PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Roundabout 50

mommylamb
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Ok, I apologize in advance because I know this has probably been talked to death, but for those of you who are inclined...What are your thoughts on the Roundabout 50? My parents are moving to the area (YAY!!!) and I want to buy a car seat for them to keep in their car.

I'm thinking Britax for the quality and because they're easier to install than some other seats and my mother's car doesn't have latch (and my dad drives like a maniac, so I don't want to encourage him to drive with DS). DS is on the big side (90% for height and 75% for weight at his 2 year check-up back in June). So, I was wondering if the RA50 would be big enough or if I need to buy another Marathon. We have a Marathon in one of our cars and a Radian in the other. The Radian is my favorite, but it's such a PITA to install, we can only have it in the car that has latch, so that one isn't a possibility for them.

Any and all suggestions/thoughts welcome and appreciated.

firsttimemama
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Not sure about comparison based on child size but when I had to buy a carseat for Nana's car I did choose Roundabout50. At the time it was on sale and significantly cheaper than the Marathon

vonfirmath
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
We have the Roundabout50 and a Marathon.

My son (27 pounds, 35 inches, still rear-facing) fits both of them the same.

Since you are looking at convertibles, I assume your son is still rear facing?

mommylamb
10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
No, he's forward facing now. He turned 2 last June, and at that point was 30 lbs 36 inches. I never even considered a seat that only forward faces though... Out of curiousity, what is the benefit of one of those? Regardless a convertible is probably better for when DS moves to a booster. My sister is pregnant now, so her DC would be able to use the seat then I guess.

vonfirmath
10-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Seats that are designed to FF only will last longer for your child. It generally is not worth it to pay for a convertible if you are not going to use the RFing aspect of the seat. The $$s may be the same for a FF-only seat, but the limits will generally be higher (depending on the seat you choose) so it will last longer for you.

The three most frequently recommended seats are the Graco nautilus, Britax Frontier, and the Apex 65 (if the seating position you will put it in has head rests/high seat backs)

All three also turn into boosters, I believe.

o_mom
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
No, he's forward facing now. He turned 2 last June, and at that point was 30 lbs 36 inches. I never even considered a seat that only forward faces though... Out of curiousity, what is the benefit of one of those? Regardless a convertible is probably better for when DS moves to a booster. My sister is pregnant now, so her DC would be able to use the seat then I guess.

If you are going to need to use the seat for both kids, then the RA50 would be a good choice. However, it does not have the lockoffs, so using it rear-facing in a car without LATCH may require a locking clip so that it does not tip. If that happens, though, you could just use your Marathon in her car and keep the RA50 in yours.

ETA: Of the FF only/combo seats, the Frontier is a beast to install - would not suggest it if you are looking for an easy install. The Nautilus, Apex and the Generations65 are all reasonable to install in most cars, but the booster fit on any of them can be lousy - I would not count on being able to use them as a booster.

mom2binsd
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
My IL's car does not have latch and I love how easy my MA"s install with the lockoffs....that for me would be the reason to get a MA vs a RA50....you can find some MA's on sale for about 180-190...my FIL can install them so well using the lockoffs and the install is great everytime!

mommylamb
10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
So, I need something really easy to install. My confession is that I've never actual done an install myself. The seats in our cars were installed by a woman who has the certification to do so, and I never move them. I don't even know what the lock off is... car seats are my nightmare.

mom2binsd
10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Um, the lady who installed them should not have let you just watch, a tech is supposed to teach you how to install....the Marathon's have these lockoffs that essentially hold the seatbelt tight, so if the vehicle doesn't have latch it's much easier to get a tight install.

I think most mid sized Britax seats, the RA, MA, BLVD are sooooo easy to install..I'd get out to the car and start playing with em....I think I've got my install time down to about 3-5 min with the top tether included...means climbing into the back but not too difficult.

The folks on this board are great about helping with installs.

jjordan
10-06-2009, 09:41 AM
The seatbelt install on the RA50 is probably very easy and will not require a locking clip in most cars. We have the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, which is a very similar seat, and we do a seatbelt install (RF) without using a locking clip.

I think the RA50 is a good choice for a seat that is easy to install. It will last just as long as the Marathon for most kids, because kids usually outgrow the Marathon by height before they reach the 50# weight limit of the RA50.

I agree with the others that have said, if the seat will not be used RF then I'd go with a FF only seat. However if younger, RF children will be using it on occasion, then the RA50 is a good way to go.

mommylamb
10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
So, how is the nautilus on install then?

ETA: and do they still have a problem with the crotch strap? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

jjordan
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I think the nautilus has a reputation as having an easier install than the frontier, although I haven't personally installed one.

The crotch strap issue you're thinking of is probably that the crotch strap often gets tight and uncomfortable for kids before they outgrow the harness in the shoulders. From what I've heard it is more of a problem for chunky boys. Best bet is to go to a store that has one and see how your son fits and how much growing room he has.

mama2zoe
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
We've got a Nautilus for my DD and she's not a lightweight (57 lbs and about 45-46 inches at 5 yrs 2 mos) and the crotch area doesn't seem to be an issue. There's not a lot of extra room and she has to pull out the pad from underneath her, but it works fine. I think she's going to grow out of the straps heightwise before anything else...