PDA

View Full Version : Visited our first private school yesterday and walked out disappointed

HIU8
10-05-2009, 10:28 AM
DS is in OT. The OT recommended we look at alternatives to public school for DS (and DH and I agree) b/c of the host of DS's sensory related issues. The OT recommended a montessori school about 30 minutes from us. There was an open house yesterday so DH and I went. We came out of it thinking 1) montessori is not a environment that DS will thrive in (at least not the environment at this particular school) 2) we actually did not like the school for other reasons. Tomorrow I'm going to visit another school (not montessori). We also have two other schools we are looking at (one is montessori and waldorf mixed and one is a private school with an OT, speech language pathologist, and a classroom set up specifically for children with SID). I'm hoping to like one of the next three. Otherwise it's back to square one. Plus, we are going to find out if we can get into our public elem school soon to see what the K is really like and sit down and talk with the principle etc... about services for DS and how they feel a child with the issues he currently has would survive/thrive there.

I have to say--this is very overwhelming.

BabyMine
10-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry that the first school didn't work out but it sounds like you have more options ahead of you. Hopefully you will find one that fits all of your needs. I hope you are feeling better.

niccig
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Keep looking. We went to one school tour, and half-way through, both DH and I looked at each other and said this was the school we wanted for DS. Hopefully, one of the other schools will be the right fit.

hardysmom
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
As a child, I thrived in a Mont. school. My sister did not. By the end of 1st grade she barely knew letters and couldn't tell time, but was a champion rock washer and carrot peeler.

I think there is a certain type of kid that does well in that system. I don't think my 2 sensory kids would have done so well. Too easy to get too comfortable and to not challenge themselves. I like the low-stress approach, but it is important that they are presented with challenges so that they learn how to compensate/modify their world, you know?

For a similar reason, I wouldn't put a SID kid in a special classroom unless they were severely adverse. I think kids need a balance of quirky and non-quirky classmate to model appropriate behavior. The key is that the class size is small and that teachers understand how to work with our kids.

Just my .02

Stephanie

crl
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry the first school wasn't a good fit.

DS has sensory issues, among other things, and he has done really well in public school (in more than one actually as we've moved a couple of times with him). If your child qualifies for an IEP, the public schools are required to put necessary accommodations in place. DS has constant access to noise blocking headphones (which he rarely needs) and I know another child who has had a tent set up in the classroom for him in the past. There are also Section 504 plans, I am less familiar with those, but they also offer a means of getting accommodations in place. So I would encourage you to look at your public school as a option. It might be a better fit than you think.

Best of luck in finding a great school for your son!

Catherine

mecawa
10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry the first school wasn't a good fit.

DS has sensory issues, among other things, and he has done really well in public school (in more than one actually as we've moved a couple of times with him). If your child qualifies for an IEP, the public schools are required to put necessary accommodations in place. DS has constant access to noise blocking headphones (which he rarely needs) and I know another child who has had a tent set up in the classroom for him in the past. There are also Section 504 plans, I am less familiar with those, but they also offer a means of getting accommodations in place. So I would encourage you to look at your public school as a option. It might be a better fit than you think.

Best of luck in finding a great school for your son!

Catherine

:yeahthat:
I was a teacher in the public schools before I had DD#1 and I have to say, from what you (the OP) have said about your son, it sounds like the public schools would be your best bet. Definitely look at all of them, public and private, but when I was teaching I had a few children with the Sensory Integration issues, and I can't see why he wouldn't do well there. Plus as mentioned by the PP, they HAVE to accomodate him, it's the law. I hope you have better luck with your search!!!!