PDA

View Full Version : Need new carseat for my 6 mos. old. Help!

Capitalchick
10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Hello!
My 6 month old is almost grown out of her infant carseat (sob!) and I'm looking into purchasing a new carseat that will, hopefully last her until she's out of the carseat!
I drive a Nissan X-trail.
I don't really know what questions to be asking in looking for a carseat, so any recommendations would be really helpful.
Obviously, safety is of paramount concern. Convenience is also important...something I can easily get her in and out of (I'm a small, weak mommy! LOL).
Your recommendations for good carseats would be really appreciated. Thanks everyone!

arivecchi
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I love the Britax Boulevard (no re-thread harness, infant pillow, headwings), but that only rear faces to 35 pounds. Check that one out and the Radian XT SL which rear faces to 45 pounds. That seat is brand new and will be available beginning this week.

SnuggleBuggles
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Some basic things to look for:
-one that rearfaces to a high weight (rearfacing is safest- don't turn at 1y!)
-one with a high overall weight (skip the seats that only hold 40lbs- go for one that holds 60+)
-do note that the carseat is likely to expire before you are out of your carseat years. Don't expect to be able to just buy this one more seat and be done.

I really love my Marathon by Britax. Like pp said, it does only rf till 35lbs but I am comfortable with that bt would be willing to seek out higher weight alternatives.

Beth

Joolsplus2
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
What seat is she in now, and how is she outgrowing it? (reaching the weight limit, or head within one inch of the top). Of course you can always leave the seat in the car and carry her out of it, no need to heft that extra bucket weight around.
What car do you have? What's your budget? There are tons of excellent choices, some may fit better or worse in your car, though. Do you have a Babies R Us near you to try some out? (they let you do that, just leave your license at the front desk and ask if you can take the floor model out to try).

Edit, sorry, missed your car in the first post! But I still don't know what an X-trail is...is it different from an Xterra? More or less a mid-size SUV?

:)

lorinick
10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Just adding to the pp's that this will not be your last car seat. You will need a booster after this car seat purchase. You'll want to stay away from the 3-1's out there. Not a good pick. I love the Britax BV as well. The side impact protect wings are great along with the no thread harness. And for a six month old the infant insert is great to have.

sparkeze
10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
We have DD who is 6mo in a Marathon. She used to cry in the car a LOT and now I can drive in peace! :)