles. I got a waffle maker as a birthday gift several years ago. Very nice Williams-Sonoma one. I'm sure my sister-in-law is putting it to good use. I gave it to her since I've never cooked waffles in my life. (I was single at the time and barely knew where my kitchen was...now I'd probably give it a try.)

ETA: What's a "giftybox?"

egoldber
10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
What is wrong with a gift off the registry? I don't get it. You know
they want it, why stress trying to get them something else?

I agree. My go to gift is something off the registry in my price range. If there is nothing in my price range, then I buy a gift at the same store with a gift receipt (so basically cash for them to use as they please at that store).

caleymama
10-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Usually a registry gift.

I'll sometimes add something else in addition to the registry gift (from the same store/website) that coordinates. For example, for one of DH's friends we gave them the spice rack they registered for and I added in some sea salt and fancy pepper (this was @ Williams Sonoma, IIRC).

In another thread I posted about being stumped on what to get my younger sister and her new husband. I ended up with something from etsy. I normally would stick to a registry gift or $$, but I knew the boxes of registry gifts were piling up in my parents garage and I had given them that kind of stuff for her bridal shower and recent holidays so I wanted to do something different and more personal. In their case, their household was pretty much set and they have the means to get whatever they want whenever they want, hence my search for something else. That was an exceptional situation for me, though.

We still use many, if not most, of our registry gifts but we also got some fantastic stuff that was NOT a registry item. We were young when we got married and did not have an established household (I was 1 year out of college and in grad school), so we needed a lot of basic stuff. Either way, I was happy.

FWIW (and I know this is more for a different thread, just haven't had a chance to post there yet!), we usually spend in the $50-$100 range on a gift. Just plain old can't spend more. So it's usually a moderately priced registry gift + something fun & coordinating to "pad" it.

Jen841
10-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I so the registry, but sometimes they are just too picked over. Depending on the person here are some alternates.

I like to get towels from the registry then have them monogrammed. Monogrammed beach towels are fun too.

I also get monogrammed glasses (at least 8) from Sterling Cut Glass. They have good deals. I also like their ice bucket that makes for a nice gift with a silver plated ice scoop (I have found at Macy's). No one complains about crystal, and I confess to loving seeing our joint monogram.

Waterford or Tiffany candlesticks or vase of no registry some times. I see it as splurge most won't do themselves and they will remember who gave it to them.

Tiffany beer pilsners or Waterford is the 'go to' gift for DH's friends. The gang can drink beer out of crystal... makes cheep beer good : )

jent
10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
What is wrong with a gift off the registry? I don't get it. You know they want it, why stress trying to get them something else? We actually got some gifts that weren't off the registry that we liked, so I'm not slamming the idea. I just don't think people should stress about "having" to get a gift off the registry. If there's nothing on there that fits your budget, gift + gift card is great too!

They have a very small registry, and it is pretty picked over. There is one item that is $50, but I would like to spend more and think how to round it out. This is probably what I will do.

The other couple does not have a registry, so I will probably give cash/gift card. I always feel... not crass, but I can't think of a better word...about giving cash. Like, I would like to be generous without the amount being so obvious.

Check out Giftybox.com, it's a gift certificate for an "experience". Interesting. Gave one to my dad & stepmom who have "everything" and don't need more money.

TwinFoxes
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
They have a very small registry, and it is pretty picked over. There is one item that is $50, but I would like to spend more and think how to round it out. This is probably what I will do.

The other couple does not have a registry, so I will probably give cash/gift card. I always feel... not crass, but I can't think of a better word...about giving cash. Like, I would like to be generous without the amount being so obvious.

Check out Giftybox.com, it's a gift certificate for an "experience". Interesting. Gave one to my dad & stepmom who have "everything" and don't need more money.

Ah, I see. :) We ended up adding stuff to our registry when it started looking "picked over." So you might want to check back. It shocked me how much stuff we got for our wedding, because we got gifts from people who weren't invited, or who were invited but declined, which we weren't expecting.

lorinick
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not much help. We also give cash. I purchase a gift off the registry for a bridal shower, but not the wedding. Except one friend we bought a knife set, that they asked for.

AnnieW625
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
99% of the time I prefer to shop off registries and when the pickings get slim I get creative.

I really like to do a place setting or two of everyday china, baking items with recipe cards, or a place setting for two that includes two placemats, two napkins, and two place settings of their everyday silverware, wine glasses if they aren't too expensive. The napkins, placemats, and wine glasses are usually about $30 total (if that...Bed Bath and Beyond has amazingly cheap prices on that stuff) and then the silverware is the most expensive part, but I have done that for under $75. For my matron of honor at her wedding I spent just over $100 and added two dinner plates from her everyday china pattern.

I have also recently come to love this ceramics line called Heath Ceramics, it's all mid century modern type stuff and it's not cheap, but it lasts forever and they have some great serving pieces for <than $50. If you know them well enough to take a clue with their colors, the style of their home, and such it might just work. I gave some to a friend who is an interior decorator and I though should get to know the line. She registered for a lot of black stuff so I ended up getting her a black serving platter.
http://www.heathceramics.com/go/heath/

FWIW, my other go to set for showers (and sometimes weddings) is the following:
2 pot holders, http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/l012/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C16%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Coven%20mitts&cm%5Fsrc=SCH
large spoonula, http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw116/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C16%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Cspoonula&cm%5Fsrc=SCH
mini spoonula, and spatula set (not on webpage)
Cost Plus and probably BBB also have some nice ones too, but I just think that Williams Sonoma does such a nice presentation on their gifts and it's just really good quality stuff.

I never do cash or gift cards either.

ged
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I also usually buy gifts off registry, and usually buy things that I think are totally worth it...for example, the bride/groom registered for 3 silpat sheets. They are $20 each, but TOTALLY worth it in my opinion. So, I got them, since I feel if they did not receive it off their registry, they may not actually spend their own money on it. Not sure if that makes sense. I added some things they did not include but I think are essential - microplane zester and a cookie scoop, plus maybe one more thing.

jent
10-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Annie, thanks for those suggestions. I love the Heath pottery-- totally my taste. I'll have to get married again.

I figured out what to do for friend A though. I looked at her Amazon registry again; she used the "Universal Registry" button to add "gift certificate to the opera" but noted that you can't actually buy a gift certificate. So, I am buying her a tote bag with the opera's logo, and then will tuck my homemade "gift certificate" inside.