PDA

View Full Version : SoCA moms - question for you

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm looking at booking our spring break vacation in SoCA. I'm thinking we'll do 2 days in Disney, then drive down to San Diego and do one day in Legoland and one day at the Wild Animal Park.

Questions:
1) Are there any other must-see attractions in the San Diego area? DS1 will be 6.5, DS2 will be 4.5, and DD will be 5 months.
2) How close together are Legoland and Wild Animal Park (proximity and driving time)? I always laugh at how SoCA's think that 45 minutes of driving is practically nothing! (I'm from NoCA, go ahead and laugh at me!)
3) Any recommendations for what part of San Diego to book a hotel? Should we do a different hotel if Legoland and Wild Animal Park is far away from each other?

Thanks so much!
--Jennifer

AnnieW625
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
1. I much prefer the Zoo to the WAP. Much more shade and I think a lot more to do for a 6 and 4 year old, and they'll be able to see the animals more up close. I'd save the WAP for when the boys and the baby are a bit older, like 10 and 8.

2. Legoland and the WAP are about 30 to 45 minutes apart. WAP is outside of Escondido and the 78 connects the two. Legoland and the Zoo are about the same amount of time apart, maybe a little less if you get out of your hotel very early on the AM on a weekend day. Weekday traffic is horrible going south so I would do San Diego on a weekend if at all possible if you decide to go to the Zoo. I don't know about traffic on the 78 though.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33.103625&lon=-117.161&zoom=12&q1=Legoland%2C%20Carlsbad%2C%20CA&q2=15500%20San%20Pasqual%20Valley%20Road%2C%20Esco ndido

3. We last stayed at the Homewood Suites in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego (just north of La Jolla) and we really liked staying there, but I think I would stay further north in Carlsabad (esp. if going to the WAP; it's very easy to cut back over the 78 to I-5 to get back to Orange County). It's pretty equi distant between the Zoo and Legoland though and going north there is way less traffic than going south. It's about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes south of the OC Airport. Look on Trip Advisor for hotels. We also used Priceline once in 2007 and got the Hyatt in La Jolla for $85/night (however overnight parking was $20!), but unfortunately you can't pick a suite type hotel.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d543517-Reviews-Homewood_Suites_San_Diego_Del_Mar-San_Diego_California.html

We haven't been to Legoland yet, but have a few friends who have taken their almost 4 year olds in recent months and love it. I had first heard it was better for the 5 yo plus crowd, but now I think we may take our 3/1/2 year old within the next year.

kozachka
10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Now that DS is older I prefer SeaWorld over the Zoo. Maybe it's because we spent so much time at the Zoo when he was younger. Anyway, I agree with the previous post that Zoo is better than the WAP. If memory serves me well, you can visit both with the same ticket. If you do decide to go to SeaWorld and are a AAA member, be sure to bring your card, you'd get a nice discount. If not, check out Costco, they sell discounted tickets.

In terms of hotels, if you decide to go to WAP than Carlsbad would be most convenient and shorter drive from Disneyland. Otherwise I'd suggest Del Mar, which would be closer to SeaWorld and Zoo, and close to La Jolla. Be sure to budget some time for beach cities and just hanging out. It would be a shame if you just hit the park and did not get to enjoy the rest of what San Diego has to offer.

I always book hotels on Priceline or Hotwire. In your case, since you have so many DC, you'd be better off with Hotwire since Priceline only guarantees the room for 2 adults. You can pretty much figure out what hotel you are booking by checking http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=197& .

AnnieW625
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Just want to add that I still prefer the Zoo to Sea World. I first went to all three parks when I was 16 (and my brother was 13) and we both agreed that the Zoo was the best of all three of them. I have been to the zoo three other times since (twice in college at 21 or 22, and again at 25), and the WAP once in college at 22. Sea World is okay, but you can litterally do most of the park in 4 hours. We did this two years ago and had tickets where we could go back on a second day and did another 4 hours and it was perfect. They now have a new Sesame Street play area for toddlers, and we haven't been, but your 6 year old, and maybe even 4 year old might think it's too babyish.

10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I've just started doing my homework for this upcoming trip. So far, I've discovered that if I sign up DS1 for the Lego Brickmaster club, we can also get a free child admission to Legoland. So looks like that's what Santa will be bringing this year.

Seems like there's consensus for the zoo over the WAP...oh, and I forgot about SeaWorld, we should do that also!

DH and I love to eat "local" favorites (Pink's and Randy's Donuts in LA, that kind of stuff), are there any local San Diego must-eats?

--Jennifer

egoldber
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
If you do a search on WAP or Legoland, you'll find many threads. :)

I'll be the naysayer and be the one that prefers the WAP to the Zoo. ;) The Zoo is very hilly and not stroller friendly if that is a concern (IMO). Also, the zoo is after all is said and done, a zoo. There is nothing else like the WAP that I have ever seen. Get there early before it's too hot, although at this time of year that is not as much of a concern.

Seaworld is fun. When we went to SD we bought a pass and went several times, sometimes just for a couple hours. The pass paid for itself because we used it many times at other parks: Busch Gardens, Sesame Place, Seaworld Orlando, etc. We stayed in Mission Valley, very close to Seaworld, so it was very convenient.

We also enjoyed Legoland a lot. There are lots of height restrictions, so check that. Our issue was that there were a lot of rides that Sarah could do but Amy could not, so it was a bit of an issue, to put it mildly.

codex57
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I like the WAP over the Zoo too. Used to love Sea World, but it's kinda gotten downhill over the years.

ha98ed14
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
1. I much prefer the Zoo to the WAP. Much more shade and I think a lot more to do for a 6 and 4 year old, and they'll be able to see the animals more up close. I'd save the WAP for when the boys and the baby are a bit older, like 10 and 8.

:yeahthat: The San Diego Zoo is WAY better than the WAP! Plus the Zoo is in Balboa Park, which is cool to walk around. Lots of street performers and the international village is open on the weekend and it's free :) Anyway, just wanted to second that. We got down fairly often as it is within a 1.5 hour drive.

saschalicks
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
We just took the kids to the Zoo and SW last month. DS1 is 5 and DS2 is 3.5 (DD was 7 mo) and both boys agreed they liked SW better then the zoo and they ahd been to the zoo before. Have fun!

ETA: we stayed at the Ramada on Hotel Circle where the room had bunk beds and a separating door from the rest of the room, and the boys absolutely loved it.

AnnieW625
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I've just started doing my homework for this upcoming trip. So far, I've discovered that if I sign up DS1 for the Lego Brickmaster club, we can also get a free child admission to Legoland. So looks like that's what Santa will be bringing this year.

Seems like there's consensus for the zoo over the WAP...oh, and I forgot about SeaWorld, we should do that also!

DH and I love to eat "local" favorites (Pink's and Randy's Donuts in LA, that kind of stuff), are there any local San Diego must-eats?

--Jennifer

Woodstocks Pizza in the College Area (SDSU) is great, it's off College Avenue and the 8 Freeway on El Cajon Blvd. It's very kid friendly. It's about 10 min. east of the Zoo.

The Corvette Diner in Hillcrest (near Balboa Park) was a pretty popular place when I was in college. Also the City Deli was good and in the same general area.

In the Gas Lamp area (downtown) there is Dick's Last Resort, and The Kansas City BBQ (where they filmed the sleazy bar scene from Top Gun) as well as Seaport Village. Also the USS Midway is well worth a trip, your boys will love it. I'd suggest that over Sea World anyday:) (we've been twice and still haven't seen everything!)

I am not familiar with Carlsbad so I can't really help there. Good luck.

Kitten007
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Don't forget if you go to Sea World bring some wet clothes/bathing suits for them! DS1 loves playing in the water area of Sesame Street Bay of Play!!!!

Tondi G
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
we just spent 4 days in San Diego at the end of the summer. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. They did major renovations (we stayed in the tower) and have 3 waterslides in the pool area.... My kids had a blast! They also have fire pits and sell smores kits so you can do smores in the evening! They have a bagel place for an easy breakfast/coffee option before you head out for the day. We got a good AAA rate.

Carlsbad is around 30 to 40 minutes north of San Diego. I would vote for Sea World. Both of my kids really enjoyed it. They loved all the chances to feed the animals (bat rays, sea lions etc) and the shows were great too. We have a local zoo so we skipped the SD Zoo. We took our older DS to the SD Zoo when he was a toddler and just remember it being HUGE and tiring walking up all the steep hills!

Legoland is fantastic! Lots to see and do! Make sure you bring wet clothes for the water area. For discounted tickets you can visit the Costco in Carlsbad on Palomar Airport road and buy tickets for a good price!

We went to the USS Midway and while it was interesting for the boys they got tired of climbing around and the flight deck on top with the planes and helicopters was quite hot (remember this was the end of the summer). I think it would be better for slightly older kids.

as far as food goes I did some research and the list I took with me was..

Restaurants
Anthony's Fishette (fish n chips)
1360 Harbor Drive, San Diego
(619)232-2175

Phil's BBQ
3750 Sports Arena Blvd., San Diego
(619)688-0559

Pizza Nova
5120 North Harbor Dr., San Diego
(619) 226-0268

Corvette Diner
3946 5th Ave, San Diego
(619) 542-1476

Arriverderci (italian)
3845 Fourth Avenue, San Diego
(619) 299-6282

Jack & Guilio's (italian)
2391 San Diego Ave., San Diego (Old Town)
(619) 294-2074

Old Town Mexican Cafe
2489 San Diego Ave, San Diego
(619) 297-4330

Fidels's Little Mexico
607 Valley Ave, Solana Beach
(858) 755-5292

Mexican in Carlsbad~Fidel's Norte ~3003 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, (760) 729 0903

breakfast outside on the patio at Sheerwaters @ Hotel Del Coronado

Hash House a Go Go (breakfast)
3628 Fifth Ave, San Diego
(619) 298-4646

Pacific Beach there's an Pizzeria Uno that depending on the time isn't too busy and I love their pizza...Joe's Crab Shack is also close by in Pacific Beach (noisy, big menu, food ok but lots for kids to see)..if you're at Sea World it's really only 10 minutes to Mission Valley where there are tons of places, The Broken Yolk is also great for breakfast!

10-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm going to have to print this thread. Thanks for all of the help, ladies! Off to research the best prices...it's still early, but because I'm going to be on mat leave for a year, money is tight.

--Jennifer